Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 04:40 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,774,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phylogeny View Post
It's great that your entire family can do this. However, most of my patients com from nursing home care and many of them have illnesses which necessitate nursing home care.

I had one family that took separate work shifts, gave up their married life to each other for the last decade to care for the old man. However admirable it may be, giving up your home life and your marriage so that the old man won't have to go to a nursing home that is a 2 minute drive away seems....I'm not sure I'd consider that a good balance. You should not sacrifice one family member for another.

This woman was starting to have a breakdown from the sheer exhaustion and loneliness of caring for her father without ever seeing her husband since he has to work the opposite shift. I did not judge them at all when they tearfully decided to put him in a nursing home. Also, because of the sheer exhaustion of watching him, they were not able to catch him every minute and he would periodically fall because they were so tired.

Caretaker exhausation is something most people don't think about when they make claims that people are inherently selfish about placing loved ones in nursing home.

My patients' nurses are exhausted after a 12 hour shift from caring for some of them.

24hr care, with no respite, would be financially disastrous for some families and mentally disastrous for the caretakers.

Every person's health situation is different. Every family has different needs. Some family members may also have other familial obligations including disabled children, bankruptacy, drug dependence etc.

I had one family that swore up and down that nursing home is NOT an option. However, their father needed 24 hr/care and round the clock watch and he could not be moved every few months for families rotate.

In other words, the entire family of five children and THEIR spouses/children would have to radically change their lives to make sure he receives 24 hr care and 24 hr watch if he doesn't go to a nursing home.

While they may all love him, I'm not sure five families are willing to uproot themselves and their jobs so grandpa can be cared for in the way that the medical staff requires. Plus, he would require expert nursing care on top of that, which, even with the man's excellent medical care, he would not afford.

I agree that many families could take their loved ones home to care for. My own grandparents were care for at home, despite one having a stroke with significant neurologic impairment, the other with cancer. However, I have seen enough cases where it isn't possible without sacrificing other family members (either financially or mentally). For those, they have my sympathies. Working at a hospital, I have learned not to judge anymore.

I know not everyone can and need actual medical care. I also know that a lot of people if it were only them and a spouse or something would have issues.
I do think that home health aides are a big help in those cases. It's not for everyone, but I do think that more should try to care for their own.

God bless you and the work you do. The elderly really love the caring and compassion of caregivers, whether family or professional (and whether they will admit it or not ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 05:09 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,621,844 times
Anyone pay for a brain injured child here? here is the cost

Approximately 5.3 million Americans (that’s almost 2% of the US population) currently have a long-term or lifelong need for help as a result of a Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI). Almost 1.4 million Americans sustain a TBI each year. By the numbers, each person has a 1:300 chance of experiencing a TBI. In addition, it is estimated that 1 million children will experience a concussion each year with 30,000 of these children incurring long-term disabilities as a result. The estimated lifetime costs of brain injury (including direct medical costs and indirect costs such as lost productivity) totaled $60 billion in 2000 and has been on the rise ever since.

The Bureau of the Census reports an annual cost of $84,285 (inflated from 1993 to 1994 dollars using the consumer price index–all items). Many TBI and spinal cord injury patients require long term care.

So much for compassionate christians,lol. I really believe in karma. Maybe someday they will get a yearly bill for 84k.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:47 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,171,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Anyone pay for a brain injured child here? here is the cost

Approximately 5.3 million Americans (that’s almost 2% of the US population) currently have a long-term or lifelong need for help as a result of a Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI). Almost 1.4 million Americans sustain a TBI each year. By the numbers, each person has a 1:300 chance of experiencing a TBI. In addition, it is estimated that 1 million children will experience a concussion each year with 30,000 of these children incurring long-term disabilities as a result. The estimated lifetime costs of brain injury (including direct medical costs and indirect costs such as lost productivity) totaled $60 billion in 2000 and has been on the rise ever since.

The Bureau of the Census reports an annual cost of $84,285 (inflated from 1993 to 1994 dollars using the consumer price index–all items). Many TBI and spinal cord injury patients require long term care.

So much for compassionate christians,lol. I really believe in karma. Maybe someday they will get a yearly bill for 84k.
When you have children who are involved in sports, ride bicycles and skate boards without helmets, and do other dangerous things like ghost riding, etc. you are going to have traumatic brain injuries. Should the public be forced to bear the expense of unnecessary sports injuries, careless parenting and poorly supervised children?

I. Think. Not.

20yrsinBranson
20yrsinBranson

Old 04-17-2011, 02:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,930,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
When you have children who are involved in sports, ride bicycles and skate boards without helmets, and do other dangerous things like ghost riding, etc. you are going to have traumatic brain injuries. Should the public be forced to bear the expense of unnecessary sports injuries, careless parenting and poorly supervised children?

I. Think. Not.

20yrsinBranson
20yrsinBranson
Wow, just wow!

So parents are supposed to lock their kids in their rooms 24/7? What makes you think the above are the only causes of TBI? Please provide a link, and quit blaming parents for everything!

Old 04-17-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Wow, just wow!

So parents are supposed to lock their kids in their rooms 24/7? What makes you think the above are the only causes of TBI? Please provide a link, and quit blaming parents for everything!

Katiana i owe you some rep. and as a former mod my points ad up.

That earlier post is disgusting. So...parents who had a kid in a bad accident are supposed to fork over every cent?.

Brain injured children (and young adults) lead horrible lives. The poster who hates the victim, deserves some karma. I cant even believe the inhumanity of some people here.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:

I. Think. Not.

20yrsinBranson
20yrsinBranson
There, but for fortune, go you.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:20 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,567,862 times
Freeloaders? Perhaps you are only getting your information from paid advertising or Fox news -- one could argue they are synonymous, but those freeloaders you are referring to cannot get work. Why, you ask? Primarily because Big Business took the nation's jobs offshore, and we did not stop them. Further, we put more money in the pockets of the rich that make those decisions every day with our political support and purchases. Why not let the poor and those on fixed incomes be, and tax the ones that caused -- and still cause the problems to begin with.

Are you aware that even though Healthcare is the 2nd biggest budget item in the National Budget, more than 80% is spent extending the lives of terminally ill patients for another 3-6 months? Are you aware that it was legal for the insurance companies to deny coverage to people considered too expensive to provide care, so they were foisted on the taxpayers to cover, until President Obama implemented the Affordable Care Act just over a year ago? Indeed, leave Medicare alone, AND Medicaid.

Have you been paying attention to the number of homeless in our country, and were you aware that more than 25% are families with children? Have you noticed how many are the returned veterans that everyone waves flags and yellow ribbons about -- until they come home?

Here's an idea, stop being self-righteous and start collecting the details. You might find your opinions become more thoughtful and compassionate.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:25 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,042,732 times
Quote:

I. Think. Not.

20yrsinBranson
20yrsinBranson

How heartless of you.

What about injuries from falls? Various accidents? Impact injuries? Birth defects? Aneurisms? etc.?

Old 04-17-2011, 06:43 PM

lol. In Missouri they only think ICU brain injured patients are kids that are reckless bicycle riders. Must be nice to be that imbecilic.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:55 PM

7,978 posts, read 9,189,876 times
The problem is people with developmental delays, TBIs etc are having their services cut due to the cost of putting more healthy, but low income people onto Medicaid rolls.

Revenue needs to be increased, but there is no appetite for a general tax increase across the board. Taxing only the rich isn't going to do it.

Why can't Medicaid/Medicare be opened as an alternative to private insurance? If they are more effective than private insurance plans, they should be able to attract more people who can pay premiums into the system to enhance revenue.

I'm self employed. I'd LOVE to have more health insurance options to consider. Getting a better deal in premiums while contributing to the financial health of the systems would be a win/win situation.

This should have been part of a pilot program in Obama care. It wouldn't have cost the govt a dime. Actuaries could have set the premium price to ensure a "profit" for the systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies