Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 06:15 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times

Advertisements

Worth and value, cannot be measured in gold or dolar bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 06:25 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,902,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Seriously, I have no need of a Ferrari. The only thing a ferrari is worth to me, is the amount I could sell it to someone else for.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:02 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,224,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Ask the people in Japan who lost their homes in a giant flood about how your plan would have worked out for them.

Your plan only works if your area isn't danger of some of natural or man made disaster.

I wouldn't be such a smart a**.
Right back atcha, Seain...

There's no place on earth that is free of the danger of some kind of natural or man-made disaster.

My way maximizes my tangible and edible assets for the future much better than shiny metals can, IMHO. Isn't it great that we all have free choice about how best to protect our futures?

Oh, did I forget to mention that I have food storage in THREE separate locations precisely because I HAVE factored in the overdue Cascadian Subduction Zone earthquake and Mt. Rainier blowing its top? And my land isn't in a floodplain, even the 100-year one.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:19 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,217,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
There was no historical mention made as to why States never bought and issued gold and silver coins into circulation.

"No State shall make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts;"

U.S. Constitution - Article 1 Section 10 - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

I don't see why all of the States didn't secede from the District of Columbia.
He does talk about state banks near the end of video two.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:38 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Prices do not measure value. Prices are an index.
In a manner of speaking you are right, I think. Perhaps if you expand your comment I might know for sure.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:44 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,197,413 times
The Infatuation With Gold, I Don't Get It.

It's shiny, we like shiny things, shiny things are good. (grunts)

I have pondered this myself as well, a great deal in fact. However, not being one of the forum forbes 500 members, I tend to look at things in the abstract and from the moon. I understand the concept of value given to rare and finite things, be it gold or some rare sea shell, or whatever. I also understand that even finite things have value placed upon them that is rather speculative and as viewed from a very human point of view as opposed to a more purely pragmatic value. At the same time, having now lived through several boom-bust cycles, I can see the need for a throttle of sorts placed upon what is now basically an arbitrary value based upon nothing more than faith.

Basing currency upon a purely finite and rare thing seems as though it wouldn't be able to cope with the modern economic need to expand and contract, yet based upon faith, the system seems just as prone to disaster. So I don't know the answer or the solution, but I do kind of understand the basis of why people turn to gold or silver or whatever. Its not a total mystery, as is the solution.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:51 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Precious metals are tools of trade and have been thoughout most of recorded history. There are many tools of trade and gold is but one.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:56 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,593,395 times
to all: i'm not gonna read 56 posts, so i'm responding to the op and the op only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
It seems to me that gold has no more intrinsic value than Conch shells, eagle feathers or dare I say it, paper money. As a commodity of exchange, you can't eat it,
when i was in 5th grade i thought the same as you but then i was told gold has some industrial uses

Old 04-05-2011, 08:09 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,507,138 times
Perhaps we just get rid of money in all forms entirely. It's a rather foolish thing no matter how you cut it.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:02 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,634,663 times
Gold can be transported any where to any country and exchanged for there currency. Every ounce of gold that has ever been mined is still in existance. Silver is an industrial metal and consumed, each missile we fire has a ton of silver on it. Silver is slowly becoming more precious than gold due to it being an investment and industrial commidity. China just allowed it's people to own precious metals for the first time in 60 years, and they are hungry for it. The Chinese would rather own gold or silver than any currency. Now we have 1 to 2 billion people now on the market for precious metals when do you think the price may fall. If you read the foregin papers you will see where all this turmoil in the governments is causing people to buy gold and some countries are having problems pruchasing gold or silver at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies