Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 04:40 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,622,593 times

Advertisements

There is nothing wrong with requiring students to be proficient in the area of science.

Arizona has an AIMS Science test but students do not have to pass it in order to graduate. I say why do we even offer a science test if everyone knows they do not have to try.

I'm ok with having diploma requirements, which this appears to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 04:42 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,622,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
So teaching them to dump iron into the ocean and build a giant space shields to shade the earth is "appropriate material" in your eyes?? LOL. UN scientists think so.
So you reviewed the curriculum and have come to the conclusion the UN scientists have written it?

Old 06-25-2011, 04:56 PM

45,577 posts, read 60,922,955 times
This is still pretty vague. We have exit exams (HSAs) in Algebra I, English 10 and Biology now which students must pass in order to graduate (the one for Government was dropped as of this year's administration).

I can't tell whether this calls for just a rewriting of existing curricula (which was just rewritten two years ago in Bio to norm with the HSA). Biology already has an environmental component in it. Government did from a land use zoning aspect.

The kicker is that MSDE is mandating system designed exit tests which means that local standards will be all over the map.

What's funny is that most systems already offer Environmental Science as an elective which many students take to avoid Chemistry. There's even an Advanced Placement course offering.

My system was all set to shut down its environmental center this year due to budget.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:16 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,181,236 times
Quote:
Anybody that doesn't realize there is a difference between pollution and the global warming faith is an ingoramus in my book.
Well then, thank goodness the are educating the students or we might wind up with more like you. If just for arguments sake, the end result is young people being environmentally conscious and responsible, which in turn lessens the pollutants and waste, that in itself is a big plus.

"Those who do not learn from their mistakes are destined to repeat them"

Old 06-25-2011, 06:05 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,056,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Well then, thank goodness the are educating the students or we might wind up with more like you. If just for arguments sake, the end result is young people being environmentally conscious and responsible, which in turn lessens the pollutants and waste, that in itself is a big plus.

"Those who do not learn from their mistakes are destined to repeat them"
So you think carbon dioxide is pollution? Go kill yourself then and save the planet as you are contributing to the pollution.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:07 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,181,236 times
Quote:
So you think carbon dioxide is pollution? Go kill yourself then and save the planet as you are contributing to the pollution.
I considered giving you a response that would be appropriate, but then I realized you are probably about twelve and that it would be more sensible to place you on my "ignore" list. Have a life that you are deserving of. Good riddance.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:59 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,056,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I considered giving you a response that would be appropriate, but then I realized you are probably about twelve and that it would be more sensible to place you on my "ignore" list. Have a life that you are deserving of. Good riddance.
So wave the white flag away there NY. So you realize co2 isn't pollution even though your EPA tells you it is and you can't refute this simple fact so you take your ball and run off. Just don't breath too much while running as your adding to the dreaded greenhouse gasses that you warmers always howl about.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:54 PM

72 posts, read 63,351 times
Quote:
So wave the white flag away there NY. So you realize co2 isn't pollution even though your EPA tells you it is and you can't refute this simple fact so you take your ball and run off. Just don't breath too much while running as your adding to the dreaded greenhouse gasses that you warmers always howl about.

Wow. All I can say is wow. It saddens me that people actually think this way.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:01 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,491,756 times
Your kids must be Green to graduate.

It's OK if they can't read though.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:27 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,185,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnttokr1 View Post
Wow. All I can say is wow. It saddens me that people actually think this way.
Presumably because it's accurate? Part of the Green movements tactics has been to produce the perception that there is an ever amount of increasing pollution and CO2 a life giving gas is part of that pollution problem. The fact is it's greenhouse gas that *may* be causing the earths temperature to rise but life would cease to exist without it.

YouTube - ‪Seeing is Believing‬‏

As far as real pollution goes by EPA estimates we have decreased the six most common air pollutants by almost 60% since 1980, you won't hear this mentioned by any environmentalist because it doesn't fit into their agenda.

Air Quality Trends | AirTrends | Air & Radiation | EPA

It wouldn't surprise me if many of them weren't even aware of it since so many of them really have no clue WTF they are talking about anyway such as this poor women:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTFUqhGkU3c
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies