Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 07:24 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times

Advertisements

Sheesh..... reading this thread was like reading a textbook on peoples of the world from 1887.

Culture is a major (probably the primary) factor in determining whether athletic skills will be developed and honed in a child, and some cultures push more of their children towards certain sports. Quite frankly I see more black kids playing basketball at the local park than I do white or Latino guys. And when I played soccer, African Americans were noticbly absent for the most part (though Haitians were present), and Latinos were ubiquitous.

Physical size and shape are next factors in sports... some body types are more suited for certain sports, but because all races have adonises and lard @sses, race is not determinative except in small populations. For example, one of the Pacific Islands (can't remember which... maybe Samoa) is a major recruiting ground for the NFL, because their body shape is BIG. But that also creates a cultural atmosphere where the children on the Island are PUSHED to play football, and develop skills in football, due to the history of recruitment from the island.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:30 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Sheesh..... reading this thread was like reading a textbook on peoples of the world from 1887.

Culture is a major (probably the primary) factor in determining whether athletic skills will be developed and honed in a child, and some cultures push more of their children towards certain sports. Quite frankly I see more black kids playing basketball at the local park than I do white or Latino guys. And when I played soccer, African Americans were noticbly absent for the most part (though Haitians were present), and Latinos were ubiquitous.

Physical size and shape are next factors in sports... some body types are more suited for certain sports, but because all races have adonises and lard @sses, race is not determinative except in small populations. For example, one of the Pacific Islands (can't remember which... maybe Samoa) is a major recruiting ground for the NFL, because their body shape is BIG. But that also creates a cultural atmosphere where the children on the Island are PUSHED to play football, and develop skills in football, due to the history of recruitment from the island.
Yes, that would be Samoa, as well as neigboring Tonga. Looking at the proportional number of players from the Islands, if Samoa were the size of the US Mainland, the vast majority of NFL linemen would be Samoan.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:35 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,154,109 times
Okay, since it's obvious the Mods are going to allow this thread, I'll play along and sprinkle in a little dose of reality.

National Hockey League:

For several decades there have been a handfull or two of Black players in the league.

More Black hockey players are finally able to play at a level high enough, to make it into the league.

But realistically speaking, the history of Black players in the league isn't exactly one filled with big time talents.

There's never been a dominating skilled Black player in the NHL. Not even a second tier down from top star Black player.

Black players in the league have primarily been marginal NHL players to average players. Most Black players being role players who played more of a checking game, than a skill game. Or they played the Enforcer role.

The closest thing to a dominating Black hockey player was zgoaltender Grant Fuhr, who played for the Edmonton Oilers from 1981 to 199; when the Oilers roster was filled with hockey legends and stars such as Wayne Gretzky, Mark Messier, Paul Coffey.....and many more.

The Oilers won Five Stanley Cups in those ten years, with Fuhr as their primary goaltender.

After the Oilers traded Fuhr away, his career was nothing better than mediocre to average; at best.

Now you have a few new younger black players in the league. Evander Kane and Dustin Byfuglien being the best of them, right now. Neither are Stars or dominating players. But both have the potential to possibly become that.

Other wise, White guys dominate the league in terms of skill/talent, offensive points/goal production...etc. Always have.

National Baseball League:

You don't have to search too long or too deeply to find that White guys dominate the league in almost every area, along with Latinos/Hispanics. A very large majority of the top players in the league with the best statistics are White or latino/Hispanics.

Top Pitchers in the league, White guys. Who just threw his second career No-Hitter; Justin Verlander, a White guy.

National Football League:

Black athletes are without a doubt at the top of a lot of the positions, but there are plenty of White guys at the top of the league, in most positions. And of course, all the best quarterbacks are White guys.

NBA:

I have no idea what's going on in that league and I don't care. I haven't watched NBA basketball (with the exception of a few minutes here and there) for more than 20 years. The game itself is a pathetic facsimile of what the game should be.

The 70's era and the early 80's were great basketball. Now, it's a joke. Traveling and carrying of the ball all over the court. Hot dogging and Me-Me ball is all I see in the few minutes that I tune in.

Yes, Black athletes dominate NBA basketball.

But that hasn't made the game better. The game itself has been as joke for a long time.

In NFL Football, Black Athletes have been a positive presence in the game abd they have enhanced the game. Not so in the NBA.

In just about everry sport White Athletes are at the top of their respective leagues and they are dominate players. Star players.

As well, many Black Athletes are also at the top.

Last edited by NMyTree; 05-11-2011 at 08:22 AM..

Old 05-11-2011, 07:46 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
What I don't like in some sports other than hockey is all the posing and prancing around.

IMO, it is a team sport.

Not for individual peacocks.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:50 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
Okay, since it's obvious the Mods are going to allow this thread, I'll play along and sprinkle in a little dose of reality.

National Hockey League:

For several decades there have been a handfull or two of Black players in the league.

More Black hockey players are finally able to play at a level high enough, to mak it into the league.

But realistically speaking, the history of Black players in the league isn't exactly one filled with big time talents.

There's never been a dominating skilled Black player in the NHL. Not even a second tier down from top star Black player.

Black players in the league have primarily been marginal NHL players to average players. Most Black players being role players who played more of a checking game, than a skill game. Or they played the Enforcer role.

The closest thing to a dominating Black hockey player was Grant Fuhr, who played for the Edmonton Oilers from 1981 to 199; when the Oilers roster was filled with hockey legends and stars such as Wayne Gretzky, Mark Messier, Paul Coffey.....and many more.

The Oilers won Five Stanley Cups in those ten years, with Fuhr as their primary goaltender.

After the Oilers traded Fuhr away, his career was nothing better than mediocre to average; at best.
Like any other human being, Fuhr got old. It even happens to black people. He's a Hall of Famer. That means he was a dominating NHL player with 5 championships.
Quote:

National Baseball League:

You don't have to search too long or too deeply to find that White guys dominate the league in almost every area, along with Latinos/Hispanics. A very large majority of the top players in the league with the best statistics are White or latino/Hispanics.
There's no such thing as the National Baseball League. There is Major League Baseball, which has the American and National Leagues. And while African Americans are less than 10% of players, Latinos are almost half, and the majority of those players (Dominican, Cuban, Panamanian, Puerto Rican, Colombian, Venezuelan) are black.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:05 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,198,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post

National Hockey League:

More Black hockey players are finally able to play at a level high enough, to mak it into the league.

The closest thing to a dominating Black hockey player was Grant Fuhr, who played for the Edmonton Oilers from 1981 to 199; when the Oilers roster was filled with hockey legends and stars such as Wayne Gretzky, Mark Messier, Paul Coffey.....and many more.

Now you have a few new younger black players in the league. Evander Kane and Dustin Byfuglien being the best of them, right now. Neither are Stars or dominating players. But both have the potential to possibly become that.

Other wise, White guys dominate the league in terms of skill/talent, offensive points/goal production...etc. Always have.
Jarome Iginla - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jarome Arthur-Leigh Adekunle Tig Junior Elvis Iginla born July 1, 1977 is a Canadian professional ice hockey player for the Calgary Flames of the National Hockey League (NHL). A six-time NHL All-Star, he is the Flames' all-time leader in goals, points, and games played, and is second in assists to Al MacInnis. Named the Flames captain at the start of the 2003–04 season, Iginla has been called the first black captain in NHL history. He has represented Canada internationally on numerous occasions, helping Team Canada to its first Olympic gold medal in 50 years at the 2002 Winter Olympics and another gold medal at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver.

Grant Fuhr - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hall of Fame induction
Grant Fuhr was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame on November 2, 2003.[3]
Wayne Gretzky has said on many occasions that he believes Fuhr is the greatest goaltender in NHL history. This is mentioned in an interview with Wayne Gretzky conducted by John Davidson as part of the 2003 DVD "Ultimate Gretzky".[10]
Fuhr was also inducted Alberta Sports Hall of Fame in 2004.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:11 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Recently, while watching a sports championship game on television, I became quite disturbed when the (white) announcer began rambling, on and on about how the (black) players on the floor were "Alpha males", superior, etc., The dude just kept going on and on and I couldn't believe the announcer made such a comment.

Afterwards, I began to ponder how black Africans slaves were brought to the Western world as slaves due of their brut strength, endurance, immunity to diseases etc.

Today, the black male dominates in many sports, such as track and field, football, and basketball. In body building, black body builders have held Mr. Universe/Mr America titles for a number of consecutive years. In boxing, black males such as Jack Johnson, Joe Lewis, Muhammad Ali, Tyson, etc., have dominated the sport.

In Rome, Italy there is a Statue of David, which supposedly represents the perfect male physique. Similarly, is it possible God created the black male as personification of perfected male masculinity?
For the sake of full disclosure: Might you be a black male, or are you just attracted to them?

-The slaves were genetically engineered by their masters to create strong big slaves.
-Scandinavians are genetically the strongest people on the Earth.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:11 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westwaswon View Post
Jarome Iginla - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jarome Arthur-Leigh Adekunle Tig Junior Elvis Iginla born July 1, 1977 is a Canadian professional ice hockey player for the Calgary Flames of the National Hockey League (NHL). A six-time NHL All-Star, he is the Flames' all-time leader in goals, points, and games played, and is second in assists to Al MacInnis. Named the Flames captain at the start of the 2003–04 season, Iginla has been called the first black captain in NHL history. He has represented Canada internationally on numerous occasions, helping Team Canada to its first Olympic gold medal in 50 years at the 2002 Winter Olympics and another gold medal at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver.

Grant Fuhr - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hall of Fame induction
Grant Fuhr was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame on November 2, 2003.[3]
Wayne Gretzky has said on many occasions that he believes Fuhr is the greatest goaltender in NHL history. This is mentioned in an interview with Wayne Gretzky conducted by John Davidson as part of the 2003 DVD "Ultimate Gretzky".[10]
Fuhr was also inducted Alberta Sports Hall of Fame in 2004.
Great team players!!!

Old 05-11-2011, 08:13 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,960,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Hockey is huge here in Mass. How many black people do we have here? I didn't even bother to read the rest of your post after seeing that because I knew right away that it was more asinine drivel as always....

In other words, "hockey is big where I live and they don't have many black folk involved, so therefore I can dismiss the growing numbers of black players nationwide"

What were you saying about drivel???...

Old 05-11-2011, 08:13 AM

589 posts, read 756,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Recently, while watching a sports championship game on television, I became quite disturbed when the (white) announcer began rambling, on and on about how the (black) players on the floor were "Alpha males", superior, etc., The dude just kept going on and on and I couldn't believe the announcer made such a comment.

Afterwards, I began to ponder how black Africans slaves were brought to the Western world as slaves due of their brut strength, endurance, immunity to diseases etc.

Today, the black male dominates in many sports, such as track and field, football, and basketball. In body building, black body builders have held Mr. Universe/Mr America titles for a number of consecutive years. In boxing, black males such as Jack Johnson, Joe Lewis, Muhammad Ali, Tyson, etc., have dominated the sport.

In Rome, Italy there is a Statue of David, which supposedly represents the perfect male physique. Similarly, is it possible God created the black male as personification of perfected male masculinity?

Your post defines what a opinion is, is it even worth commenting ?

But ill bite.

As far as Masculine goes there are tons of ways to look at it.
David and Goliath for one, the story of a boy who killed a giant. There is no doubt that Goliath was seen as the epitome of manliness in his time...Even the Jews were in awe of him. Then a small Jewish boy challenges him to a fight and kills Goliath by slinging a rock into his skull. That would be like Mike Tyson in his prime, being knocked out by a lightweight 130 lb boxer.

Who wants to bet that David became a symbol of Masculinity after that, surpassing even Goliath ? Well he did. Note the statue of David.

Masculinity is all opinion, if anything it is a Social construct [and I hate that word since its often used wrong].

Black men may be built up via the media to be what Masculinity is, perhaps that is done to avoid claims of racism towards black males in sports. If the media claims that black men are the epitome of Masucline then that is a Social Construct and that view is being forced upon viewers of their tv shows.

Keep in mind that it wasn't to long ago that Cowboys [literal ones] were portrayed as the epitome of Masculine. That view was also promoted by the media in the past. So if the media chooses to promote Black males as Masculine instead of Cowboys then it will be seen that way by the majority of people in time. Lets be realistic here, everyone is effected by the media today. Whether you watch tv or not, just by going online or driving a car and viewing billboards on the highway...That is all media. If the billboards, the Internet ads, the Radio, the Internet video clips all show Black males as the most Masculine then people will believe it, true or not. It is a social construct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies