Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 10:33 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,532,033 times

Advertisements

I would imagine Laura Bush's trips overseas cost about the same. People don't like it because she went to Africa. Trips and organizations being sponsored by First Ladies are not new; yet now all of a sudden conservatives have problems with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 06:38 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,739,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc42gb43 View Post
Frankly, $500,000 to help promote good relations with South Africa (the regional powerhouse) and its neighbors (Michelle Obama also visited Botswana) does not sound like all that bad a cost.

I'll start the countdown to the race baiting comments referring to Michelle Obama as a cow or a Wookie, leaving just enough plausible deniability while still blowing that dog whistle loud and clear.
Let's assume you're right and there is value to be gained from this trip> But when we are $14 trillion in the hole is this the best use of our scarce resources? The problem with politicians--and liberals in particular--is that they are unable to prioritize.

Maybe we should make it so that only seniors living on a fixed income can serve in Congress and the presidency. Those people have learned to prioritize.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:54 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,747,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
I would imagine Laura Bush's trips overseas cost about the same. People don't like it because she went to Africa. Trips and organizations being sponsored by First Ladies are not new; yet now all of a sudden conservatives have problems with them.
South Africa has NOTHING this country needs right now. This was a boondoggle for Michelle and her kids.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:16 AM

556 posts, read 623,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
The First Lady can act as a surrogate of the President. I think it was great for the first African-American first family to pay a visit to Africa. The spirit of the trip alone in that context makes the trip worth it.

I'm sure it wasn't you but whinning about a trip like this has been cheapened by people whinning about the Obama's going out to dinner and having BBQ's at the WH etc... It's all become noise about nothing. Our budget is jacked because we spend Waaaaaay too much on defense and refuse to even consider returning the tax rate to Clinton era levels. This trip is much ado about absolutely nothing.

I thought that the president was exploring his Irish roots not too long ago. How many other nations before he covers all his heritage?

Old 06-28-2011, 07:22 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,792,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanalsLB View Post
I thought that the president was exploring his Irish roots not too long ago. How many other nations before he covers all his heritage?
You do know that Michelle Obama is not the president, right?

Old 06-28-2011, 08:51 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,473,776 times
Quote:
It is a BIG deal because WE have NO MONEY!

Old 06-28-2011, 09:00 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,747,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
It is a BIG deal because WE have NO MONEY!
Don't tell Michelle Antoinette that. She is going to make sure her family "gets hers".

Old 06-28-2011, 09:06 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,231,488 times
Quote:
The country has other needs to address. It's time for the junkets to stop. All of them, including the Congressional tours.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:40 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,322,893 times
Big deal. For these types of trips, $500,000 is chicken feed. So is a million.

Look, if I took a trip to South Africa for the same amount of time, and flew coach, it'd easily cost me $5,000, and I'm nobody. I don't have a security team. I don't have a special vehicle and driver, etc.

Frankly, I'm surprised the trip cost this LITTLE.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:58 AM

855 posts, read 1,174,948 times
http://www.youlaughyouwin.com/wp-con...exbyo1_500.jpg

haters are hilarious. like every other first lady has NEVER gone on a diplomatic trip funded in part by taxpayers...

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-28-2011 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: No hotlinking, please
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies