Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 08:10 PM

46,276 posts, read 27,088,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc42gb43 View Post
Over/under on the number of times Byrd will be invoked in this thread: 12.

Each time it will be an irrelevant distraction, but ultimately I can't find myself to care all that much about who claims to be a republican or democrat in a primary.
Well, just like the guy in NY....you have to look at what they ran as prior....and just because you affiliate yourself with the republicans does not mean you are.....

Have you ever noticed no republicans running as dems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 08:15 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Of course you'll notice the Republican party reputiated him. The Dems on the other hand made a former Grand Wizard a lion of the Senate. Plus his beliefs parallel conventional Dem beliefs, pro abortion, anti-death penalty, pro drugs, and a racist. I think he is running in the wrong party.
Of course you didn't notice that Robert Bryd publically called his association with the KKK one of the worst decisons of his life.

Senator Robert Byrd

Quote:
Ku Klux Klan

In the early 1940s, Byrd recruited 150 of his friends and associates to create a new chapter of the Ku Klux Klan.[9]

According to Byrd, a Klan official told him, "You have a talent for leadership, Bob ... The country needs young men like you in the leadership of the nation." Byrd later recalled, "suddenly lights flashed in my mind! Someone important had recognized my abilities! I was only 23 or 24 years old, and the thought of a political career had never really hit me. But strike me that night, it did."[9] Byrd held the titles Kleagle (recruiter) and Exalted Cyclops.[9] When it came time to elect the "Exalted Cyclops", the top officer in the local Klan unit, Byrd won unanimously.[9]

In 1944, Byrd wrote to segregationist Mississippi Senator Theodore G. Bilbo:[17]“ I shall never fight in the armed forces with a Negro by my side ... Rather I should die a thousand times, and see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds. ”
— Robert C. Byrd, in a letter to Sen. Theodore Bilbo (D-MS), 1944, [9][18]

In 1946 or 1947, Byrd wrote a letter to a Grand Wizard stating, "The Klan is needed today as never before, and I am anxious to see its rebirth here in West Virginia and in every state in the nation."[19] However, when running for the United States House of Representatives in 1952, he announced "After about a year, I became disinterested, quit paying my dues, and dropped my membership in the organization. During the nine years that have followed, I have never been interested in the Klan." He said he had joined the Klan because he felt it offered excitement and was anti-communist.[9]

In 1997, Byrd told an interviewer he would encourage young people to become involved in politics but also: "Be sure you avoid the Ku Klux Klan. Don't get that albatross around your neck. Once you've made that mistake, you inhibit your operations in the political arena."[20] In his last autobiography, Byrd explained that he was a KKK member because he "was sorely afflicted with tunnel vision —a jejune and immature outlook—seeing only what I wanted to see because I thought the Klan could provide an outlet for my talents and ambitions."[21] Byrd also said, in 2005, "I know now I was wrong. Intolerance had no place in America. I apologized a thousand times ... and I don't mind apologizing over and over again. I can't erase what happened."[9]

Old 06-01-2011, 08:21 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,402,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Well, just like the guy in NY....you have to look at what they ran as prior....and just because you affiliate yourself with the republicans does not mean you are.....

Have you ever noticed no republicans running as dems?
Are you sggesting that the guy is a plant, making himself look like a clown to everyone and then associating himself with the GOP to make them look bad? That would be quite the commitment. I'm not sure I'd want to be loathed by ~90% of the populace in order to provide a cheap partisan punchline, but maybe that's just me.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:21 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
Default No surprise

Pubs are synonymous with bigotry and even if they publicly try to distance themselves from this racist idiot, He is a manifestation of their racist ideology and beliefs. Not good, Pubs. Yet another Klansman running as a Republican. Pathetic.

No wonder President Obama is blowing your party away despite your efforts to discredit him.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:24 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,597,926 times
This must be some kind of plant. He's liberal but he's vocal about saving the white race?

Old 06-01-2011, 08:26 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,009,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Of course you didn't notice that Robert Bryd publically called his association with the KKK one of the worst decisons of his life.

Senator Robert Byrd
Right, and politicians never lie.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:27 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post

Senator Robert Byrd

LOL, I didn't notice the Dems distance themselves from him when he was in the KKK.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:33 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Pubs are synonymous with bigotry and even if they publicly try to distance themselves from this racist idiot, He is a manifestation of their racist ideology and beliefs. Not good, Pubs. Yet another Klansman running as a Republican. Pathetic.

No wonder President Obama is blowing your party away despite your efforts to discredit him.

Too funny. Now let me see, who was it who called Obama clean and articulate? I think it was the same guy who said you have to be an Indian to own a 7-11.

Obama is set to get his clock cleaned. In case you haven't noticed the economy is sliding down the tubes.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:42 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Robert Byrd, Robert Byrd, Robert Byrd, Robert Byrd, Robert Byrd, Robert Byrd, Robert Byrd,
Democrats are racist, Democrats are racist
squawk - squawk

Old 06-01-2011, 08:48 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,009,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Robert Byrd, Robert Byrd, Robert Byrd, Robert Byrd, Robert Byrd, Robert Byrd, Robert Byrd,
Democrats are racist, Democrats are racist
squawk - squawk
So you're tired of hearing about Byrd (more likely just bothered by the truth).

Here's a change of pace for you;

• Democrats fought to expand slavery while Republicans fought to end it.
  • Democrats passed those discriminatory Black Codes and Jim Crow laws.
  • Democrats supported and passed the Missouri Compromise to protect slavery.
  • Democrats supported and passed the Kansas Nebraska Act to expand slavery.
  • Democrats supported and backed the Dred Scott Decision.
  • Democrats opposed educating blacks and murdered our teachers.
  • Democrats fought against anti-lynching laws.
  • Democrat Senator Robert Byrd of West Virginia, is well known for having been a “Kleagle” in the Ku Klux Klan.
  • Democrat Senator Robert Byrd of West Virginia, personally filibustered the Civil Rights Act of 1964 for 14 straight hours to keep it from passage.
  • Democrats passed the Repeal Act of 1894 that overturned civil right laws enacted by Republicans.
  • Democrats declared that they would rather vote for a “yellow dog” than vote for a Republican, because the Republican Party was known as the party for blacks.
  • Democrat President Woodrow Wilson, reintroduced segregation throughout the federal government immediately upon taking office in 1913.
  • Democrat President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s first appointment to the Supreme Court was a life member of the Ku Klux Klan, Sen. Hugo Black, Democrat of Alabama.
  • Democrat President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s choice for vice president in 1944 was Harry Truman, who had joined the Ku Klux Klan in Kansas City in 1922.
  • Democrat President Franklin D. Roosevelt resisted Republican efforts to pass a federal law against lynching.
  • Democrat President Franklin D. Roosevelt opposed integration of the armed forces.
  • Democrat Senators Sam Ervin, Albert Gore, Sr. and Robert Byrd were the chief opponents of the 1964 Civil Rights Act.
  • Democrats supported and backed Judge John Ferguson in the case of Plessy v Ferguson.
  • Democrats supported the School Board of Topeka Kansas in the case of Brown v The Board of Education of Topeka Kansas.
  • Democrat public safety commissioner Eugene “Bull” Connor, in Birmingham, Ala., unleashed vicious dogs and turned fire hoses on black civil rights demonstrators.
  • Democrats were who Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and the other protesters were fighting.
  • Democrat Georgia Governor Lester Maddox “brandished an ax hammer to prevent blacks from patronizing his restaurant.
  • Democrat Governor George Wallace stood in front of the Alabama schoolhouse in 1963, declaring there would be segregation forever.
  • Democrat Arkansas Governor Faubus tried to prevent desegregation of Little Rock public schools.
  • Democrat Senator John F. Kennedy voted against the 1957 Civil rights Act.
  • Democrat President John F. Kennedy opposed the 1963 March on Washington by Dr. King.
  • Democrat President John F. Kennedy, had Dr. King wiretapped and investigated by the FBI.
  • Democrat President Bill Clinton’s mentor was U.S. Senator J. William Fulbright, an Arkansas Democrat and a supporter of racial segregation.
  • Democrat President Bill Clinton interned for J. William Fulbright in 1966-67.
  • Democrat Senator J. William Fulbright signed the Southern Manifesto opposing the Supreme Court’s 1954 Brown vs. Board of Education decision.
  • Democrat Senator J. William Fulbright joined with the Dixiecrats in filibustering the Civil Rights Acts of 1957 and 1964.
  • Democrat Senator J. William Fulbright voted against the 1965 Voting Rights Act.
  • Southern Democrats opposed desegregation and integration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies