Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 04:05 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,436,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Look, the adults are running the house if the Dems want to score political points by trying to use this as a political issue they will suffer for it. The American people all know Social Security and Medicare as they are currently constituted are unsustainable.

John Cogan: The Millionaire Retirees Next Door - WSJ.com

"According to my calculations based on government data, such married couples will begin receiving monthly Social Security checks that will, on average, total about $550,000 after inflation. They will receive health-care services paid for by Medicare that, on average, will total another $450,000 after inflation. The benefactors will be a generation of younger workers who are trying to support themselves and their families while paying taxes to finance the rest of government spending."
Yes, you're right....the thing is, it's not ever going to get fixed....the bottom line is it's a ponzi scheme. All ponzi schemes come to an end some day and when they do, everybody loses. You can keep trying to delay the inevitable but, that's all you'll be doing...delaying it and the longer you do that, the worse it gets. The number of people times the amount they were paid that never contributed to the system when it started, is a fraction of what it would cost today if we stopped collecting it from current workers and had to continuing paying the people that paid into it in the past and were entitled to receive their benefits.

It was never a good idea....the New Deal only pushed the cost onto future generations....just like what we're trying to avoid doing now. If we pass it on, it will be worse for them. If we don't, I don't know how we'll manage to get by because, we'll be getting squeezed from both ends if we try and fix it. All the jobs and manufacturing that was still in this country and pulled us out of the great depression, isn't here any more. How many service jobs can you have. I've been through two careers now my...both were lucrative....both required training and education....and both are now obsolete. Now I have to get re-educated a third time so that I can work in another service industry? That's going to take awhile, if I can even manage it....the question is, will that one also become obsolete be fore I can retire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 04:26 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
Personally I think if people want to be seen as champions being true to their word, they should stick to it. Not like it is going to fool anyone after many campaigned on it...even assuming it will is very silly.

Quote:
Look, the adults are running the house if the Dems want to score political points by trying to use this as a political issue they will suffer for it. The American people all know Social Security and Medicare as they are currently constituted are unsustainable.

John Cogan: The Millionaire Retirees Next Door - WSJ.com

"According to my calculations based on government data, such married couples will begin receiving monthly Social Security checks that will, on average, total about $550,000 after inflation. They will receive health-care services paid for by Medicare that, on average, will total another $450,000 after inflation."
You do know why that analysis is basically wrong don't you?

$550,000 after inflation + $450,000 after inflation from the article
Compared to $500,000 in payroll taxes (in today's dollars) that doesn't state what is contained in the number

You can't compare a lump sum of money now to the total sum of inflated dollars directly. That's really basic time value of money calculations, and no one should be publishing an article that fails that very basic financial literacy.

Last edited by subsound; 05-13-2011 at 04:36 PM..

Old 05-13-2011, 04:57 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,281,707 times
They will end Medicare if they can let people have the same programs our politicians use. That is the plan going around.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:49 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
House Republicans voted for a GOP budget that:

Ends Medicare as we know it.

Forces seniors to pay over $6,000 more a year.

Requires a 54-year-old today to save an additional $182,000 in his or her retirement account, or $250 a week, just to pay the costs of the plan.

41 Republican freshmen, elected with the support of the Tea Party and begged President Obama to let their plans stay secret. You defended your vote just two weeks ago, but you didn’t like what you got back from your constituents. Now, it’s time to take responsibility for your actions.

Seniors wouldn’t be guaranteed health care under this plan. Instead, starting in 2022, seniors would be given a voucher for a fixed amount of money to partly pay for a private insurance plan. But there is no guarantee of coverage. And there is no guarantee the voucher would ensure a senior has the kind of coverage she has come to expect from Medicare. None.
According to the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office (CBO), this voucher would cover less than half of the cost of the benefits individuals receive in today’s Medicare.

CBO estimates that average out-of-pocket costs for seniors would double - from $6,000 to $12,000 – while the government’s share would actually drop. Moreover, seniors’ share of costs would increase even more over time because the voucher’s value would not rise as fast as health insurance premiums.

Another problem? The Republican budget repeals health care reform and its protections to ensure a senior can’t be denied coverage due to a pre-existing condition, the ban on co-pays for preventive services, and the closing of the dreaded “donut hole.”
The CBO is clear about what would happen under the Republican budget voucher plan: some seniors will forgo insurance all together, while others won’t get coverage because plans are too expensive or they don’t cover particular services. Ironically, these problems – access and cost – are the reasons that Medicare was started in the first place!

4-6,000.00 pays for one trip to the ER.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:57 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
I think ending Medicare is a great platform for the Repubs to run on.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
BS.

Congressional votes are matter of public record.

No one votes and then begs the President to keep their plans secret. The President is not a member of Congress and has no say in what or when Congress votes. None.
I don't think there ever was a vote on this voucher plan for Medicare. I'm not sure if they even voted on the budget resolution. But it would not be surprising for them to support the resolution w/o telling people they were in favor of this voucher nonsense.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:40 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I think ending Medicare is a great platform for the Repubs to run on.

Hey, I think the Dem platform is much better. It goes like this. Hey young people. we are going to transfer one million dollars of your money to each retiree. However we can't really promise you there will be anything for you when you retire. Sounds like a winner to me!

Old 05-13-2011, 07:49 PM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
Quote:
Hey, I think the Dem platform is much better. It goes like this. Hey young people. we are going to transfer one million dollars of your money to each retiree. However we can't really promise you there will be anything for you when you retire. Sounds like a winner to me!
Life's a Bitche isn't it? Now get back to work, I've got an hanking for a doctors appointment?

Last edited by jmking; 05-13-2011 at 08:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies