Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2011, 04:12 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,583,124 times

Advertisements

First, there are some. Personally, I don't care if there are more or not; I'm fine with them but don't have a real need to look for them either. I think the posts about the US being prudish have some merit in why we started without them, but you can see simulated sex among people wearing very little in clubs across the US or on tv that are more risque than a woman sunbathing topless. It may be more that not enough people have cared or cared enough to push for it through local laws which would be the way it would be done.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 04:14 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,650,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
The irony is that the people that always want to be naked the most are the ones that have no business being naked.
Isn't that the truth!!

Old 04-25-2011, 04:15 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
there are actually a lot on nude/topless beaches...but most are exclusive, because the average american cant stop acting like an animal

Old 04-25-2011, 04:51 PM

943 posts, read 782,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
lmao! Strip clubs would still have business.

European's are in better shape than American's so that means their is more attractive women in Europe. So they would more likely to go topless. Whereas here in the states attractive women are few and far so they would not go topless. That makes topless beaches unfun because the ugly ones would be going topless instead of the hotties.
What the hell does attractiveness have to do with toplessness at beaches??

Maybe american women don't go topless(or lobby for it) because they know it isn't about giving a women a choice, but it is in order to entertain male viewers. Many women would prefer to not have their naked breast leered at.

It seems that people aren't really concerned about female choice to go topless, but are mad they don't have the opportunity to see women's bare breast.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:55 PM

67 posts, read 157,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I've been to a strip club--there was no nudity.

Didn't go any further than a bathing suit...
Really what a con i would of taken my dollar back out of her thong if she dident take it off. Here in England they gyrate fully naked right in your face and even than i only give em a pound.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:00 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,995,906 times
Just a little more proof of the puritan beliefs of the American's. I got this from wiki:Research suggests that exotic dancing can pay well, but often at significant cost to the stripper.[124] One reason for this is the negative stigma associated with exotic dancing. Not all dancers are affected equally. Some dancers manage this stigma by dividing "the social world" and only revealing part of their identity.[125] By revealing only a part of themselves, strippers may avoid being characterized by the stigmatizing attributes associated with exotic dancing.[45] Within the context of the strip club, dancers might sometimes give the impression that they are revealing private (or backstage) information to customers in order to play a confidence game for increased profit.[73] Dancers use props such as make-up, clothing, costumes, and appealing fragrances to complete their character and maintain their "front" while in the club. Customers rarely, if ever, see the preparation of these props, since they are denied access to the backstage of a dancer's performance space by the layout of the club.[73] A customer often wants a dancer to "drop the act", which makes him feel special and desired.[4][124] This girlfriend experience can involve increased intimacy up to and including sex acts.[126][127][128] Dancers are commonly aware of this customer desire for increased confidence, and may allow the impression that a customer is seeing their true selves. In reality, it is often just part of the act with little to no emotional attachment for the dancer.["

If you don't see anything wrong with this, then I just don't know what to say.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:28 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,979 times
Quote:
The irony is that the people that always want to be naked the most are the ones that have no business being naked.
That's not ironic, because it is completely false.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
For some reason this is what you see alot of in the south, and I really would NOT want to see THAT
What you want to see has 0 to do with anything.

Almost impossible to get it through adolescent minds that toplessness has nothing to do with anyone other than the person being topless

Old 04-25-2011, 08:41 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
Quote:
lmao! Strip clubs would still have business.

European's are in better shape than American's so that means their is more attractive women in Europe. So they would more likely to go topless. Whereas here in the states attractive women are few and far so they would not go topless. That makes topless beaches unfun because the ugly ones would be going topless instead of the hotties.
Topless beaches are not supposed to be "fun" because men get to leer at women's breasts, and only the young, sexy, firm and high breasts are exposed. If a woman wants to sun her ta-tas, she isn't doing it to attract attention. The European culture of topless sunning or topless women in general is ok because European men are not obsessed with breasts like US men are. Janet Jackson slipped a nip for a second on public TV and the whole country was shaken to its core based on the media firestorm that ensued. European women going topless has NOT ONE THING to do with their being in better shape, and women are not more likely to "go topless" in public based on how attractive they believe themselves to be, and similarly, US women are not avert to going topless because the attractive ones are so "few and far". There are plenty of beaches here in the US where you can go and ogle a pair of cans, as it appears that is the "fun" you are after. And FWIW, most of the naturists in Europe are exactly the ones you wish would cover up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Do people know that the purpose of a topless beach isn't to gawk at women?
Based on some of the more crude comments posted in this thread, I would venture to guess that the US is not ready for European style breast-baring. If we can't handle a pair of nipples on public TV, then we're not ready for topless beaches all over.

Quote:
Finally - appears someone with experience has finally spoken regarding the subject. Having spent many of my summers in Europe since the age of 2, I have a hard time believing the that the guys over here dying to see some skin would be too excited about the "fun" of ogling average looking people with no clothes on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
there are actually a lot on nude/topless beaches...but most are exclusive, because the average american cant stop acting like an animal
Too true - I wonder how many of the guys who want to see the "twins" would be as interested if they themselves had to have to confidence to join the other sunbathers in their birthday suits at an exclusive naturist spot. That would even things out a bit, wouldn't it?

Quote:
Just a little more proof of the puritan beliefs of the American's. I got this from wiki:Research suggests that exotic dancing can pay well, but often at significant cost to the stripper.[124] One reason for this is the negative stigma associated with exotic dancing. Not all dancers are affected equally. Some dancers manage this stigma by dividing "the social world" and only revealing part of their identity.[125] By revealing only a part of themselves, strippers may avoid being characterized by the stigmatizing attributes associated with exotic dancing.[45] Within the context of the strip club, dancers might sometimes give the impression that they are revealing private (or backstage) information to customers in order to play a confidence game for increased profit.[73] Dancers use props such as make-up, clothing, costumes, and appealing fragrances to complete their character and maintain their "front" while in the club. Customers rarely, if ever, see the preparation of these props, since they are denied access to the backstage of a dancer's performance space by the layout of the club.[73] A customer often wants a dancer to "drop the act", which makes him feel special and desired.[4][124] This girlfriend experience can involve increased intimacy up to and including sex acts.[126][127][128] Dancers are commonly aware of this customer desire for increased confidence, and may allow the impression that a customer is seeing their true selves. In reality, it is often just part of the act with little to no emotional attachment for the dancer.["

If you don't see anything wrong with this, then I just don't know what to say.
So you think a woman who wants to sun her breasts equates to a stripper? Strip clubs are full of broken women. So? What does that have to do with proving how "puritanical" our society is? As long as American men think women who strip for a living has anything to do with topless sunbathing we as a nation are truly not ready for what our Euro brethren have long been accustomed to.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:11 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyBaaBaa View Post
Why are Americans so anal about letting the twins get some sun in public?
A serious injustice.
Austin Texas!

You can go topless and not get in trouble. Just lots of looks.

Barton Springs. The home of the hillside knockers.

In the 70's we would go to Barton Springs to find the topless chics

Old 04-25-2011, 09:39 PM

415 posts, read 449,601 times
I don't personally care for nude beaches, but we just need to stop being so prude about it. Just have designated nude beaches. Don't go if you don't want to. Go to the part that isn't a nude beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies