Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 03:47 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,581,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
So you are saying there is no such thing as too much debt or deficit?

I have a feeling that you are in a very minority position.
I did not say there is no such thing as too much debt.

Debt is not a problem right now b/c of low yields on both short and long term treasuries. Obama should borrow as much as it takes until the economy grows again.

When the economy starts growing again, rates must go up b/c of inflationary pressures (which leads to higher yields and interest pyaments). At that point, borrowing becomes a problem. Then Obama needs to cut back.

Anyone who understands the equation, GDP = C + G + I + (X-M), and knows how interest rates affect treasuries will understand this.

Last edited by Bostonian123; 04-02-2011 at 04:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 03:52 PM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Yeah the debt crisis is just in our head and doesn't really need to be paid down through taxation.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:33 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,192,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
I did not say there is no such thing as too much debt.

Debt is not a problem right now b/c of low yields on both short and long term treasuries. Obama should borrow as much as it takes until the economy grows again.

When the economy starts growing again, rates must go up b/c of inflationary pressures (which leads to higher yields and interest pyaments). At that point, borrowing becomes a problem. Then Obama needs to cut back.

Anyone who understands the equation, GDP = C + G + I + (X-M), and knows how interest rates affect treasuries will understand this.
I've asked you a couple times now how much debt or deficit is too much and I am being told we are in a recovery true or false?

Old 04-02-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
I've asked you a couple times now how much debt or deficit is too much and I am being told we are in a recovery true or false?
OK I'll bite. The total size of the debt or deficit doesn't really matter since it must be compared to the total size of the economy. I'll give you a number anyway since you want one.

999 trillion dollar national debt is too much but anything less than that is okay. We're not even close to that number.

The economy has stabilized but we are not growing yet. Are we in a recovery? I guess the answer is yes.

MY point: Obama needs to listen to the economists more. Ignore the politicians crying about the debt and deficit.

If Obama continues to do what he has been doing, he has my vote in 2012. He has handled the economy superbly considering the hand he was given.

Last edited by Bostonian123; 04-02-2011 at 05:02 PM..

Old 04-02-2011, 04:53 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
The GOP has the issue, they are on the right side. Let obama explain to the American people why $60 Billion in cuts, out of a budget of nearly $4 TRILLION and a deficit of $1.5 TRILLION is "extreme".

I can't wait.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post

999 trillion dollar national debt is too much but anything less than that is okay. We're not even close to that number.
I think this answer speaks for itself.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
I think this answer speaks for itself.
Only because you asked for a number and I gave you one

It is quite simple: DEFICITS DON'T (CURRENTLY) MATTER

Old 04-02-2011, 05:05 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
We are in this perceived "Debt Crisis", due in large part to the Recession. We must recover a working America, before anything is even possible be done about the growing debt. It is foolish to add to the Recession, as is the TParty idea, before the Country get people working and hence providing revenue.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:15 PM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times
The debt crisis is real and recovery will be stalled so long as government continues to spend and artificially inflate segments of the economy.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
We are in this perceived "Debt Crisis", due in large part to the Recession. We must recover a working America, before anything is even possible be done about the growing debt. It is foolish to add to the Recession, as is the TParty idea, before the Country get people working and hence providing revenue.
Perceived???

So now you are saying that balancing the budget will cause a prolonged recession or keep the economy from growing?

I have heard and read several times now that the problem is not the income but the spending, this seems logical to me since this is how I run my own budget, within my means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies