Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 07:23 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,315,757 times

Advertisements

Mont. candidate with KKK ties running for Congress (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110601/ap_on_el_ho/us_kkk_candidate - broken link)

Quote:
HELENA, Mont. – A former organizer for the Ku Klux Klan said Wednesday he is running as a Republican for Montana's U.S. House seat because he believes people will back him as part of a backlash to the nation's first black president.

But John Abarr, a 41-year-old night auditor at a Great Falls hotel who lost a local Republican legislative primary in 2002, could have a hard time getting any backing from Montana Republicans. His platform promises to legalize marijuana, increase mental health programs, keep abortion legal, abolish the death penalty because he argues it is unfair to poor people — and "save the White Race."

Abarr said the election of President Barack Obama prompted him to get back into politics.

"I think that the fact Obama got elected shows that the white people are starting to lose their political power," said Abarr, who last week filed the paperwork to let him start raising money. "I am running to draw attention to the fact that white people are becoming a minority and losing our political power and way of life."

Abarr, who has previously backed the notion of "deporting non-whites back to their homeland," said he no longer organizes for the KKK but is still on its mailing list. He wants a flat income tax and said he chose to run as a Republican because of the party's fiscal policies.
[ For complete coverage of politics and policy, go to Yahoo! Politics ]

Republicans who actively undermined Abarr's 2002 campaign again rebuked him as a racist. Former Congressman Rick Hill said Republicans were founded on freedom, liberty and equal opportunity.

"There's no room for racism in our party," said Hill, who is considered a front-runner for governor in 2012. "That is not what we are about, and we have never been about that."

Leading state Republicans have already rallied around Bozeman businessman Steve Daines in 2012 as the popular choice to replace Republican U.S. Rep. Denny Rehberg, who is running for U.S. Senate.

Democrats challenged Republicans for attracting a candidate with a racist message.

"This is a relationship that the Klu Klux Klan and Montana Republican Party are going to have to explain to Montanans," said Chris Saeger, spokesman for the Montana Democratic Party. "Republicans should join with Democrats and the rest of Montana in rejecting the extreme, hateful agenda of the Klu Klux Klan."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 07:51 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,780,556 times
Of course you'll notice the Republican party reputiated him. The Dems on the other hand made a former Grand Wizard a lion of the Senate. Plus his beliefs parallel conventional Dem beliefs, pro abortion, anti-death penalty, pro drugs, and a racist. I think he is running in the wrong party.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:54 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,709,601 times
Funny thing is I agree with most of those points (marijuana, capital punishment etc) but I don't take kindly to the idea of "deporting non-whites back to their homelands," since I'm pretty sure they'd file me in that category

Old 06-01-2011, 07:57 PM

956 posts, read 1,115,643 times
Birds of a same feather...

Old 06-01-2011, 07:59 PM

46,345 posts, read 27,192,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by africanboy View Post
Yep, as a very senior leader of the KKK, DEMOCRAT Robert Byrd.......SO I guess most democrats are KKK....I mean that is what you are insinuating...right...

Birds of a same feather....

Old 06-01-2011, 08:01 PM

956 posts, read 1,115,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Yep, as a very senior leader of the KKK, DEMOCRAT Robert Byrd.......SO I guess most democrats are KKK....I mean that is what you are insinuating...right...

Birds of a same feather....
Get a sense of humor buddy.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:04 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,780,556 times
Quote:

Believe it or not Republicans don't find racists funny. Dems clearly do, they elected one VP.

45,262 posts, read 26,522,131 times
Quote:
Yeah I was thinking he was really no different than pols like Luis Gutierrez (D) who if he had his way, would import as many non-whites as possible to forward the latino agenda.

1,777 posts, read 1,405,489 times
Over/under on the number of times Byrd will be invoked in this thread: 12.

Each time it will be an irrelevant distraction, but ultimately I can't find myself to care all that much about who claims to be a republican or democrat in a primary.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:07 PM

46,345 posts, read 27,192,583 times
Quote:
Get a sense of humor.......

Please explain HOW or WHY I would ever consider you statement as humor? buddy...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies