Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 03:17 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,189,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttowngirlll View Post
no no and no, lol I had a white friend (race doesn't matter just a point), mention that living with family cousin uncle etc is a black thing. I think she has a point. she said that white people would rather help cousin sister brother pay or watch them suffer than to allow them to live with them. Go figure. By the way she is right, lol
What?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 03:26 AM

667 posts, read 940,791 times
No, white folks do not stick together, too much individualism.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronOB View Post
No, white folks do not stick together, too much individualism.
I tried to tell the coworker that but he is just in love with the idea of "blacks need to stick together like white folks do".........

He seems to think that it's productive to be that way.......In fact I said many blacks would be scared to "stick together" mainly because they'd be so concerned about what white folks think( assuming white folks actually care).

I cannot put my finger on this sort of thinking and where it comes from but I hear it very often.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:05 AM

20,346 posts, read 19,937,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
OMG that is horrible. Have you ever been denied a job because of that jesting stereotype?
I think it's a hoot.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:54 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,666,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Some of my italian American co-workers will make innocent, off-handed comments about the Irish or Russian Americans that just crack me up.

They're convinced that we (Irish) do drink more than other cultures and like to fight.

They also love attending our wakes. Go figure.
Just curious about where you live? I live in the DC area and we don't have any type of predominant "white" group. I seriously couldn't even tell you who was Italian and who was Irish and even if I could, no one HERE takes that stuff seriously at all.

But I'm getting that in certain areas of the Northeast, it's somewhat of a big deal?

Old 06-12-2011, 06:36 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times
I think it comes down to strong families making for strong neighborhoods making for strong communities making for strong cities making for strong regions and in turn strong nations. You have a tight nit family, one that promotes responsibility and values like hard work and honesty, socialability, and they'll want to be around families that do the same. You can't try to make a community strong if the foundation isn't there, I. E. the family. No amount of activism or education or public spending is going to succeed.
Whites( and every race and ethnicity) that succeed don't so much stick together as they act the same. They work, they marry and raise families, they keep homes, they go to school and church. They support the community, the community doesn't support them. They all want the same things and go about getting it the same way. Maybe they speak different languages or go to different churches but its all basically the same. But if you're lacking in the basics you're lost and no amount of "sticking together" is going to matter. I have to say that whites along with everybody else are starting to fall away from that mind set and that why society is crumbling.
Failing as a person isn't a white/ black thing, its not a community thing. Its not a society thing. You just have to have somebody show you how to act like a decent person and then make your life good. There's no short cuts or secret answers. And you aren't a success if you're rich , just as long as you're happy.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:19 AM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,183,898 times
Your question is very generic IMO and it appears in allot of ways here that we've picked individual events to speak of.

Here is my take on the question and I offer you my answer.

If you had a large room with two entry / exit doors and all you had was white and black and you told each person to line up at either door to get in, after a while you'd see a "stick together" majority of white in one line and black in another. Then once allowed into the room IMO, you would begin to see the same "stick together" majority occupying the room as well.

Once an observation of an hour went by you tell the group thank you that everyone could leave now that the session was over you would see a total mix and harmony of races exiting both doors together.

So my point being that we all know where we want to go and we get there by different means!

Old 06-12-2011, 07:48 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,184,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
QUESTION-- Do white folks stick together?
IMO the answer to your question is... no.

At my workplace, I don't see the white folks sticking together at all. There are overriding subgroups of worker class, waitstaff versus the kitchen staff over equipment, the understaff versus management in competing to avoid the GM's critical eye. As to racial groups sticking together, from what I have observed, if the majority group is really much larger, they don't stick together at all. And certainly they aren't ganging up against any tiny minority groups. Just having the same racial makeup isn't enough to create a strong allegiance. I see strong subgroups between the men regarding sports team loyalties, and those ties are completely colour-blind.

Now there are three other Chinese people who work with me. Those three were all born in China. And even though I can't speak Chinese, I do see that they like and trust me more than my non-Asian co-workers. But it's more of a cultural bond and sharing the same morals and work ethic. We never call out sick frivolously, we are willing to work on the holidays. However, I get along best with my co-workers who are college educated, grew up in a suburb and speak English as their first language.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:55 AM

Hi Miu,

great well rounded reply. It seems like the majority rules on this:White folks do not stick together.

I knew that but my coworker seems to think otherwise......I don't know where that thinking comes from but a lot of blacks think like that.....and I hear whites say them same about blacks, go figure. The grass always looks greener from the outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
IMO the answer to your question is... no.

At my workplace, I don't see the white folks sticking together at all. There are overriding subgroups of worker class, waitstaff versus the kitchen staff over equipment, the understaff versus management in competing to avoid the GM's critical eye. As to racial groups sticking together, from what I have observed, if the majority group is really much larger, they don't stick together at all. And certainly they aren't ganging up against any tiny minority groups. Just having the same racial makeup isn't enough to create a strong allegiance. I see strong subgroups between the men regarding sports team loyalties, and those ties are completely colour-blind.

Now there are three other Chinese people who work with me. Those three were all born in China. And even though I can't speak Chinese, I do see that they like and trust me more than my non-Asian co-workers. But it's more of a cultural bond and sharing the same morals and work ethic. We never call out sick frivolously, we are willing to work on the holidays. However, I get along best with my co-workers who are college educated, grew up in a suburb and speak English as their first language.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:09 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Hi Miu,

great well rounded reply. It seems like the majority rules on this:White folks do not stick together.

I knew that but my coworker seems to think otherwise......I don't know where that thinking comes from but a lot of blacks think like that.....and I hear whites say them same about blacks, go figure. The grass always looks greener from the outside.
I think that Whites tend to think that Black people stick together but we really don't. But I do think that White people do not look at non-Whites as individuals. If they have a bad experience with one non-White person, that experience colors the way that they see ALL people who are the same race/ethnic background of that person.

For example, I am the first and only Black person who has ever been hired in a managerial role in my current company. I know that I am setting the standard for any other Black person to be considered for any similar position following me. If I screw up, they most likely would never hire a Black person again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies