Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 12:47 PM

132 posts, read 159,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
And yet..............

source

so what ?

that makes it OK for middle class families to pay almost the same rate of tax as the super rich. When they can barely make ends meet ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 12:48 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Leftists rarely are interested in what conservatives actually say,they have already made up their own fantasies...
Isn't yours an exact example of what you wrote, but for conservatives? I listen to conservatives when they actually say something. Your post fails that test. Leftists are not the problem. Give up that fantasy and maybe we can tackle real issues.

A relative of mine is a very right-leaning conservative. As I read some of these posts, I was reminded of a conversation I had with them. We are at different ends of the political spectrum on many issues, but when we defined what we wanted, we practically agreed on every issue. The only major difference between the right and the left is the method used.

I would bet there are no people who disagree with these:

US should be at peace with the world
US should get its financial house in order
US should let its citizens be themselves

It's the method to achieve these goals that is causing problems. If only we could approach the table, shake hands, and get down to the business of compromise and employ some American ingenuity, we could move forward at lightning speed.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:52 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Isn't yours an exact example of what you wrote, but for conservatives? I listen to conservatives when they actually say something. Your post fails that test. Leftists are not the problem. Give up that fantasy and maybe we can tackle real issues.
Context...it was in response to none of the leftist being interested in the conservative responses to the OP....or the OP being interested for that matter.

My opinion on the reasons for that are leftists don't want to acknowledge conservative beliefs as posted.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:08 PM

425 posts, read 653,547 times
As with anything in life, there are always exceptions.

Quote:
I would bet there are no people who disagree with these:

US should be at peace with the world
Except with those who make war against the USA. They should continue to feel the fire & fury of American foreign policy.

Quote:
US should get its financial house in order
Agreed. And that house shouldn't be a flophouse for freeloaders either.

Quote:
US should let its citizens be themselves
Unless their "selves" tend to impose on the property or wellbeing of others.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:13 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBIF View Post
so what ?

that makes it OK for middle class families to pay almost the same rate of tax as the super rich. When they can barely make ends meet ?
and why not, the rich still pay almost all the taxes regardless of the rate percentage.

NIta

Old 04-28-2011, 01:14 PM

596 posts, read 890,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockUnderMyKilt View Post
What do I as a Real Conservative -- or what I call Classical Liberal -- want? Here's a start:

- Eliminate superfluous government programmes and focus on provision of Public Goods (that is, non-rival non-excludable services such as street lights, defense, public safety).

- Return to the original Enlightenment principles: eg. upholding Natural Law. Quit making concessions to crazy strychnine-drinking fundamentalists or Muzzie wifebeaters.

- Let businesses fail.

- Let individuals fail.

- Protect property rights.

- Quit preventing gays from getting married. Quit using public money to endorse their lifestyle.

- Quit trying to prevent me from defending myself, or else.
A man after my own heart!

Old 04-28-2011, 01:25 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBIF View Post
so what ?

So you believe it to be OK to punish those with more money by taking a greater percentage of what they worked hard to earn? "The harder you work, the more you earn, the lesser the amount of your money you get to keep." Not exactly something that would motivate anyone to work harder. The rich would pay more - 10% of 1,000,000 is more than 10% of 1,000.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:14 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockUnderMyKilt View Post
As with anything in life, there are always exceptions.

Except with those who make war against the USA. They should continue to feel the fire & fury of American foreign policy.
Your 'solution' IS the problem and should not be considered at all since unprovoked belligerence is a horrible policy. Your view here and in a later post shows a defensive posture that would never manifest peace. You are at war already. Similarly, your profile name leaves little else to be imagined or pursued.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:21 PM

425 posts, read 653,547 times
Quote:
Your 'solution' IS the problem and should not be considered at all since unprovoked belligerence is a horrible policy. Your view here and in a later post shows a defensive posture that would never manifest peace. You are at war already. Similarly, your profile name leaves little else to be imagined or pursued.
That's where our realities depart. To me, self-defense is the ultimate human right. To you it's "unprovoked belligerence".

I'll quote myself because it's easy. I said the US should be at peace with the world "Except with those who make war against the USA."

And you fault me for a defensive posture. Would you prefer I take an offensive one?

Old 04-28-2011, 02:33 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,284,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
It's simple!

They want America like it was in about 1820. Not much spending on social programs, no income tax, no Social Security, no Medicare, corporations with the freedom to do with whatever they please, not much spending on education, and no rights or political, economic or social power for non-White Americans.
That is radical and untrue IMO.
We want a balanced budget amendment.
We want social programs to cover the massively disabled and limited help for others since there has never been enough money to fund everyone's life.

There should be tax, limited government spending, small SS checks though that should never be expected to be your retirement. Medicare should cover basic care and if people want catastrophic care they should have to buy it.

Corporations are just businesses, and if you free them up from Obamacare, over-taxation, restrictions and so forth they do something called hiring people to work.
We can cut spending on education in half IMO. We had classes of 60 and I learned perfectly well. But I came to school ready to be a student. Parents are the issue and they need to be held accountable.

Non-whites are like everyone else, no better or worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies