Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 10:20 AM

7,513 posts, read 5,756,758 times

Advertisements

Internet sales tax: Online retailers to start collecting sales taxes in California - latimes.com

Just one more reason not to do business in the dying state...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 10:23 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
... perhaps such businesses as Amazon, would be eager to move to such states as Texas where they won't have to deal with such anti-business ideas?

Old 06-30-2011, 10:34 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
... perhaps such businesses as Amazon, would be eager to move to such states as Texas where they won't have to deal with such anti-business ideas?
If you'd read the article, you'd have known that Amazon doesn't have offices in California.

Nice set-up attempt, btw. I'm curious, though. What anti-Texas rant were you going to spew once someone agreed with you?

Old 06-30-2011, 10:52 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,504,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
If you'd read the article, you'd have known that Amazon doesn't have offices in California.

Nice set-up attempt, btw. I'm curious, though. What anti-Texas rant were you going to spew once someone agreed with you?
Amazon does have affiliates in California, that they have now told to move out of the state:

Quote:
Many of about 25,000 affiliates in California, especially larger ones with dozens of employees, are likely to leave the state, said Rebecca Madigan, executive director of trade group Performance Marketing Assn. The affiliates combined paid $152 million in state income taxes last year, she pointed out
So glad I left that state.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Amazon does have affiliates in California, that they have now told to move out of the state:

So glad I left that state.
Affiliates are not the same thing. I was an Amazon affiliate for a while. An affiliate is a person (or company) that puts Amazon ads on their website(s). Hardly the same thing as having employees or offices in the state.

I'm glad I left, too. The only thing I miss is the weather, and the longer I'm gone, the less I miss it. I DON'T miss the humidity, though.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:

Clearly, "reading" something doesn't cut it. Try to understand the premise of what you read.

Such online retailers have the same issue with Texas as well. I'm sorry if you feel that not participating in double standards you prescribe to, just pointing at a reality that it ain't just California, makes me "anti-Texas".

Old 06-30-2011, 11:00 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,504,903 times
Quote:
Affiliates are not the same thing. I was an Amazon affiliate for a while. An affiliate is a person (or company) that puts Amazon ads on their website(s). Hardly the same thing as having employees or offices in the state.

I'm glad I left, too. The only thing I miss is the weather, and the longer I'm gone, the less I miss it. I DON'T miss the humidity, though.

Affliates will be told to leave the state and go to Texas or Colorado, anywhere not CA.

This will cut jobs in an already horrible California job market so they can yield a higher short term tax increase.

On the other hand, Walmart will be happy.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Such online retailers have the same issue with Texas as well.
Thanks for answering the question.

Edit: BTW, do you have a source that backs up that claim?

Old 06-30-2011, 11:07 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,194,433 times
Quote:
Amazon prefers Seattle for it's highly educated and informed population and workforce. They're adding jobs there and not Texas. The poverty rates in Texas are horrible, so I can't see why a tech company would want to move there.

The economy in Texas is booming because of natural resource industries. I haven't seen any data linking it to the business environment.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Thanks for answering the question.

Edit: BTW, do you have a source that backs up that claim?
Gladly. Besides, your thread is redundant anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
Amazon prefers Seattle for it's highly educated and informed population and workforce. They're adding jobs there and not Texas. The poverty rates in Texas are horrible, so I can't see why a tech company would want to move there.

The economy in Texas is booming because of natural resource industries. I haven't seen any data linking it to the business environment.
Austin is primarily the bright spot, along with (somewhat) Dallas and Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies