Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 03:48 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times

Advertisements

I am diabetic and this is BS, she would have to order a cup of sugar with a little coffee added LOL, I could tell in a heartbeat if it was real sugar or sweetner, at rhe most she would feel a little light headed until it came down and i doubt that. She's just someone trying to get some money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 03:52 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,621,890 times
Again it shows that:

A) we as a society are getting dumber by the minute
B) We "sue" everything and everyone
C) It is just simply amazing that so many people want to "blame" someone else for their mis-steps or stupidity....

Old 06-03-2011, 03:54 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
In a world where people sue McDonald's for serving coffee too hot,
In a world where being burned by coffee resulting in 3rd degree burns dictating skin grafts and an 8 day stay in the hospital is considered a trivial matter because the media would much rather run with a headline than actually report on a story... is why I NEVER argue the merits of a lawsuit, or lack thereof, based upon pretrial newspaper headlines and why I suggest that others refrain from doing so as well.

1,132 posts, read 1,247,012 times
Philadelphia is the frivolous lawsuit capital of the world. I noticed Danielle Jordan isn't asking for lost wages as she probably never worked a day in her life. It would be funny if Dunkin Donuts checked their records and found she also ordered a donut or three.

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
What? Are you off your rocker? Everyone is entitled to a consequence free life.
I know, I'm silly that way

Old 06-03-2011, 04:02 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Well, I suppose it's possible - she could be a brittle diabetic; they tend to have unexpected and out of proportion reactions. Also, she may be among the diabetics who have lost much of their sense of taste when it comes to sweetness. Studies have shown that diabetics cannot taste small amounts of sweetness, depending on their disease progression and current diet.

The thing I remember most clearly about my diabetic uncle was the amount of sugar he put into a bowl of Cheerios for me one morning. It was too much for the milk to dissolve, and I could barely make myself eat just the cereal (the milk was far too sweet). He couldn't taste that it was oversweet.

Of course, she could be just looking for money. If she indeed went to the hospital on the day she bought the coffee, though ... she could have sufficient proof to win a settlement, at minimum.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:14 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
In a world where being burned by coffee resulting in 3rd degree burns dictating skin grafts and an 8 day stay in the hospital is considered a trivial matter because the media would much rather run with a headline than actually report on a story... is why I NEVER argue the merits of a lawsuit, or lack thereof, based upon pretrial newspaper headlines and why I suggest that others refrain from doing so as well.
if it was the fault of mcdonalds that the lady spilled coffee, then i would agree with you. but the lady in that case did everything WRONG, including putting the coffee cup between her legs, removed the top to put in her sugar and what ever else, WHILE SHE WAS DRIVING. in my opinion she deserved exactly NOTHING as the fault was all hers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Well, I suppose it's possible - she could be a brittle diabetic; they tend to have unexpected and out of proportion reactions. Also, she may be among the diabetics who have lost much of their sense of taste when it comes to sweetness. Studies have shown that diabetics cannot taste small amounts of sweetness, depending on their disease progression and current diet.

The thing I remember most clearly about my diabetic uncle was the amount of sugar he put into a bowl of Cheerios for me one morning. It was too much for the milk to dissolve, and I could barely make myself eat just the cereal (the milk was far too sweet). He couldn't taste that it was oversweet.

Of course, she could be just looking for money. If she indeed went to the hospital on the day she bought the coffee, though ... she could have sufficient proof to win a settlement, at minimum.
i can go along with this, but the fact of the matter is that she should have ordered her coffee black, and put the sweetener she wanted into the cup herself, not let the person behind the counter do it. us diabetics have to be aware that people can make mistakes, and if we have special dietary needs, then we need to make sure that they are met. and that means not letting others give us something that might be sweetened with sugar, or corn syrup, or other sugar based sweeteners.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:16 PM

23,561 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Default whose fault?

Who is at fault in the town known for its "Philadelphia lawyers"?

Lawyers are at fault.

This is an unethical scam to earn a very few bucks for the client and even more for the lawyers. DD will indeed settle to avoid legal costs and avoid bad publicity even though they will probably win.

This legal maneuver designed to protect the rights of the offended is what is helping to destroy our country. No moral judgement is involved. This is the right up there with the judge who sued the dry cleaners who lost his pants for 7 million $$$. Cleaners won but went broke and lost their business. Is that what the law is supposed to do?

The law alone is inadequate to rule society as there can never be enough laws to replace the moral guidance born of Judeo-Christian religion.

The law is designed to destroy what it pretends to protect.

A lawyer is like a firearm in that it has great potential for abuse.

With a demographic that believed Obama would pay their bills from his stash if he were elected, we have the perfect situation to be played by lawyers and politicians.

Barring that the DD counter person was not contrated to kill that women, the suit has no merit when given the 'red faced test'.

Because the 'truth' can never be resolved in the vortex of appeals, reversals, settlements and interpretation, no reference is provided to establish right from wrong. Without that guidance society can run amuck as their lawyer will always encourage a not guilty plea to be entered.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:21 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
cases like that are exactly why we need tort reform, including a loser pays system, and why we need to eliminate lawyer advertising except in the phone book.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:27 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,655,613 times
I suffer from afib which is a fast heart beat.I take medication twice daily to keep it in check! I love my coffee but I have to make sure its decaf so when I go through drive thru I make sure when they hand it to me to ask if its decaf. I have to take some personal responsibilty for my own health and accept the consequences if I don't!! If you tell the server I have diabetes etc. and its important I don't have sugar most people have enough milk of human kindness to make the effort to ensure they get the order right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies