Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Gender Neutral Bathrooms in Public Places
Are a great idea and should be required nationwide 7 10.00%
Are a crazy idea and should not be required nationwide 42 60.00%
Accommodations should be made for people who identify with another gender 8 11.43%
Accommodations should never be made for people who identify with a different gender 15 21.43%
Should be created by raising taxes 5 7.14%
Should be created by private funds 18 25.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 01:57 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,803,654 times

Advertisements

As a male, I voted "crazy idea."
I don't wanna stand in longer lines.

At Jazz Fest, I always look for the
Port-A-Let line with the fewest females.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 01:58 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

It's amazing how conservatives can think up and anticipate what depraved "future perverts" may do in just about any situation!

WILD imaginations!
its amazing how liberals dont see reality

do you want your 12 yr old daughter being followed into a 'unisex' bathroom by a dirty old man???....well do ya.....????

Old 04-27-2011, 01:59 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Do you or "Florida conservatives" know what "transgender" means?

It is not transvestisim (guy in a dress).

The intention of the law is to allow transpeople LIVING THEIR LIVES as their inner gender to use the bathrooms. Many will get gender re-assignment surgery, and eventually, legally change their sex. However, it is very expensive, and I think most psychologists do not clear a transgendered person for surgery unless they live "X" amount of time, full time, as the "other gender." Sometimes half of the surgery is complted (the easy stuff like breast implants or removal) while the genitalia is still there.

Why does that make you uncomfortable? Identify your source of fear and insecurity for us.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:00 PM

415 posts, read 449,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Really, I think the need for a separate "private" bathroom is already filled by the "family bathrooms" where only one person/family group can access it at a time. Therefore, not needed.

Additionally, I'll say that where there is no such facility, people should use that which their plumbing matches. No one else should have to feel personally creeped out or have their children exposed and forced to explain why someone who is physically a man is using the woman's restroom; or, visa versa, for the sake of political correctness.
So you're gonna let your kids die stupid?? I just explain it. No big deal.

BTW. Nice idea. Dosen't bother me.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:03 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

do you want your 12 yr old daughter being followed into a 'unisex' bathroom by a dirty old man???....well do ya.....????
Do you even bother to read ANYTHING?

#1, if there is a TRUE push for gender neutral bathrooms (which I contend is not anything really worth discussing because no such movement really exists except maybe really liberal colleges... AND THE CONCEPT OF WHICH I DO NOT SUPPORT, and clearly said as much), they are IN ADDITION TO sex segregated bathrooms, not "in replacement of" sex-segregated bathrooms.

I would send my daughter to the WOMEN'S restroom. And if there happened to be a transwoman in there, I wouldn't care one bit!!!

Old 04-27-2011, 02:16 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
It's all so confusing to me, men wanting to be women and women wanting to be men and so forth. I think my blood sugar is high and maybe I don't understand. Men dressed as women should not be able to use the womens restroom. Men should use men's restrooms, women should use the womens and all the others should use what they really are not what they think they are or use a unisex restroom. Ok thats my opinion, thats what i ment in my first post although maybe it didn't come out that way.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:35 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
Well, I seem to be on the other side of thsi issue than my usual allies on this forum. I'm a conservative and I don't think there would have been a problem if that transgender 'woman' at the McDonalds wanted to use the women's room. She (he)'s obviously not looking to do anything other than use the restroom and I can't imagine anyone wanting to dress as a woman just to use the women's room (where they aren't going to see anything anyway since there are individual stalls). Now I WOULD feel a little creeped out if a butch woman, living life as a man, walked in to the men's room while I was doing my business but if it became standard practice I would just avoid using the urinals and that would solve the issue for me since each stall has a lock.
Maybe we need to make the stalls more like in Japan, where they are tall and go down to about one inch above the floor (they need to because traditional Japanese toilets are the squat type, not the sit type). They also have a tighter seal so you can't see in between the door and the wall. I believe common sense changes like these could allow us to do away with seperate male/female restrooms. I don't have children but I've aften wondered how parents are supposed to do when their small children of the opposite sex need to go to the restroom. Do you take them in the restroom corresponding to their gender or yours? Unisex (I hate that word though) restrooms would take some getting used to but I think they would solve a lot of problems. I also am a little bit resentful that women's rooms are always twice as big as men's rooms. Where's the fairness there?

Another note. I've been in clubs where women often use the men's room if the line is too long in the women's room. Nobody seems to mind very much (although most peopel are wasted drunk by that point anyway).

Old 04-27-2011, 04:01 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
I also am a little bit resentful that women's rooms are always twice as big as men's rooms. Where's the fairness there?
Don't be resentful, it's done for a very practical reason. As already noted, most women, need much more time than men to accomplish even the most basic of bathroom tasks: checking make-up. Personally though I have been with some women that could take care of that other basic task: #1, as fast or faster than many men. And some that were slow even by female standards. What that boils down to is that even a 2:1 distribution of stalls isn't enough to keep up with demand and 3:1 would be more like it, hence the occasional co-opting of mens resources from time to time. So, which would you prefer: the present 2:1, unfair, but mostly you remain unmolested or fair (1:1) and besieged by constant hordes of very desperate women driven beyond modesty or shame by naked suffering. Your call.

H

Old 04-27-2011, 04:03 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
My college had gender neutral bathrooms. They weren't an issue.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:03 PM

415 posts, read 449,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

You conservatives always think about sex, don't you Get your head out of the gutter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies