Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 07:44 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,976 times

Advertisements

1. I am diabetic, so I know what I am talking about.

2. It is IMPOSSIBLE to put so much sugar in that cup of coffee to have put the drinker of that coffee into a diabetic coma, UNLESS, her blood sugar was already through the roof, or the coffee was like syrup. Even if her blood sugar was 200, and they put 3 teaspoons of sugar in the coffee, it could not have put her into a diabetic coma.

3. EVEN if the Coffee was like Syrup, AND her blood Sugar was a little elevated, it takes a bit of time for the liquid to be assimilated into the body, enough so that she should have been able to drive 15 min to work, sit down, take her blood sugar and inject some fast acting insulin.

4. Diabetics are normally (or should be), fairly observant of their condition, and changes in sugar level affects the body and anyone who has to live with diabetes KNOWS what high blood sugar levels and low blood sugar levels feels like. I keep a kit with me almost ALL the time with glucose for low blood sugar, and insulin and testing supplies for everything else.

edited, added line 4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 08:18 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
If you're diabetic, why would you order your coffee with any sweetener already in it? Is it that hard to get the sweetener on the side and add it yourself?
And why would a diabetic go to Dunkin Donuts in the first place?

Old 06-04-2011, 08:22 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,044,413 times
People generally go into diabetic shock by their sugar being too low.

I've never heard of that happening to a diabetic who's sugar was too high.

Looks like an ambulance chaser to me.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And why would a diabetic go to Dunkin Donuts in the first place?
Where else would YOU go for a bear claw?

Old 06-04-2011, 08:24 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I have friends who are diabetic, and those in my family. When you are diabetic, never assume someone is going to do what you ask. The people i know, watch for themselves, very easy to make a mistake as in this case. They watch as they are given coffee or whatever it is thay they ask for, because the diabetic themself has also got to take responsibility and make sure their actions are followed thru. Don't ever assume employees are not going to make mistakes, they do they are only human. It is sad that people suffer at the hands of others for clearly making mistakes, but also the diabetic has got to also take responsibility, because mistakes will and are going to happen.
Also the employees are usually kids in many fast food places. They have no understanding that some people request an item for health reasons. I remember when I was in college working somewhere an a customer requested a diet drink and the employee assumed it was because the customer was trying to lose weight - they were out of the diet so the employee simply substituted a sugar sweetened drink laughing that the customer wasn't going to lose weight that day. I said - maybe the customer is a diabetic and can't have sugar and it was obvious that never occurred to the employee.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:26 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,909,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
If it's that critical to her health she should assume responsibilty and only drink/eat things that she can prepare.
Agreed.

If she is diabetic, why the **** is she going to Dunkin' Donuts? Don't give me this about "oh It's OK", no it's not. Ask ANY diabetic nutritionist. You cannot possibly walk into a donut shop and expect any diabetic friendly menu. That's insane...

Old 06-04-2011, 08:28 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
People generally go into diabetic shock by their sugar being too low.

I've never heard of that happening to a diabetic who's sugar was too high.

Looks like an ambulance chaser to me.
I guess there are a few things you don't know aobut diabetes.

Hyperglycemia (High blood glucose) - American Diabetes Association

Old 06-04-2011, 08:28 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,280,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Even so, the syrup would be unlikely to put her into a coma. Your blood sugar generally has to be >600 (~100 is normal) to go into a coma. It would take a lot more than the above to raise one's bs to 600, assuming it was normal when drinking the coffee.
Yes, I agree - I think her bs would have had to be through the roof already, and that's certainly a possibility. Unlikely, though. She still may get a settlement from DD, since it's cheaper to settle than to litigate.

I had more of a reply, but had feline intervention and lost it.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I guess there are a few things you don't know aobut diabetes.

Hyperglycemia (High blood glucose) - American Diabetes Association
You're right.

Pay her.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:40 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
You're right.

Pay her.
Where, in any of my posts on this subject, did I agree with the woman? See posts #30 and 35.

Some people just can't be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies