Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 05:59 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,217,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
For some, that still works. I do basically all that except the shutting up part. No one can shut me up. Plus I work, although I'll be stopping here next week at 30 weeks pregnant since it's just too hard to be on my feet all day. After the baby is born, I'll be looking after our child. So I guess I fit your little cliche there...but that's what works for us. If I wanted to go back to work, I could, as long as I made enough to make it worth it to put our daughter in daycare. But we both feel it's better if she's home with me so I doubt that will happen, or I will go back to freelance writing (from home) to bring in some income. Whatever works.

Women are getting into careers and waiting for marriage these days, although I don't think feminism is the only reason, it's just what we were taught growing up, that we can go to college and get a career and make "finding a man" a lesser priority. I see it more as a result of changing times and modernization, and a growing sense that one should be self-sufficient, not b/c of some feminist movement. People will do what works for them. If they get pregnant at a young age, they will likely not go to work and settle into a relationship (however dysfunctional it will be). If they decide to go to college, they may wait to settle down. Again, I fail to see the role of feminism in all this. Maybe I'm too young to see it.
You fail to see the role of feminism in "all this" because you have no knowledge of the history of feminism .....it didn't all start the day you were born....

If it wasn't for "feminism" (sexual equality) your choices and options wouldn't have such a broad scope.

Would you like to go back to the day you couldn't vote?

You wouldn't be allowed to discuss business with men?

Have only three career choices, houseslave, teacher, prostitute?

Be told you're so incompetent you can ONLY get married and have babies, it's your ONLY role in life??

Be paid significantly less than men doing the same work because your employer thinks single women don't need as much as men???

The list is endless....don't knock feminism 'til you KNOW what it is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 07:48 AM

36,958 posts, read 31,221,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
You fail to see the role of feminism in "all this" because you have no knowledge of the history of feminism .....it didn't all start the day you were born....

If it wasn't for "feminism" (sexual equality) your choices and options wouldn't have such a broad scope.

Would you like to go back to the day you couldn't vote?

You wouldn't be allowed to discuss business with men?

Have only three career choices, houseslave, teacher, prostitute?

Be told you're so incompetent you can ONLY get married and have babies, it's your ONLY role in life??

Be paid significantly less than men doing the same work because your employer thinks single women don't need as much as men???

The list is endless....don't knock feminism 'til you KNOW what it is!
You forgot secretary and nurse.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:50 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,163,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underthesun7 View Post
Has feminism destroyed relationships and marriage for those under 30 in the U.S. I don't think all aspects of feminism are bad. However I do think that since the definition and ideology is so broad, that much of feminism actually ended up hurting us.
Only for milquetoast, insecure, limp-wristed and sad excuses for men that can't handle a woman with her own opinions.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:52 AM

36,958 posts, read 31,221,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underthesun7 View Post
Has feminism destroyed relationships and marriage for those under 30 in the U.S. I don't think all aspects of feminism are bad. However I do think that since the definition and ideology is so broad, that much of feminism actually ended up hurting us.
feminism destroyed marriage like the emancipation proclaimation destroyed slavery.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:56 AM

41,458 posts, read 60,007,217 times
Strell and 2mares - thank you for your remarks. Very well said.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:56 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,163,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
You realize the decline of marriage is the decline of a nation right?
I neither realize that or even agree with it in the slightest.

Quote:
The fact marriage is seen as bad thing and decreasing in society is another factor to how low we have sunken in this country with our morals and values.
Morals and values don't occupy some arbitrary vertical continuum. They also change and evolve over time and with changing demographics, economics and circumstances. There are no absolutes. Natural law does not exist.

Quote:
I think feminism has contributed to the blurring of gender roles. Which is why young men and women are at odds with each other now.
At odds in what way? They seem to be getting along as well as they ever did, only the playing field has been leveled for women in recent decades and centuries. I do not see how you think this is a bad thing, unless you are some kind of misogynist.

Quote:
They can't keep a relationship for few months let alone death til' they part.
Your posts is chock full of these profound, sweeping and ultimately baseless assertions.

Quote:
The new norm is having sex on the first date.
Like this one.

Quote:
It's no wonder STD's are rampant.
STD's have always been rampant. We just keep better track of them now.

Quote:
I mean, seriously? Feminine and alot of other factors such as atheist in our government

Our goverment is required by law to be secular. This is a settled point.

Quote:
...and liberalism has contributed to not only the decline in marriage but the decline in morality, class, & traditional values in our society.
I think perhaps it has eroded the influence of your particular, peculiar, outdated, unrealistic, authoritarian and narrow-minded ideas about morality, class and YOUR traditional values in our society.

Good!

Old 06-16-2011, 08:23 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,217,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
You forgot secretary and nurse.
Yup! When the world started to become a little more progressive(needing women to fill jobs thought too demeaning for men) then nursing and secretarial work opened up, along with sewing sweatshops...weren't we lucky!!

Old 06-16-2011, 08:28 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,361,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
It sure has destroyed relationships and trust for those under 30. This movement also enforced segregation between men and chicks.
Men and chicks? Don't think it is feminism that is destroying your relationships...

Old 06-16-2011, 08:31 AM

41,458 posts, read 60,007,217 times
Some boys cannot get over living without mommy so they look for another. When they cannot find one sufficiently compliant they blame feminism instead of their weak needy selves. I am overwhelmed with sympathy for these poor lost boys.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:36 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,361,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Given the ease with which men can get a divorce and skip out on the responsibility for supporting a woman and any children, many young women refuse to be some chump’s mother and playmate at the expense of their own security. The reduction in Paternalism has resulted in much more freedom and responsibility for individual women. It has also left a lot of insecure men wondering where mommy went.
You said it better than I could have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies