Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2011, 08:36 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,312,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
This should be required reading for Biblical Literalists:

The Hero with a Thousand Faces - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
And this one.

Amazon.com: The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark (9780345409461): Carl Sagan, Ann Druyan: Books
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 08:48 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,424,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Honestly...the apostles willing CHOSE to be martyred over what they saw---not just for a belief system about a guy that supposedly lived hundreds of years prior.
What do Islamic Terrorists do?

Old 06-23-2011, 08:53 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,824,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
They try to take as many people with them as they can.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:06 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,136,221 times
That ones been on my bookshelf for many years.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:24 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,034,538 times
All I know is that school is for learning factual information. God may have created the world in seven days, I don't know, but since it is not able to be proven, it has no place being taught in school.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:42 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,085,613 times
Quote:
Very few atheists I know have any idea how Christianity started or developed. If they did, they'd probably be Christians.
LOL... you'd be stunned at how many atheists started as Christians but became atheists at least in part because they learned about how Christianity actually started and developed.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
I have the utmost confidence that the text I read was translated from a text that is more accurate than you could believe. We have manuscripts from about 125 AD. Thousands of manuscripts. No other work in antiquity compares to it.
That is certainly the orthodox Christian myth. But one need only try to reconcile the Masoretic and Septuagint versions of the OT to discover that the differences can be profound. Toss in the evidence of the Dead Sea Scrolls, and the variations only multiply.

Ultimately, of course, the argument regarding the "reliability" of the technical Biblical text is a complete red herring. The motivations for ordinary human copyists to "get it right" are both obvious and prosaic. The fact that any variations exist at all are solid evidence against any particular divine intervention in that preservation.

What actually matters is whether the content of the text is reliably true. And for that, the verdict is far more damning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist
You would do well to do a bit of study on how we determine the textual dependability of the Bible before you embarass yourself on this one. There is no contest.
Who wants to contest something as ultimately meaningless as "textual dependability?" The issue is textual truth.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Honestly...the apostles willing CHOSE to be martyred over what they saw---not just for a belief system about a guy that supposedly lived hundreds of years prior.
If you consider that the primary indicator of truth, then you should be a Muslim.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:05 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,619,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
They choose to kill themselves and others because of what someone tells them. Not what they actually see a Messiah die and rise again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
That is certainly the orthodox Christian myth. But one need only try to reconcile the Masoretic and Septuagint versions of the OT to discover that the differences can be profound. Toss in the evidence of the Dead Sea Scrolls, and the variations only multiply.

Ultimately, of course, the argument regarding the "reliability" of the technical Biblical text is a complete red herring. The motivations for ordinary human copyists to "get it right" are both obvious and prosaic. The fact that any variations exist at all are solid evidence against any particular divine intervention in that preservation.

What actually matters is whether the content of the text is reliably true. And for that, the verdict is far more damning.

Who wants to contest something as ultimately meaningless as "textual dependability?" The issue is textual truth.
I can see you're completely unwilling to actually consider the truth. Come back to me when you're willing. No amount of argument will make you believe if you want to be deluded.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:08 AM

43 posts, read 25,513 times
Quote:
They choose to kill themselves and others because of what someone tells them. Not what they actually see a Messiah die and rise again.
Plenty of Muslims claim to see visions, or to receive directives from a holy source, same as Christians. There is nothing unique here.

Quote:
I can see you're completely unwilling to actually consider the truth. Come back to me when you're willing. No amount of argument will make you believe if you want to be deluded.
You're not speaking of truth, you're speaking of belief. You "believe" in Christianity for your own reasons, not reasons related to anything practical or truthful, per se.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies