Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 09:05 AM

38 posts, read 22,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
I'm all for equal rights, but I do think it's gone a little too far. If a woman chooses not to follow the feminist ideals and not work, be a housewife, or whatever, then she is often considered weak and stupid by those who claim to protect her freedom to live how she wants to live.
My wife is a stay-at-home mom with our 4-year-old son (her choice). Her job is more difficult than I could ever dream my workplace would be. I think most evolved people this day and age understand that raising a child is the most difficult/important task of our lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 09:14 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,866,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorJ View Post
My wife is a stay-at-home mom with our 4-year-old son (her choice). Her job is more difficult than I could ever dream my workplace would be. I think most evolved people this day and age understand that raising a child is the most difficult/important task of our lives.
A point I raise often, but many females these days still consider it shameful to be a housewife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
My sister in law is a feminist housewife.
My definition of feminism is probably different from yours.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:18 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,849,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underthesun7 View Post
Has feminism destroyed relationships and marriage for those under 30 in the U.S. I don't think all aspects of feminism are bad. However I do think that since the definition and ideology is so broad, that much of feminism actually ended up hurting us.

Would you prefer to go back to the biblical times when the man owned the women in marriage?

If a man feels threatened by an independent woman, he does not need to marry her.

There is counseling available for men who have an impulse to dominate and treat their spouse as an object.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:19 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,837,854 times
Quote:
A point I raise often, but many females these days still consider it shameful to be a housewife.

My definition of feminism is probably different from yours.
Feminism, very simply, is the wanting of equality between men and women. There are some extremists, but they are the minority. Most feminists would not look down at a housewife.

It seems like you don't know what feminism really is.

Some of the gnarly views of second and early third wave feminists are just that, gnarly views. Not the majority.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:21 AM

38 posts, read 22,760 times
Quote:
If they don't have kids, I might see their point. Same as I'd probably sneer a little at an unemployed-for-no-particular-reason man who is not home raising kids, or working from home, etc.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:23 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,831,688 times
These women should get over worrying about what others think of them. If they decide to stay at home and raise kids that is their choice. They should be proud of what they choose. Just as their girl friends should be proud of what they choose.

I have a woman friend that changed her career after 20 years because it no longer suited her. The change is a tremendous amount of work. I support her during this time because I desire to as does my wife. She is proud of her previous career and of what she is doing.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:24 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,119,351 times
Quote:
Neither immaturity nor feminism destroyed marriage for my generation. An economic realization that marriage is not feasible for us with the aspirations of those who want more led to a decline in marriage. It costs A LOT of money to live in major metro areas. Student loans aren't going to pay themselves. Marriage often leads to children (that's the point right?) You take all that and then you have the trappings of a decline in marriage. For those that did not go to college, your wages have fallen since the 1970s...that is if you have a job. The blue collar professions make it harder to get married. In fact, the recession caused an odd blip of higher marriage rates for those with a college degree than those without. Usually, it is the other way around (roughly the same, but still slightly higher).
I completely disagree with this. I see no reason why marriage would get in the way of attaining one's higher aspirations. If you meet the right person, even if you're in college or grad school, why wouldn't you get married? And why would you just up and quit school if you got married? Of course marriage leads to children for most, but that can be put off for as long as is necessary to get on one's feet after graduating college or whatever. Blue collar professions do not make it harder to get married in any way, I fail to see your logic with this one. It may make it harder to support a family with children, but generally, combining two incomes and having only one residence and one set of bills to pay makes things EASIER on the wallet, not harder.
Quote:

More and more people are going to graduate school. Why take on the debt of another person? Why take off all that time before you get your diploma because of a baby? Simply put increased competition has made having children and getting married harder and harder.
Disagree again. If you honestly love someone, you don't really think about taking on their debt or their problems. I had a lot of credit card debt when I got married, my husband had no debt but he did have credit problems. Now the credit cards are paid off and my unfailingly great credit has helped his credit so that both of us are mid-700s, mine might even be close to 800 by now. It's a win-win. And hopefully if someone is in grad school, they are going to get a job that will pay those loans off, otherwise, the schooling wasn't worth it. But again, if you love someone and want them to be happy with what they are doing in life, you might just be willing to take on whatever student loans there may be. Your statements here are just so presumptuous. And why do you assume that when people get married, a baby follows IMMEDIATELY? Why does someone necessarily take time off to have a baby and THEN go back to get a diploma? I agree with you that extended schooling makes having children harder, but only for that period of time that one is in school, and according to you, people don't get married when they're in school, so it's a moot point, following your logic.

Quote:

The fact of the matter is that increased economic pressures with new social realities have staved off marriage talk for those under 30.
Wrong. Most of the people I graduated high school with in 2001 are either married or in a committed relationship with plans to marry. Some of these folks have kids. I'm 27 and most of my classmates were a year or year and a half older than me, so we're still all under 30. I really do not see why this is even a topic of discussion b/c the premise is just so wrong.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Feminism, very simply, is the wanting of equality between men and women. There are some extremists, but they are the minority. Most feminists would not look down at a housewife.

It seems like you don't know what feminism really is.

Some of the gnarly views of second and early third wave feminists are just that, gnarly views. Not the majority.
Don't tell me that only extremists think that way. I'm speaking from personal experience, and the general attitude, from pretty much all the women I've talked to, is that it's shameful to be a housewife. These aren't extreme feminists by any means.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorJ View Post
If they don't have kids, I might see their point. Same as I'd probably sneer a little at an unemployed-for-no-particular-reason man who is not home raising kids, or working from home, etc.
Sorry, I don't get your point. Why would they consider that to be shameful? Why would they equate that with an unemployed man?

Old 06-16-2011, 09:42 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,344,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
My wife is a feminist housewife.

I think some of the people in this thread have precious little experience with women that aren't inflatable.
Excellent observation...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies