Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 08:27 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times

Advertisements

The chances for a rational discussion of our energy future after the name calling starts is about the same as finding natural gas in my back yard. Another waste of electrons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 11:00 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Most electricity generating plants can be retrofitted to use natural gas as fuel. The USA could power these plants for pennies on the dollar compared to coal, diesel or nuclear. All that need be done is run pipelines and the most important energy source we have can be reduced significantly. The most important energy source? Electricity. You are using it if reading this. Low priced NG used to create electricity is win-win.

NG is 2nd on the list for use in the USA as is, why not convert all the way? We have more than enough NG to power our electrical needs.

EIA

Old 06-29-2015, 11:12 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,936 times
There's really no reason for every new home built in the US to not have photovoltaic systems for electricity. That $20,000 investment over a thirty year mortgage period more than pays for itself. That's a green system that works great at the micro level and allows for self sufficiency that conservatives should be touting.

As for natural gas, you'll see more of it for heating and cars as the privately owned infrastructure gets put into place. Fuel oil delivery has been the norm in places that didn't have readily available natural gas supplies. So unless you're advocating a big infusion on government $$ to build pipelines all over New England, I don't know when that will change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Most electricity generating plants can be retrofitted to use natural gas as fuel. The USA could power these plants for pennies on the dollar compared to coal, diesel or nuclear. All that need be done is run pipelines and the most important energy source we have can be reduced significantly. The most important energy source? Electricity. You are using it if reading this. Low priced NG used to create electricity is win-win.

NG is 2nd on the list for use in the USA as is, why not convert all the way? We have more than enough NG to power our electrical needs.

EIA
That's already happening. Natural gas has done more to weaken the demand for coal than any EPA regulation.

Last edited by Mr. Mon; 06-29-2015 at 11:34 AM..

Old 06-29-2015, 11:23 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,529,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Why green,green,green, to get off our oil dependence?

Natural gas is here. A lot of it.
Why not the push to get more and more natural gas vehicles?
All the diesel and gas vehicles, could be running an engine specifically designed to run off very clean burning natural gas.

Why electric vehicles? that are going to take massive amounts of hydro, coal and nuclear power to propel.

If I were in a high office in DC, I would be pushing for more natural gas transition.
Look at home heating.
My sister lives up north and they use basically diesel oil to heat their home. It cost here $500 for one month of fuel to heat her home. I on the otherhand have natural gas piped in. My highest gas bill ever was $50. and in the summers it is less than $10 a month, for hotwater heater and cooking.
Most of the people screaming 'green' are watermelons, green on the outside and red on the inside. It's just another issue that they are trying to use to turn everything into Cuba. If they got their way, 'green' would go out the window in about two seconds.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:39 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Just a couple of days ago there was a report saying that natural gas is not as green as it seems, actually at least as little green as coal. Maybe I'll find something on the web...

Found something, Natural gas from fracking could be 'dirtier' than coal, Cornell professors find | Cornell Chronicle

The by-product of burnt natural gas... H2o

Old 06-29-2015, 06:57 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Would this be the same natural gas produced by "fracking"? The very process some of our anti-business, anti-science LWNJs want to shut down?

Old 06-29-2015, 06:58 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentbow View Post
the by-product of burnt natural gas... H2o
+co2.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:21 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times
Just use the sun. We have it for another 5 billion years.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:30 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,143,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Would this be the same natural gas produced by "fracking"? The very process some of our anti-business, anti-science LWNJs want to shut down?
LOL.. I have to laugh because the worst tongue lashing my husband got on the job was in the Northeast. Guy stopped in the middle of the road, got out of his CAR, and started screaming about how bad the pipeline we were laying was for the environment, his state... how it was going to raise his taxes... on and on ad nauseam. The ironic part.... the line was a natural gas line going into an old coal-fired electric plant to convert it from coal. The people who are always harping about going to electric don't realize that over 50% of all electric comes from either coal or natural gas. And the Lemmings usually don't even have a clue what they are talking about. It's one thing to care about the environment, as we should... it's another to be a bat-crap crazy tree-hugger......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies