Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 11:49 AM

24,644 posts, read 38,761,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yes. Hate crime laws are just a tool that politicians use to make voters think they care.

We all know they do not deter crime, so the only justification is that some people want more revenge when you kill somebody for the wrong reason.
Is there ever a right reason?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 11:49 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,138,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
If crimes against minorities had been vigorously prosecuted in the past rather than those who are responsible for seeing those prosecutions take place look the other way.... there wouldn't had been a need for designating certain crimes as hate crimes which then permitted federal involvement.

Nobody to blame for this but those who didn't see that justice was served.

So you justify bad behavior, i.e discrimination by pointing to other bad behavior, i.e. previous discrimination. I thought that we all learned that two wrongs don't make a right?

Old 05-23-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
The crimes aren't identical. The intents - or motivations - were very different. Intent is a huge factor in determining sentence terms and even in distinguishing what crime has been committed (manslaughter vs. 2nd degree murder vs 1st degree murder, etc).

utter nonsense. Why does it matter if I killed you because you were left handed and I hate left handed people, or I killed you because I wanted your wallet? You have now marginalized the victim of one crime and have to tell his family that he isn't as worthy as the other person, simply due to some extemporaneous factor. You are discriminating.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:55 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,291,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
Hate crime laws are an Orwellian step in the direction of thought crime where a person is punished for what they are thinking in addition to what they are doing. This is a dangerous precedent.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
LOLwhut?? You mean, they didn't think in order to develop intent?

"I am going to kill this person" is a thought that indicates intent. So, yes, their thoughts (intent) matters.
Why? Why does it mater if I killed one person based on the color of their eyes, and then killed my sister because she pissed me off? If I killed them with the exact same weapon, in the same fashion, why are you discriminating against one victim over another?

Old 05-23-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Haha. If this is true, please explain to me why blacks are more likely to be prosecuted with hate-crime enhancements than whites.

The US is about 12% black, but roughly 20% of people prosecuted with hate crime enhancements are black.
The US is about 73% white, but roughly 62% of people prosecuted with hate crime enhancements are white.

FBI — Uniform Crime Reports

So.......minorities are being punished more severely than whites? And you are okay with this?

Old 05-23-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
It was like that long before there were a hate crime laws. Black life meant nothing in the justice system.

Blacks who killed whites (or who were convicted of such) = death penalty.

Blacks who killed blacks = life in prison.

Whites who killed blacks = often, nothing at all.

That said, it is important that we do have hate crime laws.

Huh? You just completely contradicted yourself in one single post, unless you agreeed with blacks being more severely punished. Otherwise, you appear to be unaware of your double standard.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:00 PM

45,370 posts, read 26,643,545 times
Hate crime threads always bring out the racist bullies.And by that I mean the ones that support such preferential legislation

Old 05-23-2011, 12:13 PM

24,644 posts, read 38,761,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Huh? You just completely contradicted yourself in one single post, unless you agreeed with blacks being more severely punished. Otherwise, you appear to be unaware of your double standard.

I was not speaking in favor of criminals of any color; I was pointing out that the double standard was in the administration of justice to those who killed blacks versus those who killed whites. What was my double standard again?

Old 05-23-2011, 12:16 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,970,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Been in the states 27 years, not sure how that's relevant unless you're implying that since I am an immigrant, I can't comprehend hate crime laws. That's what I noticed about most of you Neo Progs, you always seem to think that immigrants and minorities (which I am a member of both) are helpless and can't function in society like white people and we need government help. That's a very insulting and condescending view that you have of us.
No not "all of us", just of you and the guy from Australia with the same penchant for race based bashing disguised as legitimate debate!!

So for 27 years you have remained uninformed of the nuance of civil rights, the criminal justice system, and the history of this country??..

The "relevance" was made clear in my first post, go back and read it.

Seems you have become somewhat fluent in slurs, "neoprog"!!!..however that's no defense against ignorance!!!

Education is in fact government help, if you received a public education. Again why do you come to this country and all of a sudden the "race" issue becomes your choice of obsessions???...seems suspect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies