Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 02:49 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by passat View Post
We need to get that top tax rate back to at least 1980 levels to straighten out this country.
No, it should be kept in the 30% bracket. It is what is best for the people and the economy.

A 50% (or higher) tax rate is ridiculous and unfair for U.S. taxpayers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 03:06 PM

29 posts, read 21,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
No, it should be kept in the 30% bracket. It is what is best for the people and the economy.

A 50% (or higher) tax rate is ridiculous and unfair for U.S. taxpayers.

In 1980 the top 1% TOOK 9% of the total income in 2007 the top 1% TOOK 23%. That 14 % extra they took no SS taxes are paid on.

Now SS is in trouble, no sir get them taxes up where they belong 70% or higher.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:51 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
What you may feel is Constitutional inconsistency, someone else may feel is Constitutional consistency. To disrespect someones else opinion, does not reflect poorly on the person you disrespect.
"Feelings" have nothing to do with adhering to the Constitution. The words are quite clear, quite objective. Political moderates are wishy washy and ruled by "feelings" rather than objective to the clearly deliniated Constitutional limits of the federal government.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:06 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
Quote:
Originally posted by LifelongMOGal
"Feelings" have nothing to do with adhering to the Constitution. The words are quite clear, quite objective. Political moderates are wishy washy and ruled by "feelings" rather than objective to the clearly deliniated Constitutional limits of the federal government.
Okay. Put down the kool-aid for a minute. Moderates are not inherently wishy-washy. Some *gasp!* actually have a mixture of liberal and conservative views. And they've thought about them too. Hard to grasp, I know, but try to wrap your head around it sometime when you're not watching Fox News.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:23 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
It seems like everyone is either a "forget everyone else but me" Tea Partier or a "tax the rich until urban problems are all solved" progressive.

What happened to the JFK/Nelson Rockefeller style moderates in America?
I see it quite different i that progressicve say forget everyone but my special inetrest groups.i want it free. But I think the defciit for the first time emans that fiscal conservative policy are comig one way or the otehr.people scream about the budget cuts are roudg nubers now, Stopig the riase in debt ceitkig alone will cause more cut choices than naythg now.We cannot just keep kiciking the can down the road for our children and grand children to pay and suffer.We can't eapect for such a small per centage to pay for entitlemnts of such large groups ;we need to live closer to what we take in while makig sure we have investment to supply jobs and a future forthem also. Not suck GDP tot eh point hat they face higher and higherr unemployment;thru continuing to borrow 40 cents out of every dollar government spends.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:40 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,024 times
I don't believe moderates even exist. Even on the Internet where people can be anyone they choose, the laughably left and ridiculously right all claim to be moderate. Even the most insane people think they are level headed and rational.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:50 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
In 1980 the top 1% TOOK 9% of the total income in 2007 the top 1% TOOK 23%. That 14 % extra they took no SS taxes are paid on.

Now SS is in trouble, no sir get them taxes up where they belong 70% or higher.
A higher tax rate is not the answer; less spending is. In other words, the government should not spend more than it receives in revenue.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:15 PM

806 posts, read 2,884,793 times
Quote:
My assertion is the biggest problem with America today is the accumulation of wealth by the top 1% to the destruction of the rest in the country. I believe that if that rate was still at 90% the jobs would not have gone overseas because there would have been no benefit to the top 1%.
It's not the accumulation, no matter where and how it occurs, it's the loopholes that allow for non-taxation that is the problem. I'm all for everyone, everywhere to get rich, but they must also pay their share. I despise Neal Boortz for his ignorance in world affairs but agree with him on the fair tax issue.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:56 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
If you think the words of the Constitution are clear and objective you haven't thought about it enough.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:54 AM

29 posts, read 21,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
A higher tax rate is not the answer; less spending is. In other words, the government should not spend more than it receives in revenue.
Your talking oranges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies