Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2011, 12:56 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Your honor and members of the Jury, I offer you exibit A.
Have a point? Or just talking out your butt, again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Your honor and members of the Jury, I offer you exibit A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
Since even the the major architect of the Vietnam War came to admit it was a mistake I'll take this from you two to be nothing but the meaningless BS it is.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:04 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,324,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
NONE of the things you've mentioned are capital offenses. Do you really believe if you killed someone painting graffiti in the neighborhood you'd get a walk? And just how many times need you be told until it penetrates? In America, we convict people by trial BEFORE we punish them! What part of that are you seemingly incapable of understanding?
An officer can shoot an arsonist in the act because it's a direct threat to life. If a person or persons engage in the unlawful use of force for which there is a reaonable expectation that life may be put in danger that person should expect to be met with deadly force.

Look, maybe if the so-called 'Peace Movement' wasn't so damned destructive and bloodthirsty, maybe those kids wouldn't have been shot.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:07 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,829 times
Quote:
NONE of the things you've mentioned are capital offenses. Do you really believe if you killed someone painting graffiti in the neighborhood you'd get a walk? And just how many times need you be told until it penetrates? In America, we convict people by trial BEFORE we punish them! What part of that are you seemingly incapable of understanding?
Apparently you simply ignore the fact that looting/arson/assault of an officer and other lawless acts set the stage for the shootings on campus. Try as you may, you cannot circumvent the FACT that the National Guard was called out BECAUSE of the lawlessness that erupted from the rioters/protesters. The Guard didn't just "happen to be in the neighborhood" on bivouac.

As for you "capital offense" argument,...breaking and entering is not a capital offense unto itself, but many times there ends up being a death involved as an outcome. Such is life,...or death.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
I hope I'd have enough sense to not shoot indiscrimnately into a crowd, and if I did and killed someone I'd deserve to be punished.
Exactly! I think one thing we should have learned from this shooting was that loaded and pointed guns lead to bad things.

I was in college at the University of Pittsburgh when the shootings happened. Pittsburgh is fairly close to Kent, and one of the dead was from Pittsburgh, so we heard about it for weeks afterward.

When, 36 years later, my daughter told me that some frat guys at her college answered the door of their house to find a police officer with a gun pointed at them, I freaked. It was like Kent State redux. DD hung around with a frat guy, and I was so afraid she'd get shot in a situation like that. Turns out, the cops saw a beer bong in the window and assumed it was marijuana paraphernalia, so they rang the doorbell during a party. Can you imagine what would have happened if the gun had gone off, even accidentally? Fortunately, no one was shot and the officer was suspended.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
An officer can shoot an arsonist in the act because it's a direct threat to life. If a person or persons engage in the unlawful use of force for which there is a reaonable expectation that life may be put in danger that person should expect to be met with deadly force.

Look, maybe if the so-called 'Peace Movement' wasn't so damned destructive and bloodthirsty, maybe those kids wouldn't have been shot.
Really? What is it that justifies firing indiscriminately into a crowd?

And if the government hadn't been so damned stupid sticking its nose where it had no business being those kids wouldn'thave been shot either. I know which I think was the greater evil, unfortunately those in the government were never punished for their wrong-doing.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:12 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,829 times
Quote:
Since even the the major architect of the Vietnam War came to admit it was a mistake I'll take this from you two to be nothing but the meaningless BS it is.
Your comments drew a smile from me,....it so eloquently described your attitude toward the government and the National Guard in question. For all we know, you may have been in the thick of the protest and are now trying to justify your actions by blaming someone else.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:13 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
And I'm asking YOU, that if you were a cop or soldier what you would do given the circumstances?
I wouldn't have shot unarmed civilians.
What were armed soldiers doing on a campus?

Were you even born when this happened?

And this, perhaps the most damning:

Old 05-05-2011, 01:21 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post

Ummmm, the murders were two days later.
The ROTC building was going to be torn down and it was not being used.
And you were there? Is that what you're saying?

Try a little reading and maybe some understanding of the facts.

You're really saying that in the US it's okay to shoot into a crowd of students on a campus.
Really?

So, it must be okay for the Libyan government to shoot into crowds of protesters.
It's okay for any government at any time to take the violent road against people who protest the government's actions.

Would it be okay for the US government to shoot at teabagger protests?
Would that be an appropriate response?
There is no difference.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
As for you "capital offense" argument,...breaking and entering is not a capital offense unto itself, but many times there ends up being a death involved as an outcome. Such is life,...or death.
Your casual acceptance of unwarranted killing is a sad commentary on your (lack of) humanity. If you ever have the misfortune of having a loved killed for no good reason, I hope you enjoy the view in the mirror.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies