Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 05:22 PM

232 posts, read 221,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
Most corporations avoid paying any income taxes.

"The Government Accountability Office said 72 percent of all foreign corporations and about 57 percent of U.S. companies doing business in the United States paid no federal income taxes for at least one year between 1998 and 2005."

Study says most corporations pay no U.S. income taxes | Reuters

How do they manage to do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 05:25 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,443,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJefferson View Post
So corporations have shipped jobs overseas because of America's poor infrastructure, high crime rate, and poor education. Interesting. I haven't heard that one before.
You're twisting my comments, i was specifically talking about florida, not the US. They ship jobs overseas because they can pay workers in China 1$ an hour with no breaks, overtime, or benefits, and they can pollute wherever they want. The truth is, there are some good honest corporations out there but there are also those who are more concerned about making money than their employees or the enviorment.

Also, compared to other industrialized nations, the US has a higher crime rate, is last in education most of the time, and has a poor infastructure system compared with Western Europe or Japan.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
No. Just the question itself leads me to believe you are set in your ideology and nothing I say will make you to reconsider.
Interesting. I thought my OP was highly non-partisan. In fact, I left out any mention of any candidate or party because I want to discuss the issue of 0% corporate tax just like the title and body of the OP would indicate.

I hope you have the capacity to see what you've managed to do in your first two posts in this thread. Instead of discussing the issue at hand, you first insult me, then tell ME that I'm set in MY idealogy, when in fact, I'm the one here trying to gain a better understanding of the notion of a 0% corporate tax, while you immediately draw the party line and call names.

LOL.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:30 PM

1,457 posts, read 2,028,327 times
Corporate tax or not, that is far from the ONLY tax that is imposed on a business or corporation. Very far from it depending on the business.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:31 PM

Is a corporation not owned by shareholders? Do those shareholders not pay tax on their dividends? If shareholders do pay taxes on their dividends, is that not a double tax?

Old 06-28-2011, 05:37 PM

37,215 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
Strikes me as the fastest way to create jobs. Millions of jobs overnight.

Thoughts?
Bush tried it. All the money was moved to offshore accounts and before his term ended we were heading toward a major depression.

Better idea - do away with all corporate structure, subsidies, and selective protections. Let people make their fortunes as individuals without a corporate umbrella to hide under.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:39 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,443,847 times
Quote:
Is a corporation not owned by shareholders? Do those shareholders not pay tax on their dividends? If shareholders do pay taxes on their dividends, is that not a double tax?
yes, this is true, but in the US, the dividen tax rate is between 10%-20%(depending on income). Yet in China, the dividen tax rate is 50%!!...so if this is they case, ask yourself, why is everyone shipping jobs to China and why has China's economy been growing at lightning speed for nearly 20 years?

Tax rates should be set at a reasonable rate to create a good business climate to ensue job creation and opportunities for all. But tax rates are not the only thing that determine how good a countries economy grows or how many jobs and businesses are created.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Bush tried it. All the money was moved to offshore accounts and before his term ended we were heading toward a major depression.

Better idea - do away with all corporate structure, subsidies, and selective protections. Let people make their fortunes as individuals without a corporate umbrella to hide under.
Bush tried lowering the corporate tax rate to 0%? Why would someone ship money to offshore accounts when they aren't being taxed here at home?

Please explain what you mean by 'doing away with all corporate structure'

Old 06-28-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
yes, this is true, but in the US, the dividen tax rate is between 10%-20%(depending on income). Yet in China, the dividen tax rate is 50%!!...so if this is they case, ask yourself, why is everyone shipping jobs to China and why has China's economy been growing at lightning speed for nearly 20 years?

Tax rates should be set at a reasonable rate to create a good business climate to ensue job creation and opportunities for all. But tax rates are not the only thing that determine how good a countries economy grows or how many jobs and businesses are created.
So, if i owned a share in Kraft foods, and Kraft Foods shipped all their jobs over to China, would I be subject to China's dividend tax rate?

Old 06-28-2011, 07:09 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,334,694 times
I'm all for the proposal, but a tax cut proposal without a spending cut proposal is not realistic; the government would simply pay for it with inflation taxes. I propose eliminating corporate income taxes and closing all overseas military bases to make up the budget shortfall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies