Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2011, 05:07 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,505,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Man!
I Left My Wallet In El Segundo. Can you please advise as to what years the Bronze Age occurred for the ME, and how it relates to the bible? Thanks.
"The Bronze Age primarily took place between 3500 BC and 1200 BC, and is traditionally divided into the Early Bronze Age (c.3500-2000 BC), Middle Bronze Age (c.2000-1600 BC), and Late Bronze Age (c.1600-1200 BC), with progressively more sophisticated metallurgy which culminates in the discovery of ironworking"

If bronze age doesn't suit your fancy, use "bible age". It works just the same or you can say 5000-10000 years ago whenever the bible was written because nobody really knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 05:11 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Do you think I have come to give peace on earth? No, I tell you, but rather division; for henceforth in one house there will be five divided, three against two and two against three; they will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. (Luke 12:51-53)
I used to go to church, as did my parents. I know many churchgoers and they don't go around "hating."

What you quoted above does not automatically mean it's "hate." It's interesting how so many who don't believe in the Bible know so many of its quotes!

Old 05-29-2011, 05:18 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,505,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I used to go to church, as did my parents. I know many churchgoers and they don't go around "hating."

What you quoted above does not automatically mean it's "hate." It's interesting how so many who don't believe in the Bible know so many of its quotes!
It's interesting that so many who believe in the bible will ignore it's actual words. It's more likely that they've never heard certain words because they trust the cherrypicked sermons of their pastors instead of actually reading the book.

I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. (1 Corinthians 6:15)

Old 05-29-2011, 05:30 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,872 times
Actually, families are divided today because of Christ AND He is a loving God. I know that's hard for people to understand. You're not the only one to say, "that's ridiculous," and believe it's impossible for there to be division about Christ and yet know He is loving God. For the verse you quoted below, as you can see, it's your life He wants,and a denial of everything you hold dear. It's a hard teaching that many can't or won't choose. Since God is the same as He has always been, here in 2011, He wants the same thing--you. Not just the part you choose to give Him. You have the right not to comply, of course.

If it didn't cause controversy and division, there wouldn't even be a need for this thread, for example. The OPs opening statement of why are churches overwhelmingly conservative when Jesus was a liberal is a perfect example. People wanted to inject Jesus into the political arena back then too.

For the verse you quoted below,
Quote:
Says you. I've heard many different interpretations about every verse in the bible. It's all just nonsense that served a purpose to keep bronze age people in order. In 2011, it's just silly babble. Why would a loving god inject himself into a family knowing that he'd divide it? That's ridiculous. Just like:

If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple. (Luke 14:26)

Old 05-29-2011, 06:54 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Exactly, religion retards progress.

If you call embracing loose morals, loose women, sexualy active young boys, pregnant young girls, HIV, STD's, depravity, sex, sex, and more sex in the mainstream progress, than you have bigger problems my freind

Old 05-29-2011, 06:59 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
It's interesting that so many who believe in the bible will ignore it's actual words. It's more likely that they've never heard certain words because they trust the cherrypicked sermons of their pastors instead of actually reading the book.
"It's more likely" means you are guessing. Because plenty of people have read the (entire) Bible.

Quote:
I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. (1 Corinthians 6:15)
Glad to know you are familiar with the Bible... keep reading!

Old 05-29-2011, 09:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
its not beck

the problem here isnt your view of 'progressiveness' its the politicians that your 'party' supports
Beck is the one who started making a mockery of the word "progressive". One of his biggest supporters on this board is constantly referring to him in reference to "progressives".

How do you know what party I support? I'm a Coloradan. We all have an independent streak.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:34 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,450 times
Quote:
It's hard to be progressive when you're bound by regressive bronze age nonsense.
This is why!!!

Old 05-30-2011, 03:15 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
I think a better question would be "Why are evangelicals overwhelmingly conservative?" I don't have an answer for that, but it annoys me, as many right wing opinions are, IMO, opposed to the teachings of Christ as I read them in the gospels.

Personally, I think Jesus was a-political. I also think the church--both the religious left and the religious right--would be better off if it followed Jesus' example and focused on the gospel and encouraging moral behavior instead of getting the goverment to do its work for them.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:59 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,980,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug S. 123 View Post
If you call embracing loose morals, loose women, sexualy active young boys, pregnant young girls, HIV, STD's, depravity, sex, sex, and more sex in the mainstream progress, than you have bigger problems my freind
El oh el. All of that happens in religious communities my friend. By progress I'm talking about acknowledging the reality that the sun is the center of the solar system, the reality of evolution, that the earth isn't flat, embracing stem cell research which holds almost unlimited potential. I'm talking about allowing two people who are in love with each to get married, even if they happen to be of the same gender. I'm talking about peace instead of war. I'm talking about putting reason and logic at the centerpiece of society, fully embracing science and progress.

You know, all of those things your bronze age fairy tales stand against.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies