Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 11:57 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Obama is a Muslim.
Obama is not a citizen.
OBL is not dead.
OBL has been dead for 8 years.
Global Warming is a hoax.

With scant or no evidence RWNJ conspiracy theorists boldly claim the truth in these theories. They will boldly and in lock-step latch on to a theory that has long been disproven if it seems to satisfy their political outlook.

Because they are unhinged, what is considered fact in the rest of the world must be debated here. Even when faced with unabashed truth that counters their claims, they simply move the goalposts.

Then they (ironically) call us patsies for having some faith in the truth-- and in the government, while they put their faith in loosely connected and sometimes maniacal fictions.

It is this group that has ruined political debate. You can't debate opinions and solutions when you have to spend your time proving what is already fact.
How about 9/11 was an inside job?

and Global Warming is a matter of scientific debate. scientists are on both sides of that.

I do agree that Bammer is a Mooslim and He wasnt born here are silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 11:58 AM

5,915 posts, read 4,813,813 times
Quote:
Obama is a Muslim.
Obama is not a citizen.
OBL is not dead.
Except "Global Warming is a hoax" is not a conspiracy theory it's healthy skepticism.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:02 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
LOL - this is great. Many people are so filled with hate for the other side that they cannot possibly engage in any kind of discussion. Instead, this turns into a "you started it all!" You guys are unbelievable.

At any rate, the list misses one important "truth:"

Public Health Care = "Death Panels"
Ahem!

At least one of us has been rather even keeled about the whole thing. In fact, despite my usual disagreements with the President, you will find that I have debunked the Birthers from the start.

Do a search if you do not believe me. If not, then give credit where its due.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:05 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Well, since the Left started the conspiracy theories with 9/11, we just CAN'T stick to the "present", can we?

Oh....why do you find it strange and objectionable that people, not just here in the US, but all over the world, want to SEE PROOF of his death?

Should we just take obama's word for it?

Conspiracy theories started waaaayyyy before 9/11.

A few examples:

FDR knew about the impending Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor,
The military hid the UFO that crashed at Roswell
The moon landing was faked
JFK was killed by Lyndon Johnson

...get it?

Last edited by carterstamp; 05-03-2011 at 12:21 PM..

Old 05-03-2011, 12:12 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Default Great post

Quote:
Obama is a Muslim.
Obama is not a citizen.
OBL is not dead.

With scant or no evidence RWNJ conspiracy theorists boldly claim the truth in these theories. They will boldly and in lock-step latch on to a theory that has long been disproven if it seems to satisfy their political outlook.

Because they are unhinged, what is considered fact in the rest of the world must be debated here. Even when faced with unabashed truth that counters their claims, they simply move the goalposts.

Then they (ironically) call us patsies for having some faith in the truth-- and in the government, while they put their faith in loosely connected and sometimes maniacal fictions.

It is this group that has ruined political debate. You can't debate opinions and solutions when you have to spend your time proving what is already fact.
I absolutely agree. I find such arguments and theories not worth my time and ignore them as a matter of course. Anyone who comes to me with such theories is immediately dismissed as a babbling, bungling, blabbering idiot.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:19 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Well, since the Left started the conspiracy theories with 9/11, we just CAN'T stick to the "present", can we?

Oh....why do you find it strange and objectionable that people, not just here in the US, but all over the world, want to SEE PROOF of his death?

Should we just take obama's word for it?
Conspiracy theories didn't start with 9/11. They've been around quite a bit longer, as you are well aware.

There will always be conspiracists amongst us. There will always be mysteries as well. Challenging the assumptions, asking questions, are important parts of how a democratic republic functions. I think it's important to clarify between conspiracists and pseudo-conspiracists. A conspiracy is a narrative. It says what we've been told, by the government, by the media, by whomever, is false, and it explains why it's false, what the motives were to begin the conspiracy, what the "truth" is, often who the major players were in the conspiracy. Pseudo-conspiracy doesn't offer an alternative narrative. It simpy refuses to believe in the narrative offered. And when proof of the accepted narrative is offered, it refuses to accept that proof.

I don't think conspiracists are ruining American political dialog. They've always been a part of the dialog, and should be. Americans should have the opportunity to make up their own minds. But pseudo-conspiracists don't offer anything constructive. Unable to put forth an alternative narrative, and only offering pseudo-expertise as argument, they seem to intend confusion rather than clarity, and because they don't offer an actual narrative, they are nearly impossible to challenge. They often seem to have an agenda, and their pseudo-conspiracy serves that agenda.

True conspiracists are convinced their narrative is true, and that is their agenda. I don't know that pseudo-conspiracists believe in anything, they often seem to say anything that will serve their agenda. The truth of that is the lack of consistency that pseudo-conspiracists demonstrate when making their arguments.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:26 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Do you not agree that the volume of these conspiracy theories has increased markedly since Obama took office? Or is that just my impression?

Old 05-03-2011, 01:49 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Do you not agree that the volume of these conspiracy theories has increased markedly since Obama took office? Or is that just my impression?
I think they are about the same level as when bush or blinton or bush1, or reagan were in

Old 05-03-2011, 02:00 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
I think that the increased use of the internet where anybody can posit a conspiracy helps to increase the volume and prevalence of conspiracy theories. And when they gain enough followers, they get more media attention.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:07 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,947 times
Quote:
Obama is a Muslim.
Obama is not a citizen.
OBL is not dead.

I've got this theory that either the FBI or the CIA are putting drugs into the water that makes the mind form conspiracy theories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies