Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2011, 08:19 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I spent only about 12 weeks there and ran into my first experience with racial hatred there. I was in the Army and did basic training at Ft. Ord in the fall of 1954. I went with my buddy to Monterey for a weekend the first time we got a pass. Poor Tex was a black kid so when the desk man at the hotel told me had a room for me but Tex couldn't stay there with me all I could think of to do was to threaten to jam the room where it would do the most good and tell him that any more words like that would result in his getting his ass beat. Now come back and tell me that not everybody was that way. One was one too many as far as I was concerned. I just couldn't believe that kind of racism in California and still can't.
And incidents like that never happened in Kansas?

California actually has a large conservative population. Take away the Bay area and Los Angeles proper and you'll find many folks of your liking. Especially in the central valley....

Old 07-06-2011, 08:31 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,505,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
You can be more inclusive if you're not indoctrinating the children of parents who don't want that instruction in the school system.
What instruction? Real history? LOL..Like I've said before, a certain segment of the population wants propaganda taught as history not history as it was. Also, parents voted for the officials that approved this so they had their say so. This happens to be a democracy. So now, in California, children will learn that gay people were an intergral part of American history, Oh, the horror.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:32 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Is California going to remove anyone who wasn't gay from the history books ?

Old 07-06-2011, 08:40 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,505,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No, just the unequal representation of disenfranchised people in our true recorded history. I know that scares the wingnuts.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:45 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Will all historical figures be identified by their sexuality? I'm thinking something after their name like we identify political party affiliations (R) = republican, (D) democrat. Harvey Milk (HO), George Washington (HE), Lady Ga Ga (BI). I guess for those historical people where it isn't clear a (?) could be added. Probably make the textbooks a bit thicker, but if its adding relavent information, why not?

Old 07-06-2011, 09:28 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
No, just the unequal representation of disenfranchised people in our true recorded history. I know that scares the wingnuts.
Like who ? And I don't mean in the civil rights area either.
So there has to be a balance ? Equal number of gays and heterosexual people ?

Old 07-06-2011, 09:33 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,853,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Therefore it is necessary to let our children know that gay folks exist and have made positive contributions to our society......just like many other minority groups.
Who says it's necessary?

Old 07-06-2011, 09:38 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,853,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
If gay people represent about 5% - 10% of our population should we try for a 50/50 mix in our text books or should we actually make it equal to the population?

Old 07-07-2011, 11:49 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,539,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Therefore it is necessary to let our children know that gay folks exist and have made positive contributions to our society......just like many other minority groups.
That is the role of a parent and organzied minority groups. Every blind or deaf child is told about Helen Keller. Every kid in a wheelchair is told about FDR. Every black kid knows about Obama.

I have a family member that has Aspergers. We point out how people with Aspergers have excelled - Bill Gates, for one. But do you know or care if Bill Gates has Aspergers? It doesn't really apply to you. Now you know. It's interesting, but I'm not sure that should be taught in school.

That's how LGBT should be handled too. It will come up in conversation, people will learn about a successful person's orientation because that information is out there. It is the age of the internet.

I don't suggest hiding anything, but I'm not sure if all that information is relevent to everybody. It's a parent's job to help identify role models for their kids - not the school's job.

Last edited by MissNM; 07-07-2011 at 11:59 AM..

Old 07-07-2011, 01:06 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,128,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomba View Post
I lived there most of my life and it has become a sewer. If you don't see that then, well, you're lost.

And there's closer to 35 million people there only half are probably illegal freeloaders.
Where did u live? Nor? so? My area is lovely. Good parks, warmth, excellent schools, nice people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies