Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 12:02 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

A truly sad day in America...no more "chocolate milk" at school.
The "War on Obesity" taking HFCS food out..one carton at a time

They will have a fight though..over 70% of milk consumed in schools is of the flavored type.

Schools may ban chocolate milk over added sugar - USATODAY.com
"Los Angeles Unified, the nation's second-largest school district, is the latest district to tackle the issue. Superintendent John Deasy recently announced he would push this summer to remove chocolate and strawberry milk from school menus."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 01:26 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
A truly sad day in America...no more "chocolate milk" at school.
The "War on Obesity" taking HFCS food out..one carton at a time

They will have a fight though..over 70% of milk consumed in schools is of the flavored type.

Schools may ban chocolate milk over added sugar - USATODAY.com
"Los Angeles Unified, the nation's second-largest school district, is the latest district to tackle the issue. Superintendent John Deasy recently announced he would push this summer to remove chocolate and strawberry milk from school menus."
and as much as I have problems with government control, flavored milk should never have been placed in the schools in the first place.

Nita

Old 05-09-2011, 01:29 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Strawberry milk? Sick.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:40 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and as much as I have problems with government control, flavored milk should never have been placed in the schools in the first place.

Nita
I would argue milk in general. It should have been water all along.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:46 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
If we are going to give kids flavored chocolate milk, then where do we draw the line? Why not give them methamphetamine? The U.S. Army proved that meth improves reaction time, fact retention, focus, and it keeps you awake during dull, monotonous tasks, etc. It also quells the desire for sugary, fattening foods.

Furthermore, while sugary drinks like chocolate milk make kids fat and diseased, a person can actually thrive on meth if dosages are well-managed.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:01 PM

Well all you milk haters...even to this day I can only drink milk with chocolate in it so I mourn it.
I guess I'll end up on the public enemies list...I drink whole milk with chocolate syrup in it

Old 05-09-2011, 03:04 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,992,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

Nita
I have to agree. My schools never offered flavored milk for lunch, it was either milk, skim milk, or water if you were lactose-intolerant.

Obesity in teenagers was rare back then.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
I have to agree. My schools never offered flavored milk for lunch, it was either milk, skim milk, or water if you were lactose-intolerant.

Obesity in teenagers was rare back then.
And folks think a tiny carton of flavored skim milk is causing obesity ?
And that's only if you buy the school lunch..if you bring your own it can be whatever you want. At least that's the case today..until they start doing lunchbox inspections.

IMO I think the HFCS flavored wood-pulp-filled-what-passes-for-food in these fast food places pose more a danger.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:10 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Public schools is one place where I feel that diet should be controlled.

No one is saying your child can't carry their lunch to school, so if you'd prefer something else, buy a cooler. Otherwise you're on the public dime, and as such you have little say over what your child is feed. I suggest something healthy, like "salad Thursday"

Old 05-09-2011, 03:13 PM

7,812 posts, read 6,389,895 times
I have no problem with this but I'd have a problem if they prohibited kids from bringing it in with their own lunches. Just because your kid is a fatty, doesn't mean mine is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies