Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 05:38 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Even if the economy were healthy, they would need to pass a drug test to get a job. So the alternative is to deal drugs.
Many employers do not drug test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 06:00 AM

1,027 posts, read 824,992 times
Most employers do it as a CYA thing during hiring.

Now if a solid hardworking employee was caught smoking a doobie at a party...would (s)he get fired? Doubtful.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:37 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,039,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
You may want to to look at the thread title for some insight on why we are focusing on this particular topic.
Wow, what a novel idea. Practice what you preach much? (not)

There are two subjects in this title thread, welfare recipients and drug use.

Welfare recipients - Firstly, without question, there is small percentage of leeches. Without a doubt we should address this problem (i.e. pay). But I think the majority of welfare recipients are either stuck in the vicious circle of poverty or find themselves temporarily poor. In either case, I highly doubt drug use is the root of the problem. Our current welfare system appears to propagate the circle of poverty and does little to fix it. Fixing it would cost us more. Ready for that? Which brings me to ...

Drug use - Where is or big problem with drug use? I will give you a hint, it ain't with the poor. It is the illegal use of prescription drugs ... predominantly in the middle class section of our society. That is where drug use really hits our productivity. Even the upper class is plagued with this problem. And it costs us much much more that a crack addicted welfare recipient. Whether it be a soccer mom addicted to Prozac, a 100 hr./ week executive hooked on coke or a doctor hooked on pain pills. That is where we will find the true effects of our drug problem.
If we are going to address these two problems, then lets do it. But not just by looking at one small piece of the problem. We certainly have issues to resolve with both of these subjects. But the needle in a hay stack method will not get us very far ......

Old 06-19-2011, 08:26 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Including alcohol and cigarettes.

If you have 5 or more children then you must agree to sterilization for any further money.

If you don't like this...then GET A JOB!!

(It would be great if Obama gave a speech declaring this!)

Sterilization? Have you seen the film "Good" slippery slope there once you begin.

Good (2008) - IMDb

Old 06-19-2011, 09:16 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
In the United States, about 37% percent of the people are on food stamps of some kind (Remember, a lot of them are kids, do you want to cut them off too?)

Only about 4.1% are on welfare, and 9.1% are on unemployment.

Now its hard to tell anyone that if you're on unemployment, you're on a government hand out. Thats because those who get unemployment paid that insurance while they worked, therefore, its not a hand out. Kind of like social security and medicare aren't hand outs, you pay for them all your working life, then you get cashed back.

Thats about 12.6 million people on welfare nationally, and about 114 million with food stamps.

It would run approximately 11.8 billion dollars a year to drug test just the welfare recipients, if you do the food stamps population you're looking at closer to a trillion dollars a year.

And what percentage would fail the drug test? Even if its 50% of all of the people on welfare or food stamps, it still wouldn't make up for the loss of the testing.

I understand the wish to want to make people use their money for what its supposed to be used for. But drug testing everyone on welfare and food stamps is simply a waste of money

Old 06-19-2011, 09:46 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,872 times
Memphis - just FYI - employers pay state and federal unemployment tax. Employers cannot take payroll deductions for these taxes, and if any do, report them pronto.

[quote=Memphis1979;19656104]In the United States, about 37% percent of the people are on food stamps of some kind (Remember, a lot of them are kids, do you want to cut them off too?)

Only about 4.1% are on welfare, and 9.1% are on unemployment.

Now its hard to tell anyone that if you're on unemployment, you're on a government hand out. Thats because those who get unemployment paid that insurance while they worked, therefore, its not a hand out. Kind of like social security and medicare aren't hand outs, you pay for them all your working life, then you get cashed back.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:51 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Sterilization? Have you seen the film "Good" slippery slope there once you begin.

Good (2008) - IMDb
I can't believe how many people on this thread have missed the whole VOLUNTARY aspect of sterilization.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:52 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
Memphis - just FYI - employers pay state and federal unemployment tax. Employers cannot take payroll deductions for these taxes, and if any do, report them pronto.
The employer matches the employees unemployment insurance payment.

Look at your check stub next time.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:54 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
I can't believe how many people on this thread have missed the whole VOLUNTARY aspect of sterilization.
Read the OP again. It was not voluntary. It was IF-ELSE.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:01 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
What would Jesus do if someone needed help? Would he drug test even if there was no reason to believe someone was using drugs, like with the elderly and disabled on welfare or the children who make up most of the individuals on welfare? Or would he decide it was a total waste of tax payer dollars?
If Jesus worked 40 - 60 hours per week to feed His family and pay His mortgage and health insurance and car insurance and put clothes on His kid's back and buy a nice thing or two for His wife every so often and Christmas presents for His kids and to feed His own face then maybe, MAYBE He would LIKE TO KNOW THAT HIS FORCED WELFARE PAYMENTS AREN'T GOING TO DOPEHEADS!!

I don't know about you but I work hard for my little bit of money. If you insist that I pay you to lie about then at least do me the favor and not use my money to buy your illegal drugs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies