Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 03:48 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
BS! Historical facts tell us otherwise. How do you feel about tax loopholes?
What historical facts tell us that you can increase taxes, and not increase costs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 03:53 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,344,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
dur?

Goverment must spend to keep America, America... I can agree with that. But to keep the economy functioning?

that sounds strange.
The money provided to seniors and the poor gets spent turned into the economy. Cut those programs and there will be huge problems. We need to cut waste, reform spending and taxation.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:54 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,285,615 times
Corporations through payroll, investment, business and other taxes pay the same taxes as everyone else and then some.
The question is more why do lefties have a big up their butt regarding job makers? Why want more from them than anyone else when they already pay their fair share?

Old 06-29-2011, 03:56 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,285,615 times
Quote:
The money provided to seniors and the poor gets spent turned into the economy. Cut those programs and there will be huge problems. We need to cut waste, reform spending and taxation.
Maybe the poor need to work two jobs like they used to and share rental space with another family as they used to and get off the dole.

Seniors in the future may find the lack of money may also force them to have two or more in the same residence to make it.

We ran out of other people's money.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
What historical facts tell us that you can increase taxes, and not increase costs?
How was the initial statement worded? I think the poster said something about employment....

Old 06-29-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Maybe the poor need to work two jobs like they used to and share rental space with another family as they used to and get off the dole.

Seniors in the future may find the lack of money may also force them to have two or more in the same residence to make it.

We ran out of other people's money.
I own a retail operation and I know what I'm talking about. You are living in a talking point fantasy land. There is plenty of money concentrated in the top 1% of the country and they are not paying their fair share. And yes, I believe everybody should be paying federal income taxes.

LOL senior citizen "roomies"? Holy **** this country has gone to Hell.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:07 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
Huum, lets see..they pay more for taxes on an absolute amount and % right now....I don't think they should pay more. We have one of the highest tax rates for corporations today....so no more there as well....Got me, ...given close to 40-45% of people don't pay income taxes so I am not sure what services these folks are paing for? Perhaps the rich should lobby to change policies that would improve the economy for all, lowered corp tax rates, incentives to repatriate money back to the US, lobby to up our non renewable energy production.
The richest 2% of Americans control 98% of the wealth in this country.

Shouldn't that mean they pay 98% of all of the taxes we need?

Food for thought.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:10 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post

In what ways should the rich and corporate america contribute?

Accept the fines and high penalties that I would implement on all overseas and offshoring they do. Seize their corp and assets for all the illegal aliens they exploit here on our soil. and make trade tariffs so they don't get rich off someone else's labor, while more of our citizens go on welfare, because they cannot find work.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:38 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
well, we should use the Sherman Antitrust act, to break the "too big to fail" firms up, and use it to break up the health insurance industry as well.
i will add, we also need leadership from the Republicans about what to do with future "Too big to fail" issues, rather than bailouts. I don't know for a fact that the existing antitrust laws are robust enough to include systemic risk. we may need to have anti-systemic risk laws in place that are capable of breaking up any firm that is "too big to fail."

Old 06-29-2011, 04:40 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
We already know you think the poor/middle class should sacrafice by giving up some benefits to social programs such as social security, medicare, medicaid, pell grants, heating assistance, housing assistance, etc.

In what ways should the rich and corporate america contribute?
Quote:
So, they should not have to sacrifice?
Quote:
So the basic summary is from conservatives: The rich and corporate America should not have to sacrifice at all. Thats what I thought.
you just dont get it do you? the rich, and the corporations and the businesses in this country DONT PAY TAXES. they coolect them from everyone who buys a product or a service in this country. raise taxes on the rich or on business, and they pass those costs onto the public at large in the way of higher prices and or fewer jobs. the same with imposing new regulations on business, they pass the costs onto their customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Democrats have agreed to large spending cuts, but are holding out for doing something about a rule that lets businesses value their inventory at less than they bought it for in order to lower their tax burden, a loophole that lets hedge-fund managers count their income as capital gains and pay a 15 percent marginal tax rate, the tax treatment of private jets, oil and gas subsidies, and a limit on itemized deductions for the wealthy.

Think about it. There’s a significant chance that failing to raise the debt limit could provoke a renewed financial crisis — and Republicans would rather take that chance than allow a reduction in tax breaks on corporate jets.
The Will to Fight in Debt Ceiling Drama | Crooks and Liars
really? last i heard was the democrats wanted MORE spending, not less. and dont forget that it was the democrats that included a tax incentive for the rich to buy corporate jets in the steal from us package that they pushed through congress, and that the president signed into law.

as for fund managers, their money comes from INVESTMENT income, and thus is rightly taxed as a capital gain rather than as income.

one more thing, the last time congress imposed a tax on a luxury item, in 1991 with the 10% excise tax on yachts that cost $100,000 or more, it virtually DESTROYED the yacht building business in this country. in fact new zealand thanks us daily for sending them the yacht building business. and dont forget that was clinton that signed that excise tax into law, that was repealed a few years later BECAUSE IT WASNT WORKING!! do the same thing with corporate jets in this country, and you will kill that business as well, in this country at least. which means canada will be thanking us for the business.

and you liberals/progressives keep blaming bush for exporting jobs, when the reality is that its the democrats in congress that impose the regulations that cost americans jobs.

Quote:
BS! Historical facts tell us otherwise. How do you feel about tax loopholes?
really? forget about the great depression did you? how about the 70s? i agree that tax loopholes need to be eliminated, and a proper tax structure put in place, b ut just raising taxes on the wealthy or business, or both will have a detrimental effect on this country, and wont do a damn thing to solve our financial issues. we need to GROW the tax base, and in order to do that we need to get government OFF the back of business, AND the rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
well, we should use the Sherman Antitrust act, to break the "too big to fail" firms up, and use it to break up the health insurance industry as well.

we should get rid of fannie and freddie, somehow, and privatize the mortgage markets.

we should limit FDIC insured institutions to retail banking.

we should reform healthcare (again), with an emphasis on competition, deregulation, transparency, and tax equity.

we should means test social security and medicare, and we should remove the cap on the SS tax for higher-wage people.

we should reform the tax code to be much, much flatter than it currently is, removing all tax credits or deductions that distort peoples' decision making, and make rates on wages the same as rates on capital gains, or corporate income.
i agree with what you wrote here, but we need to tread lightly in doing these things, remember the rule of unintended consequences.

Quote:
Government MUST spend for our economy to function.
rubbish. the government needs to spend enough to keep going, and stay with in the constitution, after that the burden should be on the states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
We've been over this before.

Give us two dollars in spending cuts for every dollar of new taxes and it's a deal.
how about this instead, cut government spending radically, and cut regulations radically, and IF we still need to increase taxes to balance the budget, then we can have a modest increase.

Quote:
I own a retail operation and I know what I'm talking about. You are living in a talking point fantasy land. There is plenty of money concentrated in the top 1% of the country and they are not paying their fair share. And yes, I believe everybody should be paying federal income taxes.

LOL senior citizen "roomies"? Holy **** this country has gone to Hell.
yes there is a lot of money sitting on the sidelines because of the lack of knowing what is around the corner in regards to the cost of doing business, and the amount of taxes that will need to be paid, etc. if we are going to get that money back into circulation, we are going to have to get government off the backs of business, and let them make money. do that, and that money sitting on the sidelines will in fact be put into circulation, and that will increase the tax base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The richest 2% of Americans control 98% of the wealth in this country.

Shouldn't that mean they pay 98% of all of the taxes we need?

Food for thought.
yeah, poisonous food for thought. the top 1% only take in 19% of the income, but already pays nearly 40% of the taxes collected by the government. now you want them to pay 98%?? why not just declare the government bankrupt now and get the pain over with if that tax rate in instituted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies