Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 03:11 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,324,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
So if I want interracial marriage to be illegal in my state, because blacks and whites mixing is an abomination to God, that's cool with you? No hate involved right?
Well, homosexuality is a sin and an abomination.
"The Bible consistently tells us that homosexual activity is a sin (Genesis 19:1-13; Leviticus 18:22; 20:13; Romans 1:26-27; 1 Corinthians 6:9). Romans 1:26-27 teaches specifically that homosexuality is a result of denying and disobeying God. When people continue in sin and unbelief, God “gives them over” to even more wicked and depraved sin in order to show them the futility and hopelessness of life apart from God. 1 Corinthians 6:9 proclaims that homosexual “offenders” will not inherit the kingdom of God."

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-08-2012 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: copyright

Old 04-30-2011, 03:40 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,965,085 times
[quote=90sman;18959017]Well, homosexuality is a sin and an abomination.
"The Bible consistently tells us that homosexual activity is a sin (Genesis 19:1-13; Leviticus 18:22; 20:13; Romans 1:26-27; 1 Corinthians 6:9). Romans 1:26-27 teaches specifically that homosexuality is a result of denying and disobeying God. When people continue in sin and unbelief, God “gives them over” to even more wicked and depraved sin in order to show them the futility and hopelessness of life apart from God. 1 Corinthians 6:9 proclaims that homosexual “offenders” will not inherit the kingdom of God."

The Bible is 100% manmade baloney, just like any other religion. I'm not even going to debate scripture from a 2,000-year old book.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-08-2012 at 11:02 AM..

Old 04-30-2011, 03:41 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
No, it isn't. Otherwise interracial marriage would still be illegal in Virginia.

The government obviously has a compelling interest to restrict the ages of driving and drinking - most likely health reasons. That and I'm not sure age falls under the 14th Amendment protections, so it's not a constitutional issue.

The right to marry a person of one's choosing is enshrined in federal law and implicit in the Constitution. State's cannot violate the constitution on marriage laws. You can argue all you want that the government is overstepping its bounds, but since they've already established marriage under federal law, until the Supreme Court agrees with you and reverses all their decisions on marriage, including making interracial marriage illegal again, state's have no decision in the matter.
for safety reasons? Some parents disagree, they think they should have the say so when thier kids can drink, when they can drive, etc. As for marriage laws: last I heard marriage was between one man and one woman, cut and dry...if this is to be changed to read; one guy and another guy or whatever let this be done by the states. I will add, our gay daughter would disagree with you: she is in favor of equal rights, of course believes gay couples should have legal rights and be able to share in all decisions, but she says, marriage is between one man and one woman.

Nita

Old 04-30-2011, 03:46 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,677,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
This is a states issue cut and dry. How do you explain state having different laws on the legal age to marry for instance or the speed limits? What right does the federal government have to set legal age for drinking or driving? Sorry, you can believe what you want, I am a supporter of gay rights but I still say there are many things, including gay marriage that is up to the states. We are not talking legal unions or rights to medical information, etc, we are talking marriage...There is a big difference.

Nita
This is the issue

"no state shall deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws"

That is from the 14th amendment. It's not up to the states. The decision was made when the 14th amendment was passed.

Old 04-30-2011, 03:51 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,969,846 times
True. 14th amendment (equal protection clause) is inalienable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
This is the issue

"no state shall deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws"

That is from the 14th amendment. It's not up to the states. The decision was made when the 14th amendment was passed.

Old 04-30-2011, 03:51 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,265,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Congratulations on the following states for already legalizing gay marriage with little controversy, over the past decade:
  • Massachusetts
  • Connecticut
  • New Hampshire
  • Vermont
  • Iowa
  • District of Columbia
Which three states do you think will be next? I think it will go like this:

By the year 2020:
  • New Jersey
  • Illinois
  • Washington
  • Oregon
  • California
  • Nevada
  • Hawaii
By the year 2025:
  • Maine
  • Maryland
  • Wisconsin
  • Colorado
By the year 2030:
  • New York
  • New Mexico
By the year 2035:
  • Rhode Island
By the year 2040:
  • Wyoming
  • Minnesota
  • Pennsylvania
  • Indiana
  • West Virginia
  • Delaware
  • North Carolina
By the year 2045:
  • Alaska
  • Montana
  • Arizona
  • Missouri
  • Mississippi
  • Tennessee
Never:
  • Idaho
  • Utah
  • North Dakota
  • South Dakota
  • Nebraska
  • Kansas
  • Oklahoma
  • Texas
  • Arkansas
  • Louisiana
  • Michigan
  • Ohio
  • Kentucky
  • Alabama
  • Georgia
  • Florida
  • South Carolina
  • Virginia
I think RI has been underestimated, as has NY. New Mexico???!!!

Old 04-30-2011, 03:59 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,785,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Well, homosexuality is a sin and an abomination.

What does the Bible say about homosexuality? Is homosexuality a sin?

Answer: While the Bible does address homosexuality, it does not explicitly mention gay marriage/same-sex marriage. It is clear, however, that the Bible condemns homosexuality as an immoral and unnatural sin. Leviticus 18:22 identifies homosexual sex as an abomination, a detestable sin. Romans 1:26-27 declares homosexual desires and actions to be shameful, unnatural, lustful, and indecent. First Corinthians 6:9 states that homosexuals are unrighteous and will not inherit the kingdom of God. Since both homosexual desires and actions are condemned in the Bible, it is clear that homosexuals “marrying” is not God’s will, and would be, in fact, sinful.

Whenever the Bible mentions marriage, it is between a male and a female. The first mention of marriage, Genesis 2:24, describes it as a man leaving his parents and being united to his wife. In passages that contain instructions regarding marriage, such as 1 Corinthians 7:2-16 and Ephesians 5:23-33, the Bible clearly identifies marriage as being between a man and a woman. Biblically speaking, marriage is the lifetime union of a man and a woman, primarily for the purpose of building a family and providing a stable environment for that family.
Congratulations on proving you know nothing about the Bible!

I'm too tired to continue to educate you people on why those verses have nothing to do with homosexuality, especially in detail.

Here is a quick run down:

Leviticus is referring to temple prostitutes. The Hebrew meaning of those 2 verses is very different than English. They literally mean "A man shall not force another man to have sex, in beds of a woman (as he does a woman), it is taboo. Those verses are in the chapters of Leviticus devoted exclusively to pagan ritual practice among the Caananite fertility goddesses.

Romans 1: This is a reference to Plato, regarding unbridled passion among Roman society. The main forms of sexual behavior they engaged in were prostitution and pederasty. Their obsession with those hindered them from seeking true knowledge from God. It was also a warning against the Gentiles and Jews that they are all guilty (as proven by Romans 2), and attacking each for one another's sins was pointless.

Corinthians: Homosexual was not added to this verse until 1958 A.D. Arsenokoites was a made up word by Paul, and according to his contemporaries up until the 4th century when Latin overtook Greek and that word lost its meaning, it referred to pederasty and prostitution. Which was very prevelant in Corinth.

However, from the start of the Reformation until 1958 - that word was universally believed to refer to Masturbation.

I will leave you with some reading material that you will no doubt ignore.

http://www2.luthersem.edu/word&world...3_Hultgren.pdf

http://www.stjohnsmcc.org/new/BibleA...References.php

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/pwh/1979boswell.html

http://www.gaychristian101.com/Shrine-Prostitutes.html

Last edited by Fiyero; 04-30-2011 at 04:15 PM..

Old 04-30-2011, 04:19 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,785,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
last I heard marriage was between one man and one woman, cut and dry
Where is that definition in the Constitution? DOMA is unconstitutional.

Quote:
...if this is to be changed to read; one guy and another guy or whatever let this be done by the states. I will add, our gay daughter would disagree with you: she is in favor of equal rights, of course believes gay couples should have legal rights and be able to share in all decisions, but she says, marriage is between one man and one woman.

Nita
The whole one man one woman definition is retarded. It was neither the most common form of marriage throughout history, nor was the only type. Romans and Greeks had same-sex marriage for quite a while.

You seem to be under the impression marriage was developed by Christianity - it wasn't. Martin Luther even opposed it ever being associated and deemed it a "wordly thing".

England did not require a religious ceremony for marriage until 1753. Most of Europe only switched when John Calvin and the Catholic Church both required a religious component in addition to a state license in the 16th Century.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:33 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,539,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I won't even try to rationalize your silly post. Once you bring up the "H" word ("hate") you lose the discussion.
ROFL..........calling the kettle black aren't we.....you lost my respect long ago by your willingness to rationalize anything(despite being presented scientific facts) to push your agenda.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:42 PM

415 posts, read 450,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Congratulations on the following states for already legalizing gay marriage with little controversy, over the past decade:
  • Massachusetts
  • Connecticut
  • New Hampshire
  • Vermont
  • Iowa
  • District of Columbia
Which three states do you think will be next? I think it will go like this:

By the year 2020:
  • New Jersey
  • Illinois
  • Washington
  • Oregon
  • California
  • Nevada
  • Hawaii
By the year 2025:
  • Maine
  • Maryland
  • Wisconsin
  • Colorado
By the year 2030:
  • New York
  • New Mexico
By the year 2035:
  • Rhode Island
By the year 2040:
  • Wyoming
  • Minnesota
  • Pennsylvania
  • Indiana
  • West Virginia
  • Delaware
  • North Carolina
By the year 2045:
  • Alaska
  • Montana
  • Arizona
  • Missouri
  • Mississippi
  • Tennessee
Never:
  • Idaho
  • Utah
  • North Dakota
  • South Dakota
  • Nebraska
  • Kansas
  • Oklahoma
  • Texas
  • Arkansas
  • Louisiana
  • Michigan
  • Ohio
  • Kentucky
  • Alabama
  • Georgia
  • Florida
  • South Carolina
  • Virginia
huh? It's heading to the Supreme Court right now, and I'm sure they will rule in favor of gay marriage. Thus, there's no category "never".
2045? lol. Nah, it's coming soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies