Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2011, 08:37 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Because you didn't bother to read and understand the white paper. Do your homework:
http://mercatus.org/sites/default/fi...nd%20taxes.pdf

No one is going to take you seriously if you don't know what you're talking about, and deliberately choose to remain uninformed.
like I said, it is revenue neutral.... meaning it does not increase taxes, it just shifts them around to different payers. But even still, you can't post something that was funded by the Koch family, and then try and pretend it doesn't have a bias.

The Mercatus Center was founded by Rich Fink, former president of the Koch Family Foundations, which funds a network of market-oriented think tanks and advocacy groups. Originally it was called the Center for Market Processes and established at the Rutgers University. After the providing of several millions dollars to the George Mason University from the Koch Family it moved to George Mason in the mid-1980s before assuming its current name in 1999.[2] The Mercatus Center is entirely funded through donations, including from companies like Koch Industries[3] and ExxonMobil[4], individual donors and foundations.

Gee, I wonder what conclusion the former "Center for Market Processes" is going to reach about the effectiveness of government spending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 08:37 AM

1,457 posts, read 2,027,339 times
The top 10 Percent of earners paid 71 percent of federal income taxes.

The Top 10 Percent of Income Earners Paid 71 Percent of Federal Income Tax

National Taxpayers Union - Who Pays Income Taxes?

Old 06-30-2011, 08:38 AM

1,432 posts, read 1,091,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Raising taxes to 100% is stupid, I really wish you would quit framing the debate in that way.

However, raising their real effective tax rate to 25% would lower their ability to buy things, thus putting more goods on the market which lowers prices on them. It also would help to balance the budget (along with considerable spending cuts), which makes everyones money worth more. It would also allow for real government spending on real things that create jobs, like roads.

No, those 6 million Americans, by and large, inherited their money.
And again..it is there money, regardless of you think they earned it or not...why the heck should the Govt take it...simply because low wage earners don't want to pay for the services they recieve?

Old 06-30-2011, 08:38 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
Wealth is not income, and 2% don't use 98% of the services....those who use a service should pay their fair share....food for thought?

How much of the Govt services do 2% of the population use?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Do the richest 1% of the population use 1% of the federal governments resources?
No, they use most of the governments money and resources.

I'll tell you how, the military. The military can be seen as protecting American property. Since the wealthiest 2% control 98% of everything in this country, that means they use the lions share of budget. Not to mention food and everything else that they use which is on par with what everyone else is using themselves, if not more. Also, police protection, without it there would be anarchy in the streets, which isn't good for their businesses and bottom line, so they use more of that protection.

The top 2% of Americans use most of the governments services far more then the average American.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:40 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
A tax on financial assets would suffice. I'm not wedded to any particular ideas.... I just keep seeing this refrain, "We don't tax wealth", as if it came from the Bible that we should never tax wealth.
We dont tax wealth because you cant calculate it because you cant analize its value until its sold..

Look at the real estate industry for an example, 5 years ago a $5M property might be worth $4M today.. the only way to determine a value is to SELL IT, which THEN it becomes income.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:40 AM

1,432 posts, read 1,091,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
that's no justification for them paying less than their fair share, which is the point that you failed to address.

No, I'm telling you I want to use wealth instead of income as the basis for taxation.

the democrats tend to use men, white people, rednecks, and christians to vilify. Rich people donate too much to be criticized.

no, since it isn't your death that is being taxed, it is your inheritance.

i am not pushing their plan. in fact i don't even know what their plan is.
So what is fairness, many people with high incomes have effective tax rates of 50% on a million dollar income...your saying that is not fair compared to someone who pays no income tax and little bit of local, state tax...how do you figure that..show me the math...

Old 06-30-2011, 08:41 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:

I'll tell you how, the military. The military can be seen as protecting American property. Since the wealthiest 2% control 98% of everything in this country, that means they use the lions share of budget. Not to mention food and everything else that they use which is on par with what everyone else is using themselves, if not more. Also, police protection, without it there would be anarchy in the streets, which isn't good for their businesses and bottom line, so they use more of that protection.

The top 2% of Americans use most of the governments services far more then the average American.
Thats the biggest line of bull crap spin I've heard in my entire life. Especially considering the military is only 30% of the budget..

You dont think the middle class benefits from not having anarchy in the streets?

Old 06-30-2011, 08:42 AM

1,457 posts, read 2,027,339 times
Quote:

Laughable post, good god

Old 06-30-2011, 08:42 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
So what is fairness, many people with high incomes have effective tax rates of 50% on a million dollar income...your saying that is not fair compared to someone who pays no income tax and little bit of local, state tax...how do you figure that..show me the math...
You're having some trouble following along. I understand, it is a long thread with a lot of big words for a Tennessee fan to follow, but this is about wealth, not income.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:48 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Thats the biggest line of bull crap spin I've heard in my entire life. Especially considering the military is only 30% of the budget..

You dont think the middle class benefits from not having anarchy in the streets?
The military alone is about 30% of the budget, then if you add in the costs of the war, and veterans benefits, it goes much higher.

Who benefits from medicare? The poorer American does at a lower level, but many of the ultra rich of this country are involved in the health care industry, which draws most of that money and charges rates that are to high for the services received in a lot of cases. Who benefits from that more?

Social security? Everyone benefits equally, the ultra rich are income capped on what they can pay out, so they aren't getting anything more or less then the rest of Americans. Social security is a self sustaining system, if it were removed from the general budget, to pay for the military.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies