Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 08:52 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Which points to another thing. The growth in Texas is for the most part driven by new businesses and people coming to the state. It's not being driven by internal business growth.

At some point the increasing population will lead to traffic. ( I bet folks in Dallas LOVE the construction on 635), additional pollution, higher energy cost
and increasing stresses in terms of infrastructure like water resources, which is the sleeping giant that is at some point going to bite Texas in the *ss.

The consequence of having so many new people coming to Texas it that they will bring thier polltical and social attitiudes with them. Texas will inveriably grow but it's also going to change.

While you rave about the growth that's the price you pay.
Don't be so quick to assume that everyone moving to Texas from CA is going to start insisting that TX become more like CA.

I moved here because of the economy AND the political climate. I hated CA's policies, and moved to TX because I LIKE their's. I don't want it to change at all. I'm just one person, but I hardly think I'm alone in my thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 08:55 AM

589 posts, read 376,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Don't be so quick to assume that everyone moving to Texas from CA is going to start insisting that TX become more like CA.

I moved here because of the economy AND the political climate. I hated CA's policies, and moved to TX because I LIKE their's. I don't want it to change at all. I'm just one person, but I hardly think I'm alone in my thinking.
you're not alone, I met many people thinking like you from California and Michigan

Old 06-13-2011, 11:01 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,934,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
People working.

Low unemployment.

Great economy.

And,....best of all........

Few Liberals.

Eat your hearts out liberals/democrats.
You actually believe that don't ya
Casper

Old 06-13-2011, 12:15 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,771,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flize View Post
Old.
Contrary to California, Texas has an ambitious budget to eliminate these deficits, and like Texas is clearly in good shape economically these deficits will be easier to eliminate
Texas has the second-lowest debt per capita

Liveblog: Texas Legislature Passes $15 Billion In Cuts — Budget | The Texas Tribune

And $6.5B leaving in the Rainy Day Fund.
Do you even know what a structural revenue problem is? Tell you what, prove to me you know what it is (or "was" if you think its fixed). It was caused by a decision in Texas several years ago. Then if you think it was fixed, tell me how they fixed it (I'm dying to hear this one).

If you insist on just just making comments with a smirk with random links, then go ahead. It just shows you don't have enough experience with economic theory to honestly debate this.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:09 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Casper
Comparatively speaking,...yes it is true. If you can disprove it, you're free to do so. Texas' economy is better than most other states, and the unemployment is lower than most. Republicans own all/slmost all state wide offices.

Sorry you don't like Texas,....but I-20 and I-10 run east and west,....I-35 north and south.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
Comparatively speaking,...yes it is true. If you can disprove it, you're free to do so. Texas' economy is better than most other states, and the unemployment is lower than most. Republicans own all/slmost all state wide offices.

Sorry you don't like Texas,....but I-20 and I-10 run east and west,....I-35 north and south.
I agree that compared to many other states we are doing better but there are still major issues here as well, sticking your head in the sand ignoring that is your choice. GOP redistricting didn't hurt either did it Sol
I will stay, I Love my country (oops, I mean my State) but that does not mean I cannot voice my opinion of some of our politicians, but you are welcome to take your own advice.
Casper

Old 06-14-2011, 08:56 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,024 times
Quote:
I agree that compared to many other states we are doing better but there are still major issues here as well, sticking your head in the sand ignoring that is your choice. GOP redistricting didn't hurt either did it Sol
I will stay, I Love my country (oops, I mean my State) but that does not mean I cannot voice my opinion of some of our politicians, but you are welcome to take your own advice.
Casper
"Sticking (my) head in the sand"? I believe I can identify the major issues as well as you, and understand that Texas is handling them better than many other states.

You and others always consider the glass "half empty" while other consider it half full. Honestly don't understand your pessimism, and the fact that you seem never to have anything positive to say about Texas. If I felt that way, I'd be looking for another state that provided a better political atmosphere.

Redistricting? Such a short memory you have. It apparently was just fine when the democrats was running the show.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:56 AM

[quote=sol11;19583266]"Sticking (my) head in the sand"? I believe I can identify the major issues as well as you, and understand that Texas is handling them better than many other states.
I agreed with that, try paying closer attention in the future. That still does not mean all is great in our Great State, enjoy your sand nap.

You and others always consider the glass "half empty" while other consider it half full. Honestly don't understand your pessimism, and the fact that you seem never to have anything positive to say about Texas. If I felt that way, I'd be looking for another state that provided a better political atmosphere.
Nice attempt at a blanket statement, unfortunately, for you, it is incorect. I have said many time to others here looking for work and a low tax burden to come here because it IS better in Texas.
There you go again try to get me to leave, YOU first.

Redistricting? Such a short memory you have. It apparently was just fine when the democrats was running the show.
The Dems did nothing when it came to redistricting that is currently affecting the nature of voting in this state. Personally I feel it should be done by a non-partisan group, otherwise we get the same old BS, no matter who runs the show. Good try at ignoring who has been running the state for the last decade or so and who has done what, defection failure on your part. [/quote]
Casper

Old 06-14-2011, 12:21 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,946,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flize View Post
Texas again has been ranked the top exporting state, according to data released by the U.S. Department of Commerce.
"Texas' ranking as the nation's top exporter for nine years running is a testament to our strong economy and the importance of upholding low taxes, reasonable regulations, a fair legal system and an equipped workforce," Gov. Rick Perry stated in a news release.
Texas' exports in 2010 totaled more than $206.6 billion, up 26.7 percent from $162.9 billion in 2009.
The state's exports outperformed overall U.S. exports, which grew by 20.9 percent in 2010.
The state's top export recipients were Mexico, Canada, China, Brazil and South Korea, which respectively imported $72.3 billion, $18.6 billion, $10.2 billion, $7.1 billion and $6.4 billion in Texas-made goods.

Texas leads nation in exports, job creation » Times Record News

This is HOW you create job, this is HOW you lead
GDP growth expected in the US in 2011: 2.6%.In Texas 3.7%
It is a good for Texas that they have Austin. The only place in Texas that I would consider living.

[LEFT]Austin, Texas Leads the Nation in Job Growth

Read more: Austin, Texas Leads the Nation in Job Growth - CBS News
[/LEFT]

Old 06-14-2011, 12:22 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Casper
You actually don't. But then, when you only see the world through your liberal-colored glasses, the truth is hard to find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies