Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 03:26 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
The kids are not white supremacists. But they are just taking a very bad joke to far.

BTW, whenever you see The Blaze used as a reference, check and double check the story.

Tensions calm at Soquel High following protest about white supremacy and suspensions - Santa Cruz Sentinel

Soquel High students suspended for wearing white after racist incidents on campus - Santa Cruz Sentinel

I believe that "after racial incidents on campus is the key here, and not simply that the kids innocently wore white tees.
[quote]
"If I stand by while someone else does something hateful, I share in the blame. We are trying to teach kids responsibility and what it means to be part of a community. That is part of what high school is about," Bloom said. [end quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 03:30 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,275,166 times
[quote=Evenstar51;19373149]I believe that "after racial incidents on campus is the key here, and not simply that the kids innocently wore white tees.
Quote:
"If I stand by while someone else does something hateful, I share in the blame. We are trying to teach kids responsibility and what it means to be part of a community. That is part of what high school is about," Bloom said. [end quote]
Reread the article. One of the kids suspended was Asian and in no way supporting White Supremacy. Geeeeeez.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:40 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Actually, white shirts and bandannas. As I am sure you know, bandannas have been used as a "code" for a long time in gang circles. Now, these kids were suspected, and there was no proof.

I disagree with the school's actions in this case, but there is no question that the school has the right to do it. Schools act in loco parentis, and children do not have the same rights that adults have, especially when under parental control. How many parents have punished a child for a suspected action - they just know the kid did it, but they have no proof?

Ok..so guilty until proven innocent and suspend them anyway.
So how does one go about proving their innocence when they are accused of being part of a supremist group ?

Do you send your kids to school wearing white tshirts ?

Old 05-30-2011, 03:46 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
[quote=Evenstar51;19373149]I believe that "after racial incidents on campus is the key here, and not simply that the kids innocently wore white tees.
Quote:

He could have suspended the entire class. That way he would have been sure to punish anyone who had racist thoughts.

The principal is an idiot.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:57 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
And people wonder why the rest of the country rolls its eyes at California.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:05 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,415,085 times
[quote=maja;19373201]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
I believe that "after racial incidents on campus is the key here, and not simply that the kids innocently wore white tees.

Reread the article. One of the kids suspended was Asian and in no way supporting White Supremacy. Geeeeeez.
Does that mean he wasn't in on "the joke"? Those kids thought it was a funny prank.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:05 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Soon, brown will be the only shirt children are allowed to wear...

Plain White T’s Evil? ‘Diverse’ Group of Students Suspended for Claims Of White Supremacy Because They Wore White T-Shirts for Senior Picture Day | The Blaze

Apparently, the kids were suspected of being members of a "white supremisist" group. But, one of the boys is Asian! Can't wait to hear more on this doozie of a story.
Thats just stupid, I hope they sue the school.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:49 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Ok..so guilty until proven innocent and suspend them anyway.
So how does one go about proving their innocence when they are accused of being part of a supremist group ?

Do you send your kids to school wearing white tshirts ?
That's where the actual parents come in; they can help their children appeal.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:51 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
That's where the actual parents come in; they can help their children appeal.
So you are fine with guilty until proven innocent..even for minors ?
Sad world we live in these days.

Again..do you send your kids to school in white tshirts ?

Old 05-30-2011, 04:57 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,996 times
[quote=maja;19373201]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post

I read that, and read about his grandparents being interred during WW II.
I only pointed out that there "had been racial incidents on campus." That seemed to foster a feeling of fear among the students whose race or religion was targeted in such instances. That doesn't seem unreasonable. No need to attack the messenger, folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies