Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 06:24 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,338,593 times

Advertisements

Wow, none of the republicans I know are even remotely similar to the ones described in the OP.

26 years old. Have you had the pleasure of watching your hard earned money be frittered away by our massive government yet, or are you still awaiting entry into the workforce?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 06:24 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,255,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I am a 26 year old male who was brought up in a very conservative Republican, Catholic, 100% Italian family, in rural Connecticut. I have always voted Republican in every election (national, state and local) passionately. Now, as I get older, wiser and learn more about our world, I can't help but feel that the conservative Republican way is not the best for America and humanity in general.

Party lines aside, at this time, I would classify myself as "fiscally conservative and socially liberal." I do not like big debt and out of control spending. We should not be spending money we don't have unless it can be paid off in a reasonable amount of time. And we should always strive to have a fair tax system.

On the other hand, I have recently left religion and discovered that I am atheist and believe that all religion is manmade and should have no place in public policy. It's perfectly fine for the American people to practice any religion they choose, but the part that really angers me is when we see people defending things such as keeping the Ten Commandments in public buildings and the like. Or when people say this country was founded on Christian principles, which is utterly false. There are circumstances in which abortion is a perfectly fine procedure and we should pursue stem cell research further. And lastly...the biggest no brainer, is that gay couples should have the right to marry. Most homosexuals grew up in traditional Christian families and contribute to society no more or less than heterosexuals. The government seriously needs to stop being involved in peoples' love lives.

With that said, I am seriously considering voting for Barack Obama in 2012. Trust me...I absolutely despised him back in 2008. I had a McCain bumper sticker on my car and enjoyed going home and trash-talking about him with my parents every night during the pre-election months. This doesn't mean that I approve of him as a president all of a sudden, but I am truly disgusted by social conservatives that live in most of the red states across America. Basically, in order to be accepted by them, you have to be Christian, white and heterosexual. This has got to end. And, what disgusted me to great lengths was when Bush setup a "faith-based initiative" fund that gave public funds to Evangelical organizations. This led to the removal of the teachings of evolution from science books, which were replaced with creationism (the idea that God spontaneously created the world).

If I vote Republican again, it will revert America back toward a path of social intolerance, hate against gays and atheists, and other minority groups. Take a good look at all of our potential 2012 GOP candidates. All of them are anti-gay, Christian right-wingers. We need greater separation of church and state and greater social tolerance. I'm sorry to report, but we have a long way to go.

Besides, most Republican tax breaks and spending cuts are hardly life changing anyway. I'd rather pay more tax and see women have the right to choose and see same-sex couples get married.

The unspoken truth of much of the Republican party is that they have a hidden agenda to assimilate the laws of the Bible into modern day policy. They just don't want to admit it or talk about it. They defend things just for the sake of defending it, even if it's truly wrong. But that's just what's happening and I can't see my country which I love so much go backward like that.
I think that quite a few kids who grow up in Christian or Catholic environments, and later discover they are gay, come to a conclusion similar to your own. You had mentioned in a thread you started in the Religion Forum about being actively gay, so I'm sure that your upbringing gave you some conflict before coming to terms with life as it best fits you.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:27 PM

831 posts, read 681,796 times
What i hate about republicans is intollerance for anything different to their own and yet they push their agenda on every facet of the political spektrum. They do not want to share power with anyone but want to have you think otherwise. They are very much anti progress nowadays, the world has changed around them and will still cling to their old ideals to their last dying breathe. Extremism doesnt only rest on those muslims terrorists shoulders afterall.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:47 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,984,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
You are simply experiencing a delayed parental rebellion - you will be liberal for maybe 5 - 10 years - then, if you become a productive member of society, you will learn to separate family rebellion from the truth. I went through this stage while in High School and College (I was a big Jimmy Carter supporter), and then gained my senses (Reagan in 80)
Actually, I've been in the workforce for 5 years now. I am a professional tax accountant and earn $67K with a 12% annual bonus and work hard for my money. About 30% of it goes to taxes, but I'm living just fine and saving a lot. This has nothing to do with family rebellion. I told you, I would go home every night and trash talk about Democrats and Obama with my parents. We had no political belief differences. I would describe it more as my evolving political views.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:52 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,319,793 times
Quote:
Party lines aside, at this time, I would classify myself as "fiscally conservative and socially liberal."

The unspoken truth of much of the Republican party is that they have a hidden agenda to assimilate the laws of the Bible into modern day policy. They just don't want to admit it or talk about it. They defend things just for the sake of defending it, even if it's truly wrong. But that's just what's happening and I can't see my country which I love so much go backward like that.
As a fiscal conservative and social anarchist, I agree and understand your distaste of the Republican party. You've definitely got a point there.

I wish there was a new party which more clearly represents my beliefs. I think a lot of young people who are fiscally conservative and socially liberal would agree with me.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:53 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,567,313 times
Quote:
Actually, I've been in the workforce for 5 years now. I am a professional tax accountant and earn $67K with a 12% annual bonus and work hard for my money. About 30% of it goes to taxes, but I'm living just fine and saving a lot. This has nothing to do with family rebellion. I told you, I would go home every night and trash talk about Democrats and Obama with my parents. We had no political belief differences. I would describe it more as my evolving political views.
However you end up - liberal/conservative - just make sure it's your choice and not brainwashing of some sort. My folks are in their 80s and like Obama - I despise Obama - but that's just politics - my folks love me and I love them - that's what's important.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:09 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,229,583 times
Quote:
The best advice I can give is don't get involved in left or right philosophy, all it really does lock you into team thinking. You end up spending your time defending the politicians and pundits involved in said team and not in critical thinking about issues. Most people spend more time hurling rhetorical based insults than substance.

The left and right are quickly becoming one authoritarian focused group, your best bet is to align with those of us who are actually socially liberal and fiscally conservative, not just in rhetoric only. Eventually this will be the battle lines.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:11 PM

232 posts, read 221,604 times
I'm 26 and the debate in Wisconsin shifted me from liberal to conservative. What do you really have if you have no money?

Old 04-15-2011, 07:15 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,229,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJefferson View Post
I'm 26 and the debate in Wisconsin shifted me from liberal to conservative. What do you really have if you have no money?
I hope you aren't a republican, they are anything but fiscally conservative.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:17 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,999,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJefferson View Post
You're quite odd then because the Walker fiasco turned public opinion against him.

It's not even close. I suspect you were right winger all along pretending to be some open minded independent....ol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies