Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2011, 01:48 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,259,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I'm a gay man living in world that discriminates against me - a world where tons of people hate me - a world were social conservatives want to outlaw me or at the very least keep me tucked away in a closet hidden from view - all simply because I was born different from them, different from the majority.

I don't see anything wrong with somebody who prefers base3 to base10. It's the people who hate and persecute anything other than base10 out of irrational fear who are wrong. I'm not trying to push base3 on anybody (like you claim) - I just want to be able to use it in peace.
I asked my wife what would have happened if a man showed up to our sons' classes with a dress on and her response was about what I expected. She started talking about the gay teachers they had in high school but also mentioned that none of them tried to push their sexual orientation off on anybody in the school. I don't know how pushy you are or aren't but I never really managed to think anything bad about them as long as they dressed like whichever sex they appeared to be. I have never been against gay people who didn't try to ram their sexuality down my throat. I guess I prefer things to what they were 30 or 40 years ago.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 01:54 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
With all due respect, nim, even teenagers understand that blindness that necessitates a white cane is an unfortunate disability. A man wearing a dress to school is a clear and deliberate choice of how to dress. Thinking teenagers are not going to snicker at a man in a dress is unrealistic. Sure, everyone has to grow up sometime but maturing is not something that can be done overnight, nor simply by telling a student, "You must not snicker at Mr. Math Teacher because he chooses to dress like a woman." Teenagers just can't help their gut reactions to something that will appear ridiculous to them. Whether they manage to suppress the snickering in class or not, they will still talk among themselves outside of class.
I've got made fun of a lot in high school for being blind.

Cross dressing is a choice but being transgender isn't. For transgender people, cross dressing is a "choice", in a lot of the same way carrying a white cane is a "choice", especially for partially blind folks. They can both "technically" go without a cane, or with biological-sex associated clothing, but it's a LOT to ask, not to mention totally disrespectful of the person's needs.

As a formerly blind transgender person, being asked to go out en femme feels just like when my family would pressure me not to use the cane because they were embarrassed.

I guess for some peoPle, conformity is more important than well-being.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:55 PM

Sorry about typos--using my iPhone.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:02 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,353,707 times
the question is interesting, and I've got to say "it depends"! For young children, if the male teacher wearing a dress is obviously male, then an age appropriate explanation (such as "it's ok if people wear clothes that they feel comfortable in, regardless of gender roles") should be provided, if only to avoid questions that might be embarrasing or touch on subjects not suited to the very young. For older children, well. . . .I guess I believe that education about human sexuality probably does belong in the classroom, as well as at home, and this educations should not be based upon anyone's religious belief. The subject of transgender individuals would, along with other subjects, be appropriate for grades 9 through 12, as well as beyond, if necessary.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:08 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I asked my wife what would have happened if a man showed up to our sons' classes with a dress on and her response was about what I expected. She started talking about the gay teachers they had in high school but also mentioned that none of them tried to push their sexual orientation off on anybody in the school. I don't know how pushy you are or aren't but I never really managed to think anything bad about them as long as they dressed like whichever sex they appeared to be. I have never been against gay people who didn't try to ram their sexuality down my throat. I guess I prefer things to what they were 30 or 40 years ago.
I've never understood the statement "gays ramming their sexuality down my throat." What does that mean? Gay rapists? If somebody tries to force their sexuality on you unwantedly, that person should have a long conversation with the police.

I just want to be my gay self. I'd like to be able to bring my boyfriend to my company Christmas party without the fear that I might be fired because my boss discovers I'm gay. I'd like to be able to take my boyfriend out to dinner, get down on one knee and propose to him, then head off to the county clerk and file for our civil marriage certificate. I'd like to be able to join the military and live on base in family housing with my husband - in that situation, I'd like for my husband to be allowed to shop at the base commissary (something DOMA makes illegal). If I were a teacher and a student asked of me "Mr. Ham, are you married" - I'd like to be able to respond by say "Well Clayton, I am. I have a wonderful husband to whom I've been married for 12 years. We have two wonderful children we adopted."

I'd like to not be called a f*g by a group of drunk frat-types as I'm leaving a gay bar (it's happened to me before). Thank god this doesn't happen nearly as much as it use to, but I'm still a bit fearful of being gay-based. Talk to some gay men 40+ who were open about their sexuality in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. Gay men use to wear whistles around there necks for when (not if) they were assaulted. Blow the whistle when threatened, and the nearby gays (and allies) would come running to chase away the bashers. There was no point in calling the police - they wouldn't respond.

I don't want to force my sexuality on anybody. I just want to live in peace and with the same rights as you.

3,681 posts, read 6,273,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Your assessment is spot on ... unfortunately, too few recognize this ... in spite of those who have come forward with irrefutable evidence.

Charlotte Thompson Iserbyt is one such person ..... a high level individual, who's father was a Skull & Bones member. She served as the head of policy at the Department of Education during the Reagan administration.

There, in that capacity, she discovered a long term plan by the tax exempt foundations to transform America from a nation of individualists and problem solvers to a country of servile, brainwashed minions who simply regurgitate whatever they're told.

For those with a short attention span, here are soundbites from a long interview with her:

YouTube - ‪Charlotte Iserbyt - The Dumbing Down of America EXCERPTS‬‏

For those who'd like to watch the whole thing:

YouTube - ‪Charlotte Thomson Iserbyt - Dumbing Down of America 1/7‬‏

This is such important information ... and those who dismiss this ... particularly to those who do ... you are the product of his. You are suffering from a full scale effort to brainwash you. Your dismissal of this information is the evidence of the program's effectiveness.

You are taught what to think ... not how to think. And, you are taught to dismiss any information that contradicts your programming as the catch all "Conspiracy Theory".

Experts in the area of mind control ... manipulation ... propaganda have been around for a very long time ... and the techniques to shape the thoughts of people are well understood. Just like hypnosis however, these techniques aren't fool proof, and some people are more immune to it than others.

But the mechanisms of the human mind have been the subject of much study, and the unconscious and conscious aspects of the way the mind operates provides the course for how to program you like a computer. Why do you think billions are spent each year on "advertising"? Because it works. And part of that process is the subliminal messages which are totally unrecognized by the conscious portion of your mind, going directly to the unconscious portion ... which, the mind sciences have proven does not evaluate or make judgment about the information received ... it simply accepts any information that it receives enough times .... repetition is the key ... not truthfulness or whether it makes any logical sense. This is the foundation of the adage "A lie told often enough, becomes the truth."

It's why religious fundamentalists believe what they do, and cannot be convinced to believe anything else, no matter how much evidence you present them ... no matter how logical or rational the argument you offer them ... they dismiss it ... because the "belief" was never based on reason or logic ... so reason and logic has no effect.

To use a hypothetical ... if, at the age of 3 ... your parents taught you that 2+2=5 ... and then you went to school, and all of your teachers, from K-12 reaffirmed that 2+2=5 .... by the time you reached college, you would be absolutely convinced that 2+2=5 ... and if a college professor with a PhD in Mathematics were to tell you that 2+2 really equaled 4 .... you'd call him a nut or a quack ... he could show you on a board ... he could show you a calculator that proves 2+2=4 ... and you'd still dismiss him and his evidence.

This is the same scenario that happens to individuals that get caught up in some cult ... there are numerous examples of these cult members having to be literally kidnapped and "deprogrammed" to free them from the influence of that group of cultists.

So ... when someone says "meh ... that's just a conspiracy theory" ... it means their program is running as it was intended to do.

The insanity going on all around us isn't recognized as insanity by those so programmed ... the idea of teaching 2nd graders sex education is INSANE ... just as it is insane to hand out condoms to 5th graders .... or promote the acceptance of "cross-dressers" as teachers .... totally irrational ... totally crazy ... but here we have a significant portion of the general audience defending and explaining the values of it.

Now, I've heard countless times from self proclaimed "liberals" that it is a documented fact that "liberals" are predominately found to be "better educated" than their adversaries on the conservative side. This, to them, is evidence that they are correct in their philosophical ideologies, while the less educated "conservatives" are simply not smart enough to understand their liberal brilliance.

The reality is ... education is simply memorization and indoctrination ... nothing more. Consequently .. if the claim is indeed true ... that liberals in majority are "better educated" .... this is really the same thing as saying "liberals are better indoctrinated" ... which explains why some of the most asinine and absurd ideas seem so legitimate to the liberal crowd. They are not voicing their informed opinions ... they are regurgitating someone else's "opinions" implanted in them.

In this case ... 2+2=5 ... an that is final!!! This business of 2+2=4 is just a wacky conspiracy theory.
Thanks for posting this. I have Iserbyt's book, [b]The Deliberate Dumbing Down[/B] of America, which I am still wading my way through. It is a massive read but SO informative and fact based! I came across her work a couple years ago when trying to figure out what in the heck was going on in my child's new school. What an eye opener. I wish we had more Iserbyt's around. We need more intelligent, passionate people of courage who are able and willing to figure out what is really going on and not be afraid to stand up and tell it like it is. I will now go and do some research on the organization identified in the video, "Sovereign Solutions." Thanks again for posting this. Hopefully, it may help alert others to what is happening to our kids.

[quote=momonkey;19432730]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
A male wearing a dress would probably be Mrs. ___ to the kids.

I wouldn't mind. I'm transgender myself and so the idea of my kids having a transgender teacher doesn't scare me. I don't have kids but I also know what being transgender is about and realize there is nothing to fear.

From you point of view, what is too abnormal to bring into the classroom?
Nudity or being extremely revealing (had several teachers like that). I had a teacher that would basically feel herself up during class. Getting too personal, e.g. talking about intimate relationships, anyone's sex life, teaching politics or religion (including atheism/agnosticism) as fact. And needless to say, abuse of any kind. Those are all examples of what I would consider inappropriate and unprofessional.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:02 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,204,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I've got made fun of a lot in high school for being blind.

Cross dressing is a choice but being transgender isn't. For transgender people, cross dressing is a "choice", in a lot of the same way carrying a white cane is a "choice", especially for partially blind folks. They can both "technically" go without a cane, or with biological-sex associated clothing, but it's a LOT to ask, not to mention totally disrespectful of the person's needs.

As a formerly blind transgender person, being asked to go out en femme feels just like when my family would pressure me not to use the cane because they were embarrassed.

I guess for some peoPle, conformity is more important than well-being.
Now I'm confused, nim. In many previous posts you have identified yourself as a lesbian. Are you both a lesbian AND a transgendered person? In other words, you are a female physically but with the psychological makeup of a man?

Although you didn't go into a lot of detail, you have also revealed that you were abused as a child by both sexes. I had assumed this was largely within your family situation. With the vision problems you had as a child, may I ask why you were not in a special school for children who are blind or nearly blind? If you were in public school and the teachers witnessed teasing because of your blindness, it is an outrage that this was allowed.
I think that almost all children do get teasing of some sort when they are teenagers (mine was because of my height). Choosing to dress in the clothing of the opposite gender in social situations is one thing but in the work place, many other factors come into play other than the person's personal preferences.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:14 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Then you must not have kids.

It's one thing to say a person can do whatever they want on your own time and quite another to bring it into the workplace, let alone around impressionable children. Especially when it's someone elses impressionable children. It would be pointless to point out the reality of indoctrination by screaming that this is all about indoctrination, right?
As a PARENT NOBODY SHOULD MAKE A BIGGER IMPRESSION ON YOUR CHILDREN THAN YOU DO!

Old 06-03-2011, 03:18 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I would prefer not to have to have that conversation with my seven year old.......
The choice is yours either have the conservation with your seven year old or let him learn about it on the street.

Plugging your fingers and your ears and covering your eyes and trying to deny or hide reality doesn't change reality. The fact of the matter is a certain percentage of the population either likes to cross-dress or is transgendered. Nothing you do is going to change that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies