Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2011, 03:42 PM

315 posts, read 367,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Then why did you send your children to Religious Schools? Couldn't have been public, because religious teaching is definitely not allowed in the public schools. Its considered "brainwashing" or instilling values in children that might conflict with the parents belief system. Just as this Gender-Bending Class does. Why is this allowed?
Actually we talked about religion in school, both when I was little and when I was teaching. We talked about how different people believe different things, and around the holidays we learned about different holiday traditions across religions and countries. We also learned that even though people might believe different things, we should be respectful.

Kind of like how this program is teaching kids that different people identify with their gender differently, but that people are still people and we should still be respectful.

....but I also had a 6th grade teacher who spouted off religious nonsense all the time, and reporting him over and over did nothing. Ah well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 03:46 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,033,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
Well your opinion is completely out of kilter with medical science.
Medical science states that a male has an XY chromosome.
It states that a female has two X chromosomes.

A person with an XY chromosome is a male human being, regardless of how they alter their body with surgery/hormones. Same for a female having two X chromosomes.

I understand that there are individuals with a mental condition which makes them believe they were born the wrong sex. I cannot imagine how it must be to go through life in such a way, and I would not tolerate bullying of those people or any person, regardless of mental state or whatnot.

However, it is indeed an abnormal situation in my eyes and I would not encourage my children nor anyone else's children to accept it as "normal." My children would in no way be allowed to bully that individual, and I encourage respecting their feelings and situation. But the gov't cannot legislate that our family accepts it as "normal."

Old 05-26-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitMage View Post
....but I also had a 6th grade teacher who spouted off religious nonsense all the time, and reporting him over and over did nothing. Ah well.
Because your teacher was well within legal bounds to mention religion in the classroom. Not test you on their beliefs, not insist that you share those beliefs, but otherwise (contrary to what most people want to think) that was perfectly legal. Having been a teacher, I have an idea of what I'm talking about.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
It won't.

There's literally no harm in this program other than to counteract the hatred of the parents to what they falsely believe are "deviants" by clinging onto "traditional values" and cavemen agendas.
It is okay for you to state that a parent's traditional values are part of a "caveman agenda" but it's not okay to view anything as "deviant"?

Okay. Just checking.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:55 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,284,799 times
[quote=RabbitMage;19324807][quote=maja;19324749]
Quote:

Interestingly, the kids seem to grasp what they're being taught just fine.
They are young enough to be indoctrinated and spit back what they think is the expected answer.
It is the job of the school to make sure every student has a safe environment conducive to learning.
This is definitely not about safety.
And I'm sorry, teaching kids basic things like "people are different" and "respect everyone" isn't brainwashing, and you're not going to be able to convince me otherwise.
That is NOT what is being taught. Students can be taught to treat everyone with respect despite differences without hiring a "Gender Trainer" for $1,500 to come in and train our children. Babies are "trained" to use the potty without really knowing what is happening to them. Dogs can be "trained" to sit or speak or beg. I don't want my child "trained" to accept something they aren't old enough to understand or "trained" to accept someone else's values.

This is what is being taught by the trainer.

"Baum focused on specific animal species, like sea horses, where the males can have or take care of the children. He suggested that even if someone was born with male “private parts” but identified more with being a girl, that was something to be “accepted” and “respected.”

“Gender identity is one’s own sense of themselves. Do they know themselves to be a girl? Do they know themselves to be a boy? Do they know themselves to be a combination?” Baum said. "Gender identity is a spectrum where people can be girls, feel like girls, they feel like boys, they feel like both, or they can feel like neither.”

Read more: Transgender Clownfish? Gender Diversity Lesson at California School Riles Critics - FoxNews.com

Old 05-26-2011, 03:59 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,126,670 times
I always wonder how those who think that gender idenity is learned or chosen explain the fact that almost all gay people were born and brought up by straight parents? Or how those who blame modern day society for people being gay explain the fact that there have been gay people since the beginning of history? Or why in the world when there is war, starvation, homelessness, murder, terrorism, etc.etc. going on in the world, people chose to obsess over who others love.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:59 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,291,948 times
Freud has been thoroughly discredited. His methodology was terrible and he conducted most of his "research" through the mail. He also apparently had some real intense mother issues.

There is a difference between "gender" and "sex." It is recognized by medical science. Learn about it.

Any of the real hatred/opposition/whateveryouwanttocallit of alternate gender identification is based on religion and does not belong in public schools. If you don't like it then there are a lot of religious schools just crying for increased enrollment.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
Because your teacher was well within legal bounds to mention religion in the classroom. Not test you on their beliefs, not insist that you share those beliefs, but otherwise (contrary to what most people want to think) that was perfectly legal. Having been a teacher, I have an idea of what I'm talking about.
If he just mentioned religion, that would be okay.

Lecturing a student for calling another a "fool" because according to the Bible (according to him) it is the worst insult you can utter, leading the class in a discussion promoting abstinence before marriage outside of the usual sex-ed classes (which we had to have permission slips for) or making us copy the Ten Commandments without covering any other religion are all pretty questionable, though.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:12 PM

[quote=maja;19325059][quote=RabbitMage;19324807]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post

That is NOT what is being taught. Students can be taught to treat everyone with respect despite differences without hiring a "Gender Trainer" for $1,500 to come in and train our children. Babies are "trained" to use the potty without really knowing what is happening to them. Dogs can be "trained" to sit or speak or beg. I don't want my child "trained" to accept something they aren't old enough to understand or "trained" to accept someone else's values.

This is what is being taught by the trainer.

"Baum focused on specific animal species, like sea horses, where the males can have or take care of the children. He suggested that even if someone was born with male “private parts” but identified more with being a girl, that was something to be “accepted” and “respected.”

“Gender identity is one’s own sense of themselves. Do they know themselves to be a girl? Do they know themselves to be a boy? Do they know themselves to be a combination?” Baum said. "Gender identity is a spectrum where people can be girls, feel like girls, they feel like boys, they feel like both, or they can feel like neither.”

Read more: Transgender Clownfish? Gender Diversity Lesson at California School Riles Critics - FoxNews.com
Well, it seems that it's now part of the school curriculum that these things are to be taught. Frankly, that's something I'm just fine with.

If you disagree, there are alternative options available to you that families have been using for decades if they disagree with something the schools are doing.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:12 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,284,799 times
Quote:
Actually we talked about religion in school, both when I was little and when I was teaching. We talked about how different people believe different things, and around the holidays we learned about different holiday traditions across religions and countries. We also learned that even though people might believe different things, we should be respectful.

Kind of like how this program is teaching kids that different people identify with their gender differently, but that people are still people and we should still be respectful.

But I bet your school didn't bring in a "Religious Trainer," who told you things like, "You may have been born Muslim; but in your heart you know you're really Christian."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies