Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 03:18 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,584,379 times

Advertisements

In a world where people sue McDonald's for serving coffee too hot, a Philadelphia woman has sued a Dunkin' Donuts for serving coffee she says was too sweet - so sweet it sent her into a diabetic coma.

Danielle Jordan, 47, of Oxford Avenue near Langdon Street in Crescentville, filed a personal injury lawsuit against the Dunkin' Donuts on Frankford Avenue near Bridge Street and Northeast Donut Shops Management Corp.

Woman sues Dunkin' Donuts for sugary brew | Philadelphia Daily News | 06/03/2011
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 03:19 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,469,320 times
They'll settle just to rid themselves of it...

[unfortunately]

Old 06-03-2011, 03:26 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,830,354 times
this womans blood sugar had to be quite high to begin with in order for a cup of coffee loaded with sugar to put her into a diabetic coma. if she couldnt tell from the first sip that the coffee had too much sugar in it, its her own fault. and yes i am diabetic myself.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:28 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,192,036 times
Happened to me once as well at a drive thru Tim Hortons, I am diabetic but I didn't go
into a coma. Since then I order my coffee with sweetener on the side, I can understand
how easy it would be to make a mistake such as this, those places get really busy sometimes.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:29 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,655,576 times
From the article:

Jordan is seeking unspecified damages after she claims she ordered coffee with artificial sweetener on June 15, 2009, but the server put sugar into the brew, according to the suit, which was first reported this morning by the Courthouse News Service.

Hmmm...well, I'm not a sue-happy person by nature, however, the woman is a diabetic and claims to have asked for artificial sweetener and got sugar instead. Someone making the coffee made a mistake that could have killed her.

I always have the opposite problem: I don't like artificial sweeteners so I order regular Coke. Half the time, the drive in window people give me Diet Coke. Yuck. Fortunately my life doesn't depend on it but I guess if I had PKU it would.

I digress though...I firmly believe that if you have health issues such as this, you need to be intervening on your food prep. The woman needs to order the coffee black and sweeten it herself so she can see what goes in it. My son has a peanut allergy and I wouldn't dream of letting/trusting food prep staff to keep the food safe.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:34 PM

45,217 posts, read 26,427,822 times
If it's that critical to her health she should assume responsibilty and only drink/eat things that she can prepare.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:40 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,830,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
From the article:

Jordan is seeking unspecified damages after she claims she ordered coffee with artificial sweetener on June 15, 2009, but the server put sugar into the brew, according to the suit, which was first reported this morning by the Courthouse News Service.

Hmmm...well, I'm not a sue-happy person by nature, however, the woman is a diabetic and claims to have asked for artificial sweetener and got sugar instead. Someone making the coffee made a mistake that could have killed her.

I always have the opposite problem: I don't like artificial sweeteners so I order regular Coke. Half the time, the drive in window people give me Diet Coke. Yuck. Fortunately my life doesn't depend on it but I guess if I had PKU it would.

I digress though...I firmly believe that if you have health issues such as this, you need to be intervening on your food prep. The woman needs to order the coffee black and sweeten it herself so she can see what goes in it. My son has a peanut allergy and I wouldn't dream of letting/trusting food prep staff to keep the food safe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
If it's that critical to her health she should assume responsibilty and only drink/eat things that she can prepare.
i agree with both of you, however she has control issues with her sugars to begin with.

Last edited by observer53; 06-03-2011 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: not edited. opened by mistake.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:41 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,860,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
What? Are you off your rocker? Everyone is entitled to a consequence free life.

39,868 posts, read 26,495,821 times
If you're diabetic, why would you order your coffee with any sweetener already in it? Is it that hard to get the sweetener on the side and add it yourself?

111 posts, read 97,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
this womans blood sugar had to be quite high to begin with in order for a cup of coffee loaded with sugar to put her into a diabetic coma. if she couldnt tell from the first sip that the coffee had too much sugar in it, its her own fault. and yes i am diabetic myself.
Yeah I just can't imagine a little bit of sugar sending someone into a diabetic coma, just a guess but the amount of sugar that was in the coffee probably wasn't over 20-25 or so grams of sugar and if it was more anyone should clearly be able to taste the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies