Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 02:48 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,957,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc42gb43 View Post
To send the messages that prospective jurors can't just make up whatever crap they want to without consequence. If every prospective juror did this, it would cause a huge negative impact on our courts.

Does anybody hear actually think that this woman was as prejudiced against all minorities and the NYPD as she claimed? We can't put ourselves in the courtroom, but I feel pretty confident in saying that the judge concluded that the woman was not being honest in her views; the judge is within his rights to proscribe an appropriate sanction, including more jury duty.

So, not being honest in your views is a crime?

If so, we have a whole lot of politicians, media, parasites in the financial industry etc to go after!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Well, two yutes, judges have a lot of discretion to punish somebody for what they perceive to be misstatements or lies made while in voir dire or on the questionnaire.

I'm not exactly sure how it works in the EDNY criminal court, but in many, many places, prospective jurors fill out the questionnaire before they're brought into the courtroom or find out which case they might be put on. If that's the case, she wasn't trying to get out of a mob trial, she was just trying to get out of a trial. Either way, jurors are or should be told explicitly that lying on the questionnaire is a crime and obstructs justice.
SO lying is a crime.

Again, WHY THE HELL are we not making it a crime for the media, politicians and the like when they tell a lie.

I'll tell you why, it's because they make the laws, and their tailored for the little people only. Any laws that may come up that can cause a hindrance to them or those in bed with them are made legal.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:58 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
So, not being honest in your views is a crime?

If so, we have a whole lot of politicians, media, parasites in the financial industry etc to go after!
I hate dishonest people.

I just hate them.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
I hate dishonest people.

I just hate them.
I hate dishonest people as well.

But for a juror, its minor, compared to the ones that lie to 300+ million people daily, in the media and from politicians lips.

So, in this instance, the judge has the power to hold it against them.

What do we the little people have for power against politicians and the media that lie?

And I mean some action to directly effect a politician and not just ignoring him?

Old 04-08-2011, 03:20 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,933,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
SO lying is a crime.

Again, WHY THE HELL are we not making it a crime for the media, politicians and the like when they tell a lie.

I'll tell you why, it's because they make the laws, and their tailored for the little people only. Any laws that may come up that can cause a hindrance to them or those in bed with them are made legal.

Actually, excpet for certain specific circumstances, lying is NOT a crime.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:39 PM

589 posts, read 756,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
An incensed federal judge sentenced a racist Brooklyn woman to indefinite jury duty on Tuesday after she trashed the NYPD and minorities. "This is an outrage, and so are you!" Federal Judge Nicholas Garaufis told the woman, holding up her bile-filled juror questionnaire.

Juror No. 799, an Asian woman in her 20s who said she works in the garment industry, was up for jury duty in the death penalty trial of Bonanno crime boss Vincent (Vinny Gorgeous) Basciano.

Read more: Judge gives 'Juror No. 799' indefinite jury duty after she makes racist remarks on questionnaire

The lady herself is a minority...She is Asian. So how was she trashing minorities ? She would be trashing herself in that case. Thats just being PC, she trashed Black people and hispanics. Oh and Haitans.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:46 PM

589 posts, read 756,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Sounds like he is trampling her free speech. Disturbing that disliking other races and thinking cops are lazy is the cause for her punishment.

I dont see where her remarks are racist unless some remarks on the questionaire where not covered in the article.

Well we can see why this Judge made this stupid decision.

"Recently Judge Garaufis presided over the NYC Firefighters Hiring Case. He ruled "that out of every five entry-level hires, the Fire Department must agree to reserve two hires for black priority applicants and one for a Hispanic priority applicant until 293 qualifying minority candidates have been offered a position." This ruling is intended to "compensate minority applicants who took discriminatory entrance exams, which were used from 1999 to 2002."

Nicholas Garaufis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I remember that firefighter case...Amazing how issues like that are blacklisted by the media and we never hear of it. The test that was called discriminatory by that worthless judge, was in fact 100% neutral and it asked questions that pertained to being a firefighter, aswell as basic verbal [communication] questions. The issue was that more black and hispanic people failed it than white people...So somehow it was a racist test because of that. Thats like saying 4+4 is a racist question on a math test if more black people answer that wrong than white people do. Same issue, and sadly im sure the judge would agree that 4+4 is racist if that were the case.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:25 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Written by someone who feels a need to share their opinions with the society that they don't need. Interesting.
Everyone is entitled to MY opinion. That doesn't mean any of you hear it or acknowledge, and that isn't a requirement. I express it because I can, and will continue to do so until death prevents me from doing so.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:48 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Everyone is entitled to MY opinion. That doesn't mean any of you hear it or acknowledge, and that isn't a requirement. I express it because I can, and will continue to do so until death prevents me from doing so.
Like to see you say that in front of a fk'd up, horn dog judge!

Old 04-08-2011, 05:41 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
Quote:
To send the messages that prospective jurors can't just make up whatever crap they want to without consequence. If every prospective juror did this, it would cause a huge negative impact on our courts.

Does anybody hear actually think that this woman was as prejudiced against all minorities and the NYPD as she claimed? We can't put ourselves in the courtroom, but I feel pretty confident in saying that the judge concluded that the woman was not being honest in her views; the judge is within his rights to proscribe an appropriate sanction, including more jury duty.
How 'bout the judge is sending out the wrong message? He sounds more like a goon in black robe........

Not to mention, how many Americans think cops are lazy? It might be a stereotype but.............

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies