Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 12:54 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,723,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Besides the obvious immorality of denying SSA and Medicare benefits to people who have been paying into the system their entire lives. That's why it's called an entitlement. They paid to be entitled.

It would be like paying a life insurance policy for 40 years only to be told that they're only going to pay you half.
Having contributed for nearly 40 years, I am hearing you loud and clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 01:01 PM

Default ***warning***liberal reference***warning***

Quote:
I think there's a false equivalence. I precluded that with argument and used the Bill Maher quote as a comedic addition. MaM just said 'he's an idiot,'' basically dismissing without offering anything else. I think there's a difference.

BTW, I wish I was as obscure as Bill Maher, who has his own HBO show and earns millions a year.
Bill Maher was quoted saying, "I like the minority who are entertained by me. People who are not easily offended. We have a small and nice Canadian / European vibe here. Surrounded by rednecks."

Whether you agree with him or not, it's an amusing premise. Anyway, the two major parties only have themselves to blame for such sentiments. After all, using Joe Plumber as the poster character for the salt-of-the-earth ideals the Republican party supposedly represents, opens one to such views. Ditto the "other side" using Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, George Clooney for any official political message. A severe stretch at best!

And why do we always associate wealth with greed like that?

Old 04-26-2011, 01:03 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
If I was President Obama, I wouldn't say one single word about a platform for the coming election campaign until I knew who my opponent was going to be. And with the current crop of clowns being considered by the Republicans, he may not even need a platform to get re-elected. Every one of them is more than capable of taking themselves out of the race!

Old 04-26-2011, 01:03 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Oh, I see, he is one of those greedy ***s he was taking about in the quote you posted above.
Except that he, like Warren Buffett, thinks that he should be paying more taxes.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Except that he, like Warren Buffett, thinks that he should be paying more taxes.
Yeah. But haven't you heard? He hates America!

Actually, he says he loves this place. He acknowledges that he would not be able to do what he does as a living, or at all, in other places. That is to be able to get up and speak his mind without fearing for his life. I agree with him in that respect. That is the essence of what sets us Americans apart from much of the world. And we lose a bit of that when we have tantrums and call for censorship when we don't agree with certain messages.

I am not 100% in line with what he says but I hear things from him that strike chords and provoke discussion. Furthermore, there is no public figure that I agree with completely, libertarian, conservative republican, moderate or liberal. But I can get something useful from most all of them.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Didn't you just use an obscure comedian Bill Maher to prove your point. Now who is an idiot?
How exactly does this make him an idiot as if I have to ask?

Old 04-26-2011, 01:26 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
Yeah. But haven't you heard? He hates America!

Actually, he says he loves this place. He acknowledges that he would not be able to do what he does as a living, or at all, in other places. That is to be able to get up and speak his mind without fearing for his life. I agree. That is the essence of what sets us Americans apart from much of the world. And we lose a bit of that when we have tantrums and call for censorship when we don't agree with certain messages.

I am not 100% in line with what he says but I hear things from him that strike chords and provoke discussion. Furthermore, there is no public figure that I agree with completely, libertarian, conservative republican, moderate or liberal. But I can get something useful from most all of them.
Can't disagree there.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:30 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,813,813 times
Quote:
If he thinks he should be paying more there's nothing stopping him from doing that.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:33 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,813,813 times
Quote:
How exactly does this make him an idiot as if I have to ask?
You don't 'cause I didn't call anyone an idiot.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:33 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times
Quote:
That's what the GOP chair said too.

Seriously, if the population is ageing at the rate we are told, then a majority of American's would be immediately affected by losing SS. Not sure about the direct effect(s) on the economy, but pretty sure that would f**k up a lot of people.
I 100% agree. So why don't you say it would mess up a lot of people, rather than the entire economy. I can assure you that no social security would make my life much better because I'd have 7.65% more income to spend. You always talk about the elderly, this and the elderly that, but how about me, a 24 year old, who is paying 7.65% into a ponzi scheme?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies