Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 03:18 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,957,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
My understanding is Austin is booming because of Tech companies relocating operations from California.
That is correct. We have numerous tech companies in Texas with many more moving here. In fact, in DFW area you can go to many areas where standing in the same place you could throw a rock and hit 3-4 major technical companies without ever moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
More mindless California bashing. Several other states have passed the same law, and yes, even Texas has gone after Amazon for not collecting sales taxes, so I guess you shouldn't do business with any of those other states either.

Amazon to close Texas distribution center amid sales tax fight
Correct, Texas also has issues with internet sales taxes (it perturbed me when I moved here that they would have such when they do so well in many other aspects concerning business).

As for California, I lived there for over 30 years before I moved away. No need to bash California, it does a fine job of doing it itself. That state is a perfect example of activism corrupting politics and putting its residents in a stranglehold.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:26 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times
Just another violation of the Constitution. Nothing to see here move on.

The U.S. Supreme Court in 1992 ruled that states cannot tax businesses that aren't physically within their boundaries. Such taxes would regulate interstate commerce, which is a federal government prerogative.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:32 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,504,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
I agree, people are missing the point.

If you live in California and buy something from Amazon you will get taxed as if Amazon was a Brick and Mortar store (physical location). It is not only Amazon. It is all online retailers who do not already collect tax in the state of California.

Other states are/will be passing similar taxes.

No one is happy about it.

It was good while it lasted but most people knew this was going to happen. Death and Taxes...
Only 1 problem, Amazon has not a Brick and Mortar location within California.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:43 PM

431 posts, read 929,819 times
Got to come up with some way to cover the Billions they spend on illegals

California is a fun to state to visit, but I could never live there.

Yes Texas has it's bad parts, but to act like California especially parts of LA don't resemble parts of Mexico etc, is just ignorant and crazy.

Who's this Tax going to hurt the most? Middle Class perhaps?

Old 07-01-2011, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Only 1 problem, Amazon has not a Brick and Mortar location within California.
True, but I believe they have many affiliates in such to which they have deals with and such a tax burden brings about problems for them. Now depending on business, this may be a big of enough issue to cause specific businesses or "affiliates" to relocate as to avoid the loss of contract with Amazon.

Either way, it is bad news for California.

Texas is just as bad with its Tax, however... Texas doesn't stick it up businesses arses in other ways like California does. CA is looking hard for revenues to justify its stupidity. Each time it does... well... it finds that businesses are leaving.

There is no escape of CA's policies. It will be the downfall of the state. The question is... was it planned or was it simply a matter of stupid people in office. Time will tell...

Old 07-01-2011, 12:39 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right Side_TX View Post
Who's this Tax going to hurt the most? Middle Class perhaps?
It's not a new tax because people in California are supposed to pay sales taxes on all of their internet purchases already.

And why would it hurt the middle class or anyone else? No one has to buy from Amazon.com.

This is just silly whining - especially since several states do the same thing. It's because it's California that the nutbars are going wild.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:42 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Either way, it is bad news for California.
How so? How will it hurt California to collect sales taxes that were due anyway?

Quote:
Texas is just as bad with its Tax, however... Texas doesn't stick it up businesses arses in other ways like California does.
Oh really?

Amazon Sues Texas For Sales Tax Audit « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

Old 07-01-2011, 01:05 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I imagine that the various California companies can run for now, but sooner or later whatever state they land in will pass the same law.
Do you know why so many CC companies are headquartered in Deleware?

Old 07-01-2011, 05:53 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,016,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Do you know why so many CC companies are headquartered in Deleware?

Because Delaware's laws on corporations are more corporation-friendly than most other states.

Why, I cannot recall. It is something I learned in law school back in the early 80s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies