Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 09:03 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
I watched the whole video, and to my surprise, I agree with the teachers mission. This is probably the first time I've agreed with clb10.
Thank you.

As someone else said on another thread its about:

CULTURE NOT SKIN COLOR

There are plenty of "Jerry Springer Show" type whites who could use some lessons on diction and poise too.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:08 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
I agree with the teacher, too. I'm white, but my parents grew up poor and kind of hickish, and my mother only has a ninth-grade education. I always wrote properly, but when I was young and started working I became more aware that that some words and phrases I used were grammatically incorrect, and I made an effort to polish the way I spoke. When I'm with my family, I don't always speak the same way I do in a business setting.

There's a black woman at work, brilliant, with advanced degrees. LOL, I've noticed that when she's excited or upset about something, she tends to lapse back into "ax" mode. I find language fascinating, so I don't care if someone doesn't speak proper English, but the fact remains that many people do and make judgments about a person that way. I guess I do, too, sometimes. I work with construction contracts, and I wince in pain every time I hear someone say "ashphalt".

Old 06-11-2011, 09:10 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Thank you.

As someone else said on another thread its about:

CULTURE NOT SKIN COLOR

There are plenty of "Jerry Springer Show" type whites who could use some lessons on diction and poise too.
Or Judge Judy. I watched one day as a white man was saying that his friend borrowed him some money. Judy just ripped him on that one!

Old 06-11-2011, 09:10 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Do people spell it ax or axe in writing, or do they just pronounce it in speaking?
Aks?

Old 06-11-2011, 09:11 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,924,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I agree with the teacher, too. I'm white, but my parents grew up poor and kind of hickish, and my mother only has a ninth-grade education. I always wrote properly, but when I was young and started working I became more aware that that some words and phrases I used were grammatically incorrect, and I made an effort to polish the way I spoke. When I'm with my family, I don't always speak the same way I do in a business setting.

There's a black woman at work, brilliant, with advanced degrees. LOL, I've noticed that when she's excited or upset about something, she tends to lapse back into "ax" mode. I find language fascinating, so I don't care if someone doesn't speak proper English, but the fact remains that many people do and make judgments about a person that way.
thats true. a guy at my work i swear came from amarillo, texas.

he had the hickiest cowboy drawl i ever heard and he was hard to understand.

if he wanted to i think he could've gotten work in the entertainment business for a cowboy voiceover

Old 06-11-2011, 09:11 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

There's a black woman at work, brilliant, with advanced degrees. LOL, I've noticed that when she's excited or upset about something, she tends to lapse back into "ax" mode. I find language fascinating, so I don't care if someone doesn't speak proper English, but the fact remains that many people do and make judgments about a person that way.
Hell my sophomore English teacher wouldn't let us use the word lot to describe a large amount of some substance.

Such as

"Thats a lot of words." In his teachings, he said "What, did someone take pen to paper, and fill out enough sheets to fill an entire parcel of land?"

I still refrain from using "a lot" to describe quantity.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:23 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
1) Native Americans are generally Bi-lingual though, you're proving my point.

2) We don't see native whites speaking with radically different wording like Ebonics has, and then especially trying to make that acceptable in schools.

3) I'm just saying that comparing native americans of African decent to hispanics and asians that had other languages in their home growing up, and speak themselves quite often, to the slang terms of ebonics.

4) If African americans had been speaking African this whole time, it'd be different I suppose. But most African americans I know don't know a word of their native tongue.

1) The majority of Native Americans are not bilingual - they are actually losing many of their native languages with each generation

2) Yes, White Americans have "radically different wording" as well as speech patterns (although these are typically attributed to regional distinctions and not by race) A Bostonian sounds marked different from a Californian

3) What are Native Americans of "African descent"? No, I was comparing American born English speakers of various ethnic backgrounds. Phonological and articulatory disorders that exist specifically and distinctly within each group.

4) What is speaking "African"?

Many of the speech patterns that exist today within the African American community (as well as within other ethnic groups) have a basis in the roots of the ancestral languages and language patterns combined with the dialects that developed from the combination of the ancestral language being adapted to English via means that were not structured (ie via a formal education).

Many children will mimic speech patterns of their parents who mimiced the speech patterns of their parents and so on and so forth. For example, children of a hear-impaired parent may mimic some of the speech patterns of that parent.

Also, articulation and phonological disorders are not absolute indicators of a child's intellect. But correcting inconsequential deviations from Standard American English is both time consuming and expensive as it would involve intensive work from a team of SLPs which are not in great supply for the correction of severe speech disorder cases.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:25 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times
For the record, the teacher in the video has had a hard go of it since he started his enunciation campaign:

First his parents were murdered by a Chi-Town Thug...

Parents of CLTV Host Garrard McClendon Found Dead - Leshock Value

Teen admits he killed Garrard McClendon's parents - Chicago Tribune

Then he got fired:

Garrard McClendon Gets the Boot From CLTV: Chicagoist

Old 06-11-2011, 10:10 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post

What about Texanese, Cajun, Tejana, or the Hillbilla language?

Those can be challenging, too.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:37 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,100,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Why do so many people fixate on the sociocultural dialect differences for African Americans yet ignore them with other groups?

Some African Americans have a distinction in speech pattern in which there is a phonological inversion (ie ask becomes aks) and /th/ is replaced with /f/ (ie bathtub becomes baftub) In the Hispanic community, some will pronounce words ending -ing with a -jing (ie lying becomes lyjing) or there is the addition of /e/ in front of /s/ words for native Spanish speakers (ie school becomes eschool) With many Asian communities there is a tendency to replace /r/ with /l/ (ie rise becomes lize) and there can also be a tendency to delete the final consonant in words (ie step becomes ste or lid becomes li)

There are numerous articulatory and phonological "disorders" or difference that exist for each ethnic group (not to mention the ones that exist for Whites based upon regional dialects) yet somehow Blacks are the only ones with the "problem"

Huh? There are plenty of black people that pronounce the word properly. Do you think that blacks are incapable of pronouncing the word properly? Did you watch the video?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies