Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2011, 09:55 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Worth and value, cannot be measured in gold or dolar bills.
see, i think it can.

can they do it to perfection? no, i don't think so but, as long as corruption stays out of it, gold/papr money can do what they were originally intended to do for society. but we're so far gone, so deep into the corruption and complexity we really bastardized a good idea but it was bound to happen i guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 09:56 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
And many neo-cons hate admitting guilt
neo-cons tend to be progressive and support big daddy gubmint laws.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:01 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
In a manner of speaking you are right, I think. Perhaps if you expand your comment I might know for sure.
Look at how demand graphs are done in economics 101.

1 person will pay $10 for a product
2 people will pay $9
3 will pay $8

All prices do is provide a common medium on which to compare how we value two different things in relation to one another.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:55 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,987,005 times
Quote:
I have read each and every post (Summer73 excepted) and the gist seems to be that gold is rare which is somewhat true, and has a great track record but very few have either attempted or have come close to demonstrating the as a commodity for exchange has any intrinsic value. What makes an ounce of gold worth whatever dollar amount placed upon it?
I liked my explanation. It is because it is.
Quote:

One of issue that has piqued my curiosity is how the total reserve value of gold correlates to the size of the economy. For example if let's say the total amount of goal is only a fraction of GDP, then the question becomes how can an economy rise to a certain dollar value if that dollar is pegged to set price in gold.
http://www.bearishnews.com/wp-conten...l-debt-gdp.jpg This graph should explain it. Debt the borrowing and re-borrowing of the same limited supply of money.
Quote:
This isn't just about printing money (which like gold a exchange commodity that can be made rare or abundant at will) but is there enough gold to back an expansive global economy?
Nope, that is why we left the gold standard.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:02 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
no different than diamonds, except diamonds aren't rare at all just falsely perceived as so, thank you De Beers
supposedly, gem-quality diamonds are rare meaning only 30 percent are gem-quality. the other 70 percent are used as industrial diamonds, presumably for cutting and who knows what else.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:01 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post
I liked my explanation. It is because it is. http://www.bearishnews.com/wp-conten...l-debt-gdp.jpg This graph should explain it. Debt the borrowing and re-borrowing of the same limited supply of money.
Nope, that is why we left the gold standard.

Congress shall have the power to . . . and regulate the value thereof.

Last edited by ergohead; 04-06-2011 at 12:54 PM..

Old 04-06-2011, 02:35 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,633,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
supposedly, gem-quality diamonds are rare meaning only 30 percent are gem-quality. the other 70 percent are used as industrial diamonds, presumably for cutting and who knows what else.
De Beers has bought diamonds from Russia, Africa and trys to keep most diamonds from hitting the market that way diamonds look precious. In reality with diamonds being produced in Russia, Africa, and Austrialia are way more abundant than most people realize. The real reason is De beers holds most of the diamonds and only lets a portion out each year. Other wise there would be a big drop in cost if the diamonds went to market.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:52 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,403,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
While I would agree that in an apocalyptic scenario that gold would feel sort of worthless(my friend always says that the most valuable items will be guns and ammunition). It is still the perfect foundation for a common currency. Every country has some amounts of gold already in it. Gold is untarnishable, unburnable, and rare. Those dollar bills you have in your pocket wear out very quickly. And are easy to rip, get damaged from water(like being washed), and will degrade into topsoil if left outside.
But what happens when some clever person remembers the plot of Goldfinger?

YouTube - Goldfinger 6/8

Old 04-06-2011, 03:10 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
surely conch shells would work just as well..

Old 04-06-2011, 03:31 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
surely conch shells would work just as well..
Sure. Let's make a trade then... 1000 pounds of my conch shells for 100 pounds of your gold sounds good?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies