Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 12:33 PM

31,293 posts, read 20,791,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I dunno how Texas will react. This is one big decision.
I wish they would pass the vote and see what happens but on the other hand think of how this would effect people and airlines. It's a lose/lose for Texas no matter which way they vote IMHO.
I agree. It's also interesting that three of the largest airlines in the US (AA, Southwest, Continental) are headquartered in Texas. Not sure what that would mean, but it certainly could get disruptive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 12:33 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,641,897 times
Honestly what would the Feds do..shoot down a SouthWest flight from Austin to Orlando ?
Is Texas the next Libya with a "no fly zone" ?

Old 05-25-2011, 12:34 PM

6,794 posts, read 5,678,863 times
Quote:
Make sure the state is responsible for all the extra expense too.
Seems like there would be less expense since you have a flight without searches... DA

Old 05-25-2011, 12:35 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,351,071 times
Quote:
Honestly what would the Feds do..shoot down a SouthWest flight from Austin to Orlando ?
In a positive sense, Feds are a lot like flies.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:32 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,871,279 times
Quote:
The glove has been thrown down.
The TSA will cancel flights to/from Texas if HB1937 passes.
This is the no groping rule at Texas airports.
Actually, it is a no groping without probable cause rule. Now, only a matter of time when probable cause were defined as refusal to pass through the "Airplane!" scanner.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:31 PM

923 posts, read 1,433,004 times
Go Texas. It's about time somebody stood up to these searches and gropings.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:35 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,514,252 times
I'm sure Rick Perry will encourage all Texans to pray for an answer as he is known to do.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:37 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,319,309 times
Quote:
I dunno how Texas will react. This is one big decision.
I wish they would pass the vote and see what happens but on the other hand think of how this would effect people and airlines. It's a lose/lose for Texas no matter which way they vote IMHO.

The Texas bill only talks about grabbing "the private parts"..they can still do pat downs, just not invasive ones. I guess the TSA wants their Texas T&A bad enough they would threaten to shut Texas off from any airspace travel.
They will act however the airline corporations TELL THEM TO ACT.

BOTH AMERICAN AIRLINES AND SOUTHWEST AIRLINES HAVE CORPORATE HEADQUARTERS IN THE DALLAS AREA. That's where the Republicans in the state legistlature and Governor Perry will get their marching orders from.

When push comes to shove a Republican loves money more than they do getting into a pissing contest with the federal government.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:37 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,397,267 times
Quote:
Do you even understand what the bill is about ? It's not removing searches you know.

How's about you read the bill and then decide rather than just jump on the lib bandwagon and gloat.
I don't have to read the bill to know it's unconstitutional on it's face. Texas doesn't have authority to tell federal employees how to do their jobs.

There are already laws on the books covering unlawful touching. If you Texans think a TSA agent's "grope" is an assault, it's an assault under your existing state law, which WOULD apply in that case. All the "victim" has to do is raise a criminal complaint. I thought you guys were opposed to unnecessary laws.

I'm a retired cop. Over the course of a 30 year career I conducted thousands of "Terry" searches in my career (frisks and pat-downs). I never "groped" or "assaulted" anyone, nor did I generate a single complaint based on a pat-down.

I've been subjected to pat-downs by TSA agents. They have a difficult job to do. We entrust our safety to their thoroughness and professionalism. Why would the State of Texas want to make their jobs harder, or cause them to hesitate, and do a less-effective search? To preserve someone's modesty? Sorry, that ship sailed when GWB launched his GWOT, and that dude on a plane hid a bomb behind his *******.

If I was a resident of Texas, I would hope my government had better uses of my tax-payer dollars, than to churn out unneccessay legislation that any lawyer could have told them was never going to be enforced.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:38 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,319,309 times
Quote:
No but they can certainly fine the hell out of them or simply tell the FAA to refuse to give flight clearances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies