Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 09:03 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Most republican voters probably wont care it will be the general voter if Its Romeny vs Obama.
Assuming he gets that far. RomCare is his problem and he in consistant record.
In other words you have no idea what your going to get if he is elected president.
We will get a real American with EXPERIENCE and a track record of success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 09:12 AM

1,027 posts, read 824,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Most republican voters probably wont care it will be the general voter if Its Romeny vs Obama.
Assuming he gets that far. RomCare is his problem and he in consistant record.
In other words you have no idea what your going to get if he is elected president.

I agree of course any Republican would vote for Romney over Obama.

But will people even wait in line to SHOW up to vote for Romney?

Old 06-06-2011, 09:15 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
I really don't have time to post much this morning as I am leaving for an appointment that will take up most of my day. Otherwise, I'd probably respond to several of the posts on this thread individually.

I just wanted to say, as a practicing Mormon, that I really do feel as if 90% of the problem is ignorance. People don't understand Mormonism, so they fear it. If people really understood our doctrines and practices, they would not necessarily embrace them, but they would realize that a Mormon candidate's religion should not raise any red flags. I voted for Obama in the last election, and I will probably vote for him again, rather than for Romney, if he ends up being the Republican candidate. Obviously, my vote for President of the United States would not be based on religion, and neither should anybody else's. A lot of people have said that they would never consider voting for a Mormon, but nobody has ever given me a rational, educated reason why.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:19 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Who cares? Romney has always had ONE wife. If Romney wanted to paint the White House "blue" he would not have the power to do so. What you believe and what you can get done are two different things.
The point is the Mormon church has disavowed polygamy since 1890. I was playing Devil's Advocate, which clearly you didn't get. to you!

Old 06-06-2011, 09:25 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,329,966 times
I don't care about his religion. This country had no trouble voting in a man who went to a church that preached hate whitey and hate America and claimed white America created the HIV virus to destroy black people.

All the Mormons I've ever met are decent, clean living, hard-working people. And they care about others. Some of their beliefs might strike me as silly, but I would rather have a man like Mitt Romney trying to solve this country's problems than the current economic dunce-in-chief.

Last edited by Dockside; 06-06-2011 at 10:45 AM..

Old 06-06-2011, 09:34 AM

1,027 posts, read 824,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I really don't have time to post much this morning as I am leaving for an appointment that will take up most of my day. Otherwise, I'd probably respond to several of the posts on this thread individually.

I just wanted to say, as a practicing Mormon, that I really do feel as if 90% of the problem is ignorance. People don't understand Mormonism, so they fear it. If people really understood our doctrines and practices, they would not necessarily embrace them, but they would realize that a Mormon candidate's religion should not raise any red flags. I voted for Obama in the last election, and I will probably vote for him again, rather than for Romney, if he ends up being the Republican candidate. Obviously, my vote for President of the United States would not be based on religion, and neither should anybody else's. A lot of people have said that they would never consider voting for a Mormon, but nobody has ever given me a rational, educated reason why.

I will give you a reason why.

Its a very cult like and freedom restricting religion no coffee/no soft drinks etc etc...anybody that willingly lives like that would be more apt to restrict the freedoms of others. And that can actually be seen with RomneyCare from a REPUBLICAN.

Another issue is the religion was founded on very racist/sexist principles which they did not "disavow" until well into the Civil Rights movement when it became "POLITICALLY" necessary not that they actually saw anything wrong with it before then.

Now if someone "says" their Mormon but doesn't actually follow it then I could also vote for them...but a true believer...Never.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:58 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDirector View Post
I agree of course any Republican would vote for Romney over Obama.

But will people even wait in line to SHOW up to vote for Romney?
Doubtful. The only way a republican candidate will get any strong votes is by pulling off the impossible task of appeasing to the far right/tea party crazies, impress the evangelicals, all the while being sane enough to get the moderates and independents out.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:04 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Being a Mormon sure has not been a factor in electing and re-electing Harry Reid to public office. I certainly can't see that it has affected his policies or voting record either. As far as I'm concerned, if liberal MA can elect Mitt Romney as their governor, I could vote for him for President.

And kudos to him for keeping his religion out of his legislation as it should be....however, read below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
There are a lot of Mormons in Nevada. It is to MA's credit that they didn't reject Romney b/c of his Mormonism. When he was running in the primaries last time, my Mormon niece said there was a lot of prejudice in the Pittsburgh area (where she lived at the time) towards his religion.

Those of you who said you could NEVER vote for a Mormon must not remember when Kennedy ran for POTUS. The anti-Catholics said he'd take his orders from the Pope.
Religion always have had influence on politics...they can't keep their power hungry money grubbing hands off of it...

REMEMBER when John Kerry(when running for office) was told he couldn't have a cookie at mass because he supported women's choice?????

I remember my mother's slimeball priest handing out POLITICAL texts after mass in the 2004 elections.....

Old 06-06-2011, 10:10 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
And kudos to him for keeping his religion out of his legislation as it should be....however, read below...

Religion always have had influence on politics...they can't keep their power hungry money grubbing hands off of it...

REMEMBER when John Kerry(when running for office) was told he couldn't have a cookie at mass because he supported women's choice?????

I remember my mother's slimeball priest handing out POLITICAL texts after mass in the 2004 elections.....
Roman Catholicism has always been "activist" when it comes to expressing its political perspective. This is possibly because it has a more defined organizational structure than many protestant, jewish, muslim or other denominations.

I am an atheist and my only interest in religion is its political impact in areas which affect me personally. In this regard, I find Roman Catholicism to be far more nefarious than Mormonism.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:40 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDirector View Post
I will give you a reason why.

Its a very cult like and freedom restricting religion no coffee/no soft drinks etc etc...
I'll get back to you when I finish my Diet Coke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies