Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2011, 12:31 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Read The Bill: H.R. 1135 - GovTrack.us

Jim Jordan (OH)- Evangelical Christian? Really? Up for reelection 2012. Tea supported.

Tim Scott (SC)- Evangelical Christian? Really? Token black guy in SC is up for re election 2012. Tea installed.

Scott Garrett (NJ)-'Non-denominational/ Evangelical Christian? Really? Birther. Tea supported. Up for re election 2012.

Dan Burton (IN)- "Non-denominational/ Christian primitivism/ Christian Zionist? Really? Redistricted in 1980, he's kept that chair warm since being installed. Lots of inbreeding going on in Indiana it appears. His daughter is on payroll, and his brother takes up another chair in another district installed since 1988. Dan's last election boasted 30% support in primaries. He's is up for re election 2012.

Louie Gohmert (TX)- Southern Baptist? Really? 100% unopposed primaries, no contested democrat or libertarian running against him since he parked there post gerrymandering 2004. Tea supported. Up for reelection 2012.
Why are we saying it isn't so? This is a good thing. Limits and means-testing should have been part of all welfare programs from the start.

The above was said in reference to your thread title. The rest of your post is just more babbling with no point, which is pretty typical for you. Thus, I have no response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 12:31 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Funny. That 'give a man a fish' saying is not in the bible, it's actually thought to be a Chinese proverb.

In the story when Jesus turned a few fish into many, that was a handout, not a lesson on how to fish. Why didn't he get everyone on the boat for a fishing lesson?
funny, I aint religious

but if you want to look at only christainity......Jesus DID SAY ""He said "If a man dos'nt work, niether should he eat"

the fact is simple..wefare keeps the poor in poverty

why cant liberals figure that out

Old 03-31-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
So the kids are going to starve? That's disgusting.
Typical liberal hyperbole. Wow, I find myself saying that an awful lot on these forums.

Nobody is going to starve. If they are truly in need, there are plenty of non-profit groups (most of which are backed by churches) to help them out.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:34 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
[quote=SourD;18527440]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
If you choose to walk away from your own accountability, EVERYTHING that happens there after is ON YOU! I couldn't care any less if some dirtbag has a kid and can't feed it and it dies.Not my problem. This should happen more often, tough life lessons are what some blockheads need.
Now, there you have it. THIS ^^^ is how pro-lifers really think.....and we all know it.

You whine and cry about poor widdle fetuses.......and this in how you feel about actual living, breathing, thinking, feeling children.

How very Christian and moral of you.

The hypocricy of the pro-life movement is sickening.

Now we know the real reason why conservatives are trying to slash social programs......they don't care what happens to children AFTER they are born.

But really, we pro-choicers have known that all along, haven't we?

Last edited by Annie53; 03-31-2011 at 01:04 PM..

Old 03-31-2011, 12:38 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Why are we saying it isn't so? This is a good thing. Limits and means-testing should have been part of all welfare programs from the start.

The above was said in reference to your thread title. The rest of your post is just more babbling with no point, which is pretty typical for you. Thus, I have no response.
and drug testing

Old 03-31-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
More proof that conservatism has become a doctrine of selfishness.

People are poor for many reasons. Some people become poor AFTER they have children. Here are some reasons that people become poor:

Death of spouse
Mental illness
Debilitating Physical Illness
Long term Employer Shuts down
Leaving a physically abusive relationship
Loss of work due to Vehicular Accident
and many more...

Over 50% of the country's poor are children who have no accountability for the situation they are in. For many, government benefits are the difference between eating and not eating. I am glad to have my tax dollars support such programs.

What happened to "Judge not, lest ye be judged?"

If you feel strongly about the poor becoming self sufficient-- Go out and volunteer to tutor, mentor or be a big brother/big sister. Volunteer at a school in a poor neighborhood. Join a literacy program and teach an illiterate adult to read. Volunteer to teach immigrants English...

To just sit here and judge the poor in the vilest language possible, says way more about you than it does the poor people you are indicting.
Most of these are temporary situations...thus the LIMIT on welfare spending. Mental and physical disabilities can get SSDI to replace some income, assuming the person has paid in.

Any other excuses you'd like to throw out there?

And to sit there and tell conservatives we should volunteer more...LOL. I think what you should be doing is telling the welfare recipients to get off their rear ends and get jobs!

Old 03-31-2011, 12:46 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,029,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
funny, I aint religious

but if you want to look at only christainity......Jesus DID SAY ""He said "If a man dos'nt work, niether should he eat"
This thread is about "Christian" hypocrites who say they follow Jesus but complain about helping the poor. If you aren't also such a Christian, why are you defending them?

Quote:
the fact is simple..wefare keeps the poor in poverty

why cant liberals figure that out
Hm.. poverty but head above water vs dying of starvation or exposure to the elements.. tough choice.

FYI, I'm not against helping people find work. I agree that's the best welfare and I have for a long time agreed with the "teach a man to fish" proverb.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:51 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I was doing yard work last week, some guy asked me if I need help, I thought that was nice, so I talked with him, seemed like a nice enough guy, found out he was poor, not working etc. So I offered to give him a ride to Lowes home improvement where they are hiring, or to walmart who is also hiring, or even Wendy's who is also hiring, and I know the managers too.....he looked at me like I had 5 heads and said but if I get a job they will take my welfare away.

this is the mentality of the poor today

give me, give me..I will make more babies..give me more
Believe me, I agree with you and I hate my taxes paying for all of their children. My solution ~ the sterilization scenario I described earlier.

I know that is the mentality, but banning abortion and taking away socoal safety nets for innocent children is not going to change it.

You tell them up front.....you will only get aid for two children {one would be fine with me}, after that, snip snip, or you are cut off and we will take your children away if you do not get a job and provide for them. Period.

Now THAT is a solution that would work.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:55 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE View Post
At the end of the day is there a difference between individual welfare (i.e. benefits) and corporate welfare (i.e. tax breaks)? Is there a difference in the government cutting a $10 check or the government reducing it's income $10?

I mean I, for one, am sure glad that corporate America is spending its tax breaks on overseas, outsourced labor. At least individual welfare benefits are used in THIS COUNTRY.
I frankly see little difference. We'd be a little more solvent if they actually.paid.taxes...preferably in this country.

What The Top U.S. Companies Pay In Taxes - Forbes.com

http://blog.american.com/?p=19259

Also, let's not forget that "Charity" is often tax deductible and churches usually don't pay a dime. When they start up these health clinics, just exactly who is going to fund them if they've all lost their decent jobs or are chronically underemployed?

Sorry, but I live in the real world.

Last edited by cebdark; 03-31-2011 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: added

Old 03-31-2011, 12:57 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post

30% of our kids in high school at our school get free lunch, why?

Why should I pay for a 16 year olds free lunch?
Amazing. What kind of country have we become when we begrudge a free lunch to school kids? This is something that i would never even think about. I don't give a damn if 100% of the kids in my local schools get free lunch....it's FOOD for crying out loud. This is the land of plenty. It's too much to ask to feed children in your own community?

Coming to you from the same people who not only have no problem dropping three-quarters of a trillion on bombs and bullets....in fact, they'd spend more if they could. But God forbid a half a cent of their tax money goes to a free lunch program.

SMH....right wing, conservative, Republicans. I really do hope that you guys take all 3 branches of government just for once so that these idiotic and selfish ideas can be exposed for all to see because apparently, the American public has completely forgotten the lessons of 1994-2006.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies