Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2011, 08:11 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,461,752 times

Advertisements

There is more than 2 ways to reproduce in nature? I'd like to know what others there are besides asexual reproduction and heterosexual reproduction. I think those are the only two right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 08:16 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,141,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Wrong.. The School's job is to teach, "Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic", and it's the parent's job to teach good behavior to their kids.
Great in theory but a miserable failure in reality. Just look at the behavior of the adults on this thread. We need to teach good behavior to kids at every opportunity.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:21 AM

315 posts, read 366,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
And what do YOU think it means?
Just to be sure I wasn't the one who was confused, I looked it up.

Mirriam-Webster says
Quote:
often capitalized : a political philosophy, movement, or regime (as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition
And here's a Wikipedia article: Fascism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Fascism ( /ˈfæʃɪzəm/) is a radical, authoritarian nationalist political ideology. [1][2] Fascists advocate the creation of a totalitarian single-party state that seeks the mass mobilization of a nation through indoctrination, physical education, and family policy including eugenics.[3] Fascists seek to purge forces and ideas deemed to be the cause of decadence and degeneration and produce their nation's rebirth based on commitment to the national community based on organic unity where individuals are bound together by suprapersonal connections of ancestry, culture, and blood.[4] Fascists believe that a nation requires strong leadership, singular collective identity, and the will and ability to commit violence and wage war in order to keep the nation strong.[5] Fascist governments forbid and suppress opposition to the state.[6]

Fascism is anti-communist, anti-democratic, anti-individualist, anti-liberal, anti-parliamentary, anti-bourgeois, anti-proletarian and anti-conservative.[16] It entails a distinctive type of anti-capitalism and is typically, with a few exceptions, anticlerical[dubious – discuss].[17] Fascism rejects the concepts of egalitarianism, materialism, and rationalism in favour of action, discipline, hierarchy, spirit, and will.[18] In economics, fascists oppose liberalism (as a bourgeois movement) and Marxism (as a proletarian movement) for being exclusive economic class-based movements.[19] Fascists present their ideology as that of an economically trans-class movement that promotes resolving economic class conflict to secure national solidarity.[20] They support a regulated, multi-class, integrated national economic system.[21]
Further down, it seems that fascism is no fan of the gays, so I doubt they'd be all for teaching kids about gender identity.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:22 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,277,617 times
[quote=RabbitMage;19325292][quote=maja;19325059]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitMage View Post

Well, it seems that it's now part of the school curriculum that these things are to be taught. Frankly, that's something I'm just fine with.

If you disagree, there are alternative options available to you that families have been using for decades if they disagree with something the schools are doing.
This is Oakland, California! Do you know anything about the demographics of Oakland???

Once again, we see this type of "social experiment" being started in a impoverished school district where most of these poor folks don't even have the wherewithall to keep up with what is going on in their child's school let alone afford to pay for private school or stay home from work to homeschool. Perfect set up for this Guinea Pig Project that will soon spread across the country.

We'll see what happens when it hits the burbs.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:34 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,277,617 times
[quote=RabbitMage;19333190]Just to be sure I wasn't the one who was confused, I looked it up.

Mirriam-Webster says
often capitalized : a political philosophy, movement, or regime (as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition

And by this definition, the radical left/progressives fit the description perfectly.

Big Central Government Control
Dictatorial Leader (Obama's Czar's and Executive Orders)
Planned economy with massive government subsidies/regulations
Social Regimentation (How about this Social Experiment being forced on our
children; surpassing Parental Opposition)

I have to go help out at my kids' school now. But I recommend you read Jonah Goldberg's "Liberal Fascism" for more enlightenment. (Note I said, "recommend" and not "command.") Freedom. Its a good thing.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:34 AM

[quote=maja;19333192][quote=RabbitMage;19325292]
Quote:

This is Oakland, California! Do you know anything about the demographics of Oakland???

Once again, we see this type of "social experiment" being started in a impoverished school district where most of these poor folks don't even have the wherewithall to keep up with what is going on in their child's school let alone afford to pay for private school or stay home from work to homeschool. Perfect set up for this Guinea Pig Project that will soon spread across the country.

We'll see what happens when it hits the burbs.
As a lifelong Californian, yes, I do. Your characterization of Oakland as an "mpoverished school district where most of these poor folks don't even have the wherewithall to keep up with what is going on in their child's school" isn't true for every school and neighborhood in Oakland.

The school where this took place is a small school of around 300 students with 16 full time teachers. Here's some info about it on GreatSchools.com: Redwood Heights Elementary School - Oakland, California - CA - School overview

According to this site Redwood Heights is a very high ranking school: Redwood Heights Elementary - Oakland - California Schools Guide - Los Angeles Times

Now, I'm not saying that none of their students are living in poverty. I'm not saying that none of their parents are uninvolved. But the picture you are trying to paint of this school and its population doesn't seem to reflect the reality of the campus.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Big Central Government Control
Dictatorial Leader (Obama's Czar's and Executive Orders)
Planned economy with massive government subsidies/regulations
Social Regimentation (How about this Social Experiment being forced on our
children; surpassing Parental Opposition)
Alright, point by point...

1. Even if we're going to assume the current government is into "big central government control", the government we have was legitimately elected and can be voted out next year. That doesn't line up with fascism.

2. Not really any moreso than we've seen in the past and again, we have the ability to vote these people out.

3. In this case, how is it any different than teaching any other kind of diversity? Or imposing any kind of rule or order? Schools operate on "social regimentation", I suppose, and that fact alone doesn't make them fascist.

You're grasping at straws.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:50 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,541,572 times
Quote:
Just to be sure I wasn't the one who was confused, I looked it up.

Mirriam-Webster says

Further down, it seems that fascism is no fan of the gays, so I doubt they'd be all for teaching kids about gender identity.
There's different flavors of fascism. Most associate it with Hitler's Germany but that's not the only practice of it.

Implementing "social intervention" can take on whatever form the government wants it to. A US style fascism could certainly embrace gays.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There's different flavors of fascism. Most associate it with Hitler's Germany but that's not the only practice of it.

Implementing "social intervention" can take on whatever form the government wants it to. A US style fascism could certainly embrace gays.
So this is exactly like fascism but only in this one way and even then we have to alter the definition of fascism to make it fit the situation.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:10 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,541,572 times
Quote:
So this is exactly like fascism but only in this one way and even then we have to alter the definition of fascism to make it fit the situation.
No you don't. Read further in that wiki link. Germany, Italy, South America..all had different flavors. Fascism doesn't have a solid, rigid definition.

Going by history...Germany denounced religion while Italy eventually embraced it. Both were under fascist regimes.

From your wiki link:
"Movements identified by scholars as fascist hold a variety of views, and what qualifies as fascism is often a hotly contested subject."

Just because it didn't happen in the past under fascism doesn't mean it cannot happen in the future. Fascism and religion is one example from history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies