Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2011, 04:48 PM

950 posts, read 1,515,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Where did i say anything about crime in the black community having anything to do with poverty? There are many factors involved with ANYONE being poor....black folks included.

Look, you want me to put down my own people for your entertainment, and i'll let you know right now that i'm not an Uncle Tom, i'm on that other end of the spectrum, so don't waste your time. That's not going anywhere. I'm not going to concur with anything that comes off as pejorative about my people. Find another black dude for that.

We're not breaking any new ground here. I know about the black crime rate better than you would in a million years.

You said that Compton resembles a third world country. I doubt that you've been to Compton. But regardless, if that resembles a third world country, is where you live worth MORE financially than where they live (cuz this is America...and EVERY damn thing is about money)? If not, what does that make your neck of the woods?

So again, what is the median home price where you live?
I live in Daly City, California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 05:13 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I bet if you did some research, you'd find that regions and cities and neighborhoods with higher social spending also have higher illiteracy rates.

Money isn't the answer.
I took urban sociology...I did do the research. Actually I wrote a paper comparing Livonia to Detroit.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Unemployment has nothing to do with whether you teach your child to read. NOTHING. In fact, if you are unemployed, you have all that much more time laying around the house that you could be teaching your child things.

I'm also sick to death of the poverty excuse. MANY extremely poor people, from new immigrants of a century ago to new immigrants today, to just your garden variety poor people who are not immigrants, are highly motivated to learn and succeed and to convey those values to their young children. My family was a personal example of this.

Your post "screams of ignorance" -- for 6 decades we have thrown money at social problems and it has done nothing useful. It is a failed social experiment. Accept it like a mature adult and move on toward another solution. Personal responsibility is EVERYTHING.
Chatty, please...please don't make yourself into a caricature of how people in America truly are ignorant of how society works. Ayn Rand is not right on this one. If you don't believe me that poverty is cyclical...look at the stats. Why is that Black people were paid less, unable to own houses, overall were poorer and still are poor? Is it because they didn't care? Really? No because poverty is cyclical and is more complex. Illiteracy is primarily a side effect of poverty.

Dismantling a tax base is the main problem. You dismantle economic stability and then expect people to lead normal lives. Of course that's not going to happen. Look at CA,lower class males are not going to college in the same numbers as in the past since it's no longer economically feasible (economic collapse led them out of the education).

What this post is saying is that you have no clue how poverty affects people on a large scale. You only know from your minuscule experience and assume that it affects BILLIONS of people in this world the same way.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:31 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,210,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
I'm poor. I read.

Somewhat.
Is that somewhat poor, or somewhat read?

Old 05-05-2011, 05:34 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
You will find more ebonics as a first language speakers in prison than you will in college.
True dat!!!

Old 05-05-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Those articles don't say that college graduates cannot read a stop sign or simple words because obviously most can. They cannot read simple prose, they cannot read and understand written procedures, much less write them.

Many college graduates cannot perform anything above simple math. They generally can add and subtract but how many college graduates today can perform calculus equations? Differentiate and undifferentiate? They know little about the laws of physics.

It's not just illiteracy in literature, they are illiterate in math and science as well. There are other reports that conclude a large number of college graduates today never read a book after graduation, no book of any kind.
Which is what you were claiming. Illiteracy is different than having poor reading comprehension. The latter you are literate, whereas the former you are unable to read at a higher level. So they are literate.

Many college students do not NEED calculus. Simply put, there comes a point in which a college student needs to focus on their given field. Why would a French major need to know calculus? Will that truly help them gain a deeper understanding of Camus or Sartre? Why would a Biopsychology major need to understand the deeper workings of law? That would take away time from learning your given field. Interesting you brought up physics. Several professors at my school were wondering why Biology majors were studying physics for med school. I did not understand why I needed to calculate the differential of time if I'm going the speed of light...when I wanted to be a doctor?

Yes there is a problem with reading comprehension, but no illiteracy problem in our nation's colleges.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Liberal policies foster the notion that if you fail, it is always someone else's fault (and always someone who is more successful than you are, so, for example, one would never blame those who actually DID contribute to your failure, like your father in prison or your mother on crack).
Not in the slightest. It says that there is a framework for the OVERALL success or failure of a group. You separate the individual factors from the overall factors. You then notice the same patterns that appear. If it looks like that all your neighbors have fathers in prison and mothers on crack...there most likely is a common thread. You find that common thread. Typically it occurs in poverty stricken areas. Crack is not an epidemic where I grew up. Not too many fathers in prisons where I was raised. You go down to the less affluent part of town, the story is reversed.

The individual stories are different. Why is YOUR father in jail (he stole xyz)? YOUR mother needs help. Thus you apply what you know universally to help others. Liberal policies take psychology, sociology, economics, and other disciplines to see what common factors exist between each personal story to create a narrative for the whole. Latter it applies those solutions to aid on an individual level.

This is in contrast for not looking what factors exist and simply blaming all poor people for being poor.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:44 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,425,270 times
Alway's been poor I can read.. I can hold the reading in my head but never the propper grammer and spelling..

Kind of funny, when I was in grade school.. I aced this stuff. I won spelling bees. In Jr high I won writing contests..

If you dont use it.. you lose it.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Those kids lack discipline. They come from a home where their whims have been catered to.

The kind of discipline required for American children to compete in the 21st century has to be started from the earliest of ages when the children are toddlers.

Self control has to be reinforced. I see children running amok in stores, back talking parents, basically running rampant all over their parents with permission.

That lack of discipline shows up today in kids (and adults) with an entitlement complex. Those same kids who had everything given to them and their parents treating them like little princes/princesses, as well as those kids who came from homes with little to NO supervision or discipline. The neglect is equally as detrimental to children as those who have been given everything. The children from broken homes have the worst time because they are usually raised by the street where survival instincts have to be used in order to navigate their environment. Because of a street culture upbringing those children have a value system that is egocentric.

The reason why changes in parenting styles came about is because in the 1960's children decided they weren't going to be like their parents so they raised "best friends" instead of children, as well as a change in cultural and social mores.

That's carried on for over 40 years and today we have a mess of undisciplined people, narcissistic-ego centered and neurotic people taking all kinds of drugs (prescription and illicit - and abusing prescription drugs).
You're using the same argument that every generation uses over and over and over again...the "back in my day..."

We know that parents were not "better" back in your day...or worse for that matter (except in standard of living).

Put it this way, in the idyllic 1950s in a picturesque suburb of San Diego overlooking the city and ocean...my dad and his friends did the same as I did in the 1990s/2000s with my friends in a picturesque suburb of Los Angeles.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:24 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Answer the question.

What is the median home price in your area?
The neighborhood that I grew up in in Philly has a median home value of about $125,000.

The violent crime rate is almost zero.

The have been two murders in the last 25 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies