Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 01:35 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,831,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
The Tea Party is the only one wanting large spending cuts and that includes the military.
Out in out downright lies. The only ones that want to balance the budget and slash the pork are the democrats.

Obama has the chainsaw fired up: Calls for 400 billion in defense cuts.

Obama wants $400 billion in defense cuts by 2023 | The Raw Story

Ryan and the radical right tea party plan? "Ryan’s “deficit reduction plan” calls for a $22 billion increase in defense"

Rep. Ryan?s Plan Fails to Address Defense Spending

The right and especially the tea party can keep dreaming that they actually want real cuts. It's nothing but political fodder. The only ones that want real cuts are the left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 02:13 PM

37,971 posts, read 17,916,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Out in out downright lies. The only ones that want to balance the budget and slash the pork are the democrats.

Ryan and the radical right tea party plan? "Ryan’s “deficit reduction plan” calls for a $22 billion increase in defense"

The right and especially the tea party can keep dreaming that they actually want real cuts. It's nothing but political fodder. The only ones that want real cuts are the left.
Ryan is not Tea Party, Ryan is a Republican. The Tea Party is for lowering the debt and smaller government.

How in the world can Obama want military cuts when he is spending close to 5 billion a day on Libya, on a war that doesn't do one iota to protect our borders? "Don't do as I do, do as I say" Does the madness from the looney left ever stop?????

Like I said, the Tea Party specifically, Rand Paul and Mike Lee of the Senate, are part of the few ones who are serious about cutting the budget especially when it comes to the military. The proposals total budget cuts came down from the 500 bill to 200 billion, yet the republocrats didnt budge.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:18 PM

1,081 posts, read 917,382 times
The US could easily slash DOD contracts and not affect a single combat soldier. Been there, seen the waste.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:28 PM

17,403 posts, read 12,002,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Not in the least...
Then explain to me where I'm wrong. While you're at it, can you explain to me what exactly our govt is responsible for? Because I'd like to understand why we would end protection of our nation, yet continue handing out political favors to lobbyists, and keep up the unbelievable waste and fraud of federal programs.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Wow, it's like a cut and paste talking point from Beck and fox news.

The #1 pork barrel spending is military. The right wing goons shaft the taxpayers to keep the defense contractors well paid, not to mention their insatiable blood lust for war. All at the same time slashing benefits and health care to our military heroes. If the right were truly about lowering the deficit, military would be the first thing on the list which ironically enough the right doesn't want to touch (who'd a thunk it)

Secondly it's against federal law to use government funds for abortions. Facts are hard things to understand for some, I know,..

As for the cowboy poetry and frog statue gatherings that sound like the rootin' tootin' tea party festival at cousin Darnell's roadhouse, home of the deep south's finest fried roadkill Yeeeeeeeeee ha!
First of all, I don't watch Beck. Secondly, I never said there aren't ways to cut waste everywhere in our spending.

But when the left ONLY wants to cut the military and raise taxes, but leave their pet projects alone, I have to cry foul.

If the left were truly about lowering the deficit, those pork barrel projects on the left would be on the table as much as the military. But we know they aren't.

While you can mock the tea party all you want, the FACT is that the cowboy festival is the sweetheart program of Harry Reid, that nutjob leftie from Nevada. The frog statue is outside the Pentagon - hardly a redneck holler.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:

Puhleeeeez, not while I'm drinking my coffee. Just spit all over my monitor. The democrats had months to deal with deficits and the budgets, yet they FAILED to address it. They've never passed a budget since they've been in the majority.

Can't take any cuts seriously when the only ones being talked about are the military.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:44 PM

164 posts, read 104,019 times
Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15. Ronald Reagan

Old 04-15-2011, 02:48 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,174,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimer2 View Post
I do not hear Republicans talking about cutting our over bloated military to help balance the budget.

I assume that they do not want to make the cuts.

Why?

Why not?
Let's see, cut the military budget while we're at war in order to pay for mr obama's wasteful democratic pet projects? I do hope you're kidding.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:06 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,044,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyBaaBaa View Post
The US could easily slash DOD contracts and not affect a single combat soldier. Been there, seen the waste.
Yep, been there done that when this same thing was done while my husband and I served in the Marine Corps. It did have an impact and it did make performing our core functions very difficult and at times impossible. But, hey adapt and overcome because a politician wants to score a few points, right?

Where do you think DoD gets those products that military uses? I think there's a ton of waste with defense contractors and it could be reformed but to say that just slashing them would have no impact on the warfighter? I disagree. Beleive it or not, there are actually some products made by defense contractors that we DO need in the military.

Last edited by southbel; 04-15-2011 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-15-2011, 03:08 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,212,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimer2 View Post
I do not hear Republicans talking about cutting our over bloated military to help balance the budget.

I assume that they do not want to make the cuts.

Why?

Why not?
Because not properly funding the military is dangerous on a national scale to the nth degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies