Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 07:45 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,278,037 times

Advertisements

Disgusting. I am in the middle of a very enlightening book that outlines the demise of economic freedom in this country: "The Right To Earn A Living: Economic Freedom and The Law" by Timothy Sandefur. I recommend it highly to those who are under the false assumption that the Government and Unions are protectors of the common worker/ the little guy. What a crock...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 07:46 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,766,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
Of course YOU do....
Oh, and don't forget the 90% of Americans who do not belong to unions and, I would imagine, a good deal of the union members who do not live in right to work states.......

Old 06-03-2011, 07:47 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,203,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Oh, and don't forget the 90% of Americans who do not belong to unions and, I would imagine, a good deal of the union members who do not live in right to work states.......
Are you including children in that 90%?

Old 06-03-2011, 07:49 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,766,220 times
Quote:
Nope. Union membership in this country runs about 9%, I there you a bone and kicked it up a percent.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:52 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,988,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Disgusting. I am in the middle of a very enlightening book that outlines the demise of economic freedom in this country: "The Right To Earn A Living: Economic Freedom and The Law" by Timothy Sandefur. I recommend it highly to those who are under the false assumption that the Government and Unions are protectors of the common worker/ the little guy. What a crock...
The highest standard of living countries have the highest unionization rates.

So you don't know what you are talking about.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:53 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,701,155 times
I worked for a supermarket that does not have a union, and our starting pay was a hell of a lot better than the unionized supermarkets. We also got much better benefits and much better working/managerial environments.

My father answers to no mob boss and pays no racket dues and seems to do just fine, as do all his other coworkers, as do a lot of the other people I know.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:56 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,278,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
The highest standard of living countries have the highest unionization rates.

So you don't know what you are talking about.
Tell that to the taxi cab drivers in Miami.

13,186 posts, read 14,988,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Companies can certainly take into consideration the economic/business impact of a striking union.

Are you aware of how many times the union has engaged in a strike within the last 8 years? How many BILLIONS it has cost Boeing?

They aren't moving work away. This is NEW work. The NLRB is on shaky ground here.

I can't believe even the most extremist of the Left would think it is OK for a government entity to dictate to a private sector company WHERE they can set up shop.

They can accuse all they want, but it's not true. In fact, Boeing was engaged in negotiations with the union for YEARS before deciding to OPEN A BRAND NEW PLANT FOR NEW WORK.

They have ADDED 2000 jobs in the WA plant. I'm sure you're not aware of ANY of the above.

The unions don't get to dictate where new work will be.

Did you know this?

So the workers USED to belong to the union, but they threw the union out on their ear.

What were you saying about retaliation?

The most radical, leftist, job killing, economy destroying president this country has ever seen.
They can't dictate where or when a company can move. But if that move is to punish a union for striking, as their own words indicated, then the NRLB can take corrective action.

It's a legal question that goes over your head if you can't set aside your ideology for 1 minute.

23,416 posts, read 37,029,273 times
Quote:
Apparently the new devil is workers unions, some folks are just a little too obtuse to know the difference between those kind of unions, and government unions.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:58 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,203,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Nope. Union membership in this country runs about 9%, I there you a bone and kicked it up a percent.
You should have kicked it up more, as of January 21, 2011 it was 11.9%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies